HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-21-2006, 07:08 AM   #1
clisa

embolization

Well after some thought we have pretty much decided to go ahead with the embolization surgery on my liver. The surgeon feels if we wait too much longer we will not be able to do surgery ever as my portal vein may be too weak.

The chemo options have not done their jobs and the tumours continue to grow very aggressively. Unfortunately the one that has spread out from the liver to grow around my gallbladder duct continues to give me much pain and makes digestion overall a nightmare. Pain control has been a problem itself.

The other main vein is growing around my main portal vein. Doctor is concerned about this as the plan is to embolize the other vein and this will put more work on my portal vein to keep my liver going but hopefully kill the tumours blood supply.

Scary but looks like the best option at this point - had herceptin/navelbine chemo yesterday - my first chemo in four weeks so that has done alot to releive my anxiety. One more meeting with the surgeon before we make the call - has anyone on here had embolization or chemo embolization - what was the process like for you and was it successful?

Thx again Lisa
clisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 03:02 PM   #2
Esther

Lisa, I hope everything goes smoothly with your embolization. I have not had it done but have of others where it was a success.

Keep us posted and let us know how it goes. This is something that I am keeping in mind for a future possibility, as I have liver mets also, that are now sleeping thanks to chemo.
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:24 PM   #3
tammymarie1971

Hi Lisa..I haven't personally experienced embolization, but I have a friend on another message board who did it in December..http://boards.webmd.com/topic.asp?topic_id=3

Her name is Terri screen name pvb31 mom: She is very nice and would probably be very helpful...warning though she has had a rough go of it...long time recouping but she could maybe give you advice. Take care and best of luck with your decisions.
Tammy
Dx'd Dec'01 while 6mos preg. with #4. child (30yrsold)Mastectomy/AC chemo/radiation/ Recur:Mar'04 liver mets: 3 taxol/herceptin /liver resection/3 taxol/herceptin. Cured?
Recur: May'05 spine & Hip. New onc
treatment in Mexico Feb'06-Mar-06
back to Mexico June/July '06
Currently on herceptin/Zometa/Femara-recently added navelbine
Switched to arimidex Nov'06
ovaries removed June '07
ca15-3 in May'06 was 102
ca15-3 summer of '07 holding steady at 23!
ca15-3 slowly rising Dec & Jan 36, 38, 41 and Feb was 36
Feb '08 Liver, lung & Brain scan NED... bones are stable with even a couple spots gone. as compared with '06 scans
May '08 ca 15-3 is 55. Treatment is zometa, vinorelbine, herceptin and aromasin.
No signifcant changes.
Feb'09 Started Xeloda with herceptin..no more hormonals
Feb'09-June'09 tumor markers coming down again from 155 to 84
May'09 blood clots in lungs vena cava filter put in..Heparin shots daily for now.
tammymarie1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:49 PM   #4
Lolly

Lisa dear, I don't have any advice as I don't know much about this procedure, but I just wanted to add my well wishes and let you know you're in my thoughts and prayers. I will be looking for your update after your talk with your surgeon. Best wishes!

<3 Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:19 PM   #5
al from Canada

Dear Lisa,

I recall reading somewhere that this proceedure allows you to increase chemo doseage by more that a factor of 40 because it is not systemic. If Linda fails her biological therapies then this would be our next best option. (In my opinion)

Good luck,
Al
Old 02-22-2006, 08:58 PM   #6
sherri

Dear Lisa,

I'm sorry you have such a rough time. You are in my thoughts and I'm hoping this will be the beginnig of getting better soon. Please let me know if I can do anything for you. Where do you go for the surgery, VGH or LG?

Big hugs,
sherri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 03:43 PM   #7
clisa

thanks all

Been a rough few days - all my doctors can't agree on my pain management so have been going back and forth between fentanyl pain patches and oxycodone tablets and morphine tablets and all the other drugs to manage the side effects and still I have pains and constant vomiting and dizziness. I have had it and have decided to listen to my body.

Went back to my GP yhis morning - who is fabulous - who really listens and explained to her that I do not have constant pain so why do I need constant medicating - no nausea or dizziness before they put me on these pain meds so why was I doing it - feeling worse than before they all started treating me.

She was great and has me hooked up with a pain mgmt expert at my local hospital who is treating the pain with a fast acting short term medication with no side effects called sutafen. Guess what - that means no more dizziness, no nausea - just pain relief when I need it. Gee who would of thought. You really have to fight to get listened to.

Back to see my oncologist tommorrow to touch base re the embolization surgery and how my chemo went (very well by the way no side efects).

Thansk all for your hugs & best wishes - even though I do not know any of you personally they mean the world to me.

Lisa
Old 02-24-2006, 07:58 PM   #8
clisa

Smile surgery put off

Well the visit to my onc went good today - he wants to push back my embolization surgery and try a few more chemo sessions first.

Now that we have the pain situation under control - last night felt an attack come on - took my medication and boom the pain was gone. What a relief. He thinks that being back on chemo could shrink that tumour around the bile duct back down or away as well as shrink the one around the portal vein.

That way when I do have to have the surgery - no options left - my portal vein will hopefully be in better shape and there will be less risk than at this time.

This all makes sense now that I think back - was only getting like one gallbladder attack every three weeks when I was on my old chemo and soon as I was off for 4 weeks that was when they increased to every couple days and then every day so...

will try to eat well for my liver and gallbladder - had real food today for the first time - yeah - and put my trust back in my chemo.

Lisa
Old 02-25-2006, 06:16 PM   #9
Lolly

Lisa, I'm so relieved to know you have the pain under control. And it sounds like a very reasonable plan you and your onc have come up with. Now that you're able to eat again you can concentrate on gaining your strength for chemo and eventually surgery. Thanks for the update
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote