HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Inflammatory Breast Cancer
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2012, 05:19 AM   #1
Lani

Thumbs up Vitamin D treatment may have potential to decrease rate and incidence of mets in IBC!

Clin Exp Metastasis. 2012 May 20. [Epub ahead of print]
Differential effects of vitamin D treatment on inflammatory and non-inflammatory breast cancer cell lines.
Hillyer RL, Sirinvasin P, Joglekar M, Sikes RA, van Golen KL, Nohe A.
Source
The Department of Biological Science, The University of Delaware, 321 Wolf Hall, Newark, DE, 19716, USA.
Abstract
Vitamin D is a known regulator of breast cancer cell proliferation, apoptosis, migration, invasion and differentiation in vitro. Recent studies have suggested a preventative role for vitamin D in breast cancer development and suggested a possible therapeutic application of vitamin D for patients with various forms of breast cancer. Inflammatory breast cancer (IBC) is a highly aggressive and phenotypically unique form of breast cancer that has a very poor prognosis. IBC invades the dermal lymphatics of the breast as tumor emboli early in the course of the disease. Because of the invasive nature of IBC, novel therapeutics are needed desperately. In the current study we examined the effect of the active form of vitamin D, calcitriol, treatment on the aggressive IBC phenotype. Herein we demonstrate that although the vitamin D receptor (VDR) is present in both IBC and non-IBC cell lines, the effect of vitamin D treatment is significant only on the IBC cells. SUM149 IBC cells showed increased protein concentration in response to 24 h of calcitriol exposure; likely mediated by an increase in protein synthesis as opposed to increased cellular proliferation. In addition, treatment with 100 nM calcitriol showed a significant decrease in SUM149 migration (67.8 % decrease, P = 0.030), invasion (43.9 % decrease, P = 0.015), and tumor spheroid size (69.4 % decrease, P = 0.018) compared to nontreated control groups. Finally, calcitriol treatment of SUM149 cells led to significantly fewer IBC experimental metastases as compared to control. Our study demonstrates that calcitriol treatment of SUM149 affected several of the processes important for IBC metastasis but had little effect on MDA-MB-231 cells. Therefore, calcitriol treatment may have the potential to decrease the rate and incidence of metastasis in IBC patients.
PMID: 22610818
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:15 PM   #2
Ellie F

Re: Vitamin D treatment may have potential to decrease rate and incidence of mets in

Thanks again Lani. This is really interesting and promising given its natural origins.my understanding is that ibc is more prevalent in parts of Africa and also in African American women.i have heard that darker skins make it harder for vit d to be synthesised so wondered about a possible connection. Looks like I need to continue the sun exposure and supps not only for osteoporosis but bc as well!
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:05 AM   #3
Basilic

Re: Vitamin D treatment may have potential to decrease rate and incidence of mets in

Interestingly enough, I tested low for vitamin D last year and was low normal the year before. I was put on a megadose of vitamin D supplement around March of 2011 and when tested a couple months later my levels where back in the "normal" range. I was diagnosed with IBC at the start of 2012.
Basilic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
jacqueline1102

Hello all,

I, too, have been diagnosed with IBC as of October, 2011. About 18 months before dx, I asked my doctor to run a thyroid test, Vitamin D, and Cortisol test. I was just feeling exhausted despite entering a wonderful new chapter in my life; career and personal. Results determined that my thyroid was low, Vitamin D was markedly low, and cortisol was elevated. I am now calling this a medical trifecta. Interesting that you all had low levels of Vitamin D.

An interesting study from the University of Chicago discussed cortisol elevation with newly diagnosed breast cancer patients. Their discussion advocated that a future study should examine cortisol levels of women before diagnosis. Hypothesis being that higher cortisol levels becomes a risk factor for breast cancer.
jacqueline1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:13 AM   #5
Ellie F

I totally believe that high cortisol is a big factor. For 2 years before diagnosis I experienced massive stress of the type that is with you day and night and interferes with most aspects of your life. It seems as if this in some way damages cells at a molecular level rendering them more vulnerable to malignant changes. I suspect when combined with some other factors including low vit d the scene is set for the development of bc.I also suspect that stress/cortisol in some way activates NF-kb which has been implicated in many cancers
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:27 AM   #6
karen z

Many thanks for this post.
Karen Z
karen z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:36 AM   #7
Jackie07

Another point for Vitamin D...

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:43 PM   #8
Midwest Alice

I also has the type of stress that interfears with all of life. This was in the three years before the onset of IBC. I didn't tract my D levels but am sure they were off.
08/08, Herceptin/tax 12 every week
10/08, CT/PET clear, ? on pelvis, hips, MUGA 43, started Enalaprial for heart, Herceptin every 3 weeks
11/08 33Rads; 12/08 MUGA 48
2/09 MRI spine and bone scan, old mets to spine, Chest x-ray, blood work, IV NED,regular CPAP use,Zometa x6, first -flue like symptoms 2 days;Herceptin x3; stage 2 lymphoedema..sleeve and glove
4/09 Brain MRI - CLEAR; MUGA 54
7/09 chest ultrasound,
10/09 PET, brain and spin MRI NED Herceptin only. MUGA 59!!!
1/11 Hip replacement 7/11 Hip 2 replacement
4/12 4 years!! Herceptin
6/12 start reconstruction finish in 12/12
2/14 Herception - 6 years!!!

1 Corinthians 10:13 "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you
can stand up under it."

Midwest Alice is offline   Reply With Quote