HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-25-2005, 11:25 AM   #21
Unregistered

I am delighted you are already a convert to the principles of the importance of diet, - and more disciplined than I am.

I am equally slightly embarassed!

You have not included whey as a protein source from what you have written. Do look it up in relation to breast cancer, and maybe talk to your nutritionalist. I would be interested to hear any comment.

I wish you the best of outcomes,

RB
Old 12-26-2005, 07:58 AM   #22
Rupali

Hi RB,

Thanks for the advice on WHEY Protien. I am going to present it to my nutrionist this Friday and leave a message with it for my naturopath today.
I think WHEY PRotien might be a good thing to naturally get me out of that chemo RBC suppresion phase and I hate to go the route to get ARANESP or any extra medication.
Is the lowering of hemoglobin after dose dense chemo something others have also experienced.
Any other tips for improving the hemoglobin by diet is appreciated.

Regards,
Rupali
Rupali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 06:37 PM   #23
IVW

periods returning and recurrence of bc

I was supposedly post-menopausal after high-doses of chemo. at age 39. I did not have a period for 3 years while taking tamoxifen. Then, my tumor markers started going up and what looked like bone mets in my ribs showed up in a bone scan. I was taken off tamoxifen and I immediately got my period. My oncologists suggested not truly being postmenopausal contributed to the return of my cancer as it was ER+.

I was put on Zoladex; it did not keep me from getting my periods. I finally got my ovaries out (no big deal for me, I have 3 kids) and I am glad to really be post-menopausal now. Aromasin did not work for me even without ovaries. Only herceptin and navelbine cleared out my mets in my body. Later radiation helped brain mets.

Isabelle
Brain mets survivor and proud of it.
IVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 11:16 PM   #24
Rozebud

Rupali - I have a similar dx to you, 11/18 positive nodes, her2+, but ER- and only PR+23%. However, I want to attack it with all the guns I can.

My periods never really stopped during chemo, just got erratic (I was 33 when dx'd). I started on tamoxifen right after my last taxotere (and while on herceptin but couldn't do AIs due to being premenopausal). I had 2 periods when I went into my oncologist for my 3 month checkup after starting tamoxifen. My oncologist said I had to shut down the ovaries immediately, so we started zoladex shots. Essentially, if you are higher risk, like you and I, they'll want to do tamoxifen and ovarian suppression, even if you are low er/pr to be aggressive.

This article will help you understand it more.

http://www.breastcancer.org/r_0511d.html

I'd like to do AIs but my oncologist won't do it unless I have my ovaries out, even though I've been on the shots with no period for over a year. So I guess that's my next step, I just hadn't been ready to do it yet. I've been needing to process the idea of being in permanent, irreversable menopause (which I HATE with the hot flashes) and not being able to have any more children (which I know in my head but my heart struggles with). Although it's either that or these stupid shots for another 10-15 years, and they are not fun.

Dx'd 1/04 at 33, while 33 weeks pregnant

Dx: Stage IIIC IDC, ER-, PR+ (23%), Her2=2.7 (IDC)/7.6 (FSH), 2.5cm primary tumor, grade III, 11/18+ nodes (largest 3.8 cm)

Treatment: A/C *4, T *4, 1 year of herceptin (BCIRG 006), mastectomy, rads (7 weeks), zoladex (5 years) with tamoxifen (2 years)/aromisin (3 years), bilateral SGAP summer 05 at NOLA

Oops, retested tumor and I guess I'm er/pr- after all.
Stopped all hormonal tx 10/07. Periods resumed 6/08. Bye bye hot flashes!!!!

http://www.edrie.com/kopecky
*~VISIT OUR FAMILY!~*
Rozebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 04:36 AM   #25
Susan

Hi, I've been on herceptin for 3 months now, after AC, and rads, and getting monthly faslodex injections for ER+. In the last week or so, i've started to have cramping, and now my period is back, I'm bummed. I know my onco. said to call if i started to having a discharge, so I'll give him a ring today. I haven't had a period since sept. I wonder what's next?

Sue
Susan is offline   Reply With Quote