HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Old 12-20-2010, 07:28 PM   #1
DancerDonna

New research on herceptin?

I was diagnosed with HER2neu +breast cancer the 2nd time in June. The first time was five years ago, +++; this time the tumor was only 1 mm so the lab could diagnose it as HER2neu but didn't know how strongly +. The first tumor was strongly + for estrogen and progesterone; the 2nd negative for progesterone and only 5% + for estrogen.

I can only hope I have no positive lymph nodes. I wanted repeat sentinel node biopsy, but only got the technia injection the day before mastectomy. The general surgeon doing the mastectomy skipped the blue dye injection because my plastic surgeon asked her to in the OR. He expressed a concern for the risk of necrosis in my transplanted tissue for reconstruction.

I just got a port again today. My oncologist's plan is for herceptin for only 6 months. I would like to take it for a year again. Does anyone know of recent research or data to support a year of herceptin? If a positive node had been identified, I'd be taking it for a year as well as 3 months of taxatere.

Please post if you know of supporting research or data. Thanks!!
stage IIA, L. breast 1.6 cm ductal carcinoma, E+, Pr+, HER2+, 5/12/05; lumpectomy, chemo: adriamycin & cytoxin 4 x 3 wk., taxol 12 x 1 wk., herceptin 1 yr., rads, arimadex started 2/06 & still taking; sentinel node biopsy: 1st node had 1.5 cm tumor broken out of encapsulation & 2nd had microscopic cells, 3rd was clear. Lymphedema in L. arm & hand 6/06 caused by breast infection caused by breast leaking seroma thru nipple.
New ductal carcinoma tumor 6/21/10 in l. breast again with insitu. Size of tumor estimated at 1 mm from biopsy on 6/21 & breast MRI on 6/25. HER2+ again but only 5% E+ & Pr-. Mastectomy & SIEA or DIEP flap procedure with another sentinel node biopsy planned for early Sept.
DancerDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:46 PM   #2
Jackie07

Re: New research on herceptin?

DancerDonna,

How unfortunate that you've found a recurrence! How fortunate the recurrence was caught so early at just 1mm! I'm farely sure your initial treatment had helped to avert a more complicated situation.

Have you got a compression sleeve and glove? I got a bug bite during chemo for the recurrence in 2007 and the 'cellulitis' caused lymphedema. I've been wearing them daily.

The only thing I can offer is that even at 5% ER +, Tamoxifen or an AI is still indicated after chemo. That was the '2nd opinion' I had received from my 2nd Sister-in-law's breast oncologist back in 2009-2010 before my hysterectomy/oophorectomy.

Sending you good vibes.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:11 AM   #3
DancerDonna

Thanks for the good vibes, Jackie. I had a mammogram and the radiologist recommended it be repeated in 6 mo. instead of a year because he saw a small patch of fatty necrosis. I asked for a biopsy the next day. The radiologist said he wanted me to be able to sleep the next 6 mo. I told him I wasn't thinking about sleep; I was thinking I could have metastatic cancer in 6 mo.

The biopsy actually obliterated the 1 mm tumor; no more of it was found by the lab in my breast. But one surgical oncologist I saw when I was doc shopping (I had DIEP reconstruction in Memphis; Nashville doesn't have any DIEP plastic surgeons.) told me he'd done one mastectomy in which a woman had a 2 mm tumor, but 4 positive lymph nodes.

I am still taking arimadex, an aromotase inhibitor, from the first occurrence. Yes, I have sleeves and also gloves. I've had lymphedema since a year after the first occurrence. I lost only three lymph nodes with a sentinel node biopsy, but my nipple started leaking seroma 10 months after my lumpectomy. A month later, the breast had an infection. One month after that, I had lymphedema in both my arm and hand.

In addition to wearing a sleeve and glove, I also have a Reid sleeve for night wear. It has about a dozen velcro straps on it and came with a gauge to reset them. Wearing it is similar to the type of wrap that a lymphedema physical therapist will do to help control swelling.

Best wishes and blessings to you.
stage IIA, L. breast 1.6 cm ductal carcinoma, E+, Pr+, HER2+, 5/12/05; lumpectomy, chemo: adriamycin & cytoxin 4 x 3 wk., taxol 12 x 1 wk., herceptin 1 yr., rads, arimadex started 2/06 & still taking; sentinel node biopsy: 1st node had 1.5 cm tumor broken out of encapsulation & 2nd had microscopic cells, 3rd was clear. Lymphedema in L. arm & hand 6/06 caused by breast infection caused by breast leaking seroma thru nipple.
New ductal carcinoma tumor 6/21/10 in l. breast again with insitu. Size of tumor estimated at 1 mm from biopsy on 6/21 & breast MRI on 6/25. HER2+ again but only 5% E+ & Pr-. Mastectomy & SIEA or DIEP flap procedure with another sentinel node biopsy planned for early Sept.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:01 PM   #4
DancerDonna

I asked for help from forum participants if anyone knew of new research in support of herceptin for small HER2 + tumors without known + lymph nodes. I didn't hear of this from anyone, but found some support myself. This is an article from BreastCancer.org The abstract is listed: http://www.breastcancer.org/treatmen.../20101129b.jsp

Merry Christmas!!