HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

View Poll Results: Were you biopsied based on mammographic calcs w/o any palpable or verified mass?
Yes 10 40.00%
No 15 60.00%
I'm not sure 0 0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2008, 01:36 PM   #1
AlaskaAngel

Imaging prior to biopsy

I would like to post this question as a poll, to see what is commonly done in our group when a biopsy is recommended.
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:36 PM   #2
StephN

Hi AA -
Maybe you could redo this poll, as it does not apply to those of us who found our lump which did not appear on a recent mammogram.

Since my lump was palpable and mammogram was within 3 months, they went ahead a biopsied with no imaging.

Not quite sure what you are driving at with this one.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:26 PM   #3
AlaskaAngel

Question Finding cancer

Hi StephN,

Thanks for the question -- The reason I am asking is to try to nail down whether or not it is still standard practice to have to be recognizable lump found either by palpation or by imaging prior to going ahead with a biopsy.

In other words, I want to know whether a biopsy would be recommended without any evidence beyond something like calcifications on a mammogram.

A family member in the Lower 48 has been recommended to have a stereotactic biopsy, but no lump has been either felt or imaged by ultrasound or MRI or anything, and her mammogram shows just coarse calcifications, and she is having trouble getting any imaging authorized to verify that there is any lump. This is not standard practice as I know it and would result in an awful lot of benign biopsies (and the trauma both physical and emotional that goes with it all). So I am hoping to double check here with others to see if the standard has for some bizarre reason changed in this respect.

AlaskaAngel
Old 12-08-2008, 06:17 PM   #4
Becky

I could answer both ways. As you know, I found my IDC in my right breast via self exam. I had a mammogram and since "lefty" needed to be done in 4 months, we mammogramed both sides. Lefty had clustered microcalcifications that were also surgically biopsied during my rightie lumpectomy. Lefty was dcis so I can answer yes to one side and no to the other. I have not voted due to this so I don't screw things up for you.

Secondly - prior to surgery the lump was biopsied via fine needle but the left was not and done surgically. It was small and they probably would have missed it anyway (as it was only 3mm of dcis)

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"

Last edited by Becky; 12-08-2008 at 06:19 PM.. Reason: Additional comment
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:07 PM   #5
karenann

AA,

I don't want to mess up your poll either... I found my lump via self exam. When I went to have a mammogram, even with the little sticky arrow they stuck right where the lump was, it was hard to see anything (very dense breasts), so they did an ultrasound and found the solid mass.

Karen
karenann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:42 PM   #6
dlaxague

lump not required, as far as I know

Hi AA,

I, too was wondering where you were going with this. I can't respond to your poll either because it doesn't apply to my situation.

My sense is that most of us on this list are not brand new to breast cancer diagnosis, so you will not be getting current practice information anyway. Someone recently told me that breastcancer.org has lots of forums on many specific topics - perhaps that would be a place to look for input on current practice standards.

But I do know that both DCIS and lobular cancer can present without a palpable or distinct lump. I'd even wager that most DCIS is found when they see calcifications rather than distinct lumps. But I don't know know much about this so don't count my opinion for much. I think that they are able to tell (sometimes) which are okay calcifications and which are suspicious.

Now that we have so many more imaging options after diagnostic mammography or U/S, I'm not sure if there is a standard of care regarding how to proceed and where the biopsy enters the picture. I'll be curious to hear what others have to say.

Debbie Laxague
dlaxague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:39 PM   #7
madubois63

Well, I don't apply to this poll either. Inflammatory bc is not detected with a mammo and there is no lump. I found a small patch of hard, scaly, warm skin. I went to the gyno and he said "Go home, it's nothing. Put some warm pads on it and it'll go away." I was stage IV - idiot!! The next doctor ordered an ultrasound, and then that tech ordered a biopsy.

My mom could answer your poll as yes.
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol
Tamoxifen 4 1/2 yrs
Radiation - 32 x
Metastatic BC lung/liver 10/04
thorocentesis 2x - pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carbo
Femera/Lupron
BC NED 4/05
chemo induced Acute Myeloid Leukemia 5/06
Induction/consolidation chemo
bone marrow transplant - 11/3/06
Severe Host vs Graft Disease of liver
BC mets to lung 11/07
Fasoladex Herceptin Zometa Xeloda
GVHD/Iron overload to liver
Avascular Necrosis/morphine pump 10/10
metastatic brain tumor
steriotactic radiosurgery
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:35 AM   #8
AlaskaAngel

Question puzzling question

I think my problem here is that the poll function allows just very short uncomplicated questions to be asked, with only very simple responses. Some have indicated that they found their own lumps themselves by being able to feel them.

What I want to know is how many people were biopsied without anyone (including themselves) determining that there actually was any lump at all TO biopsy.

I want to know if it makes any sense to all you people who have been diagnosed with breast cancer, if neither the doctor nor the patient has felt any lump or symptom AND the medical provider refuses to provide an ultrasound or MRI to show that there really is any lump at all, and yet advises the patient to have a biopsy just because the patient has calcifications on mammogram. In the case of the person I am concerned about, the calcifications are even not typical for cancer but instead are coarse calcifications (although there are a fair number in the clump). It makes no sense to me at all, but I'm trying to find out from all of you whether this is becoming standard practice for some strange and undetermined reason.

Inflammatory breast cancer would be the exception in that it would be seen as a sign on the skin, and then biopsied to verify it rather than imaging it or finding a lump. But what I am asking is if there is no sign or symptom other than calcifications, is it still standard practice to verify that there is a lump before doing a biopsy, or is it normal for a breast cancer imaging center to biopsy all women who have no sign or symptom and no demonstrated lump just because they have calcifications on their mammogram? This woman has tried to request further imaging from her HMO to verify whether there actually is any lump at all, and they are refusing and basically telling her she should have just the biopsy. Does that make sense to you? It doesn't to me.

Thank all of you for your patience with this question. I think something is not right about this. Not only that, but when she asked about possibly choosing an excisional biopsy, the doctor at the breast cancer center said "that would be pretty extreme, given her mammogram". Either she does need a biopsy or she doesn't; what kind should be entirely up to her. It makes me all the more suspicious when they are not willing to verify that there actually is ANY lump and just want to go straight to stereotactic biopsy.

Please help with further replies and by answering the poll as best you can. She is supposed to be biopsied on this coming Thursday. I just want to know if I am wrong about this or not, and if so, why?

Thank you,

AlaskaAngel
Old 12-09-2008, 01:32 PM   #9
StephN

Hi AA -

Yes, it is not a simple question.

I do have a friend who is a nurse who had suspicious calcifications a few years back. She did not have a family history of BC, but pushed to have a lumpectomy and have the tissue removed.

They did find "atypical cells" which likely would have gone on to form cancer.

She was fairly flat chested and the place of the excision was on the side and not noticeable. She was most relieved not to have to keep going back and and be in the "watchful waiting" mode.

Seems to be a similar situation to the person you are asking for.

P.S. It took THREE biopsies for them to confirm my cancer. My actual tumor was quite small but there were "atypical cells" in the tissue surrounding the tumor since it was no longer in situ. This is why I think she needs to get more than what a needle biopsy can take.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.

Last edited by StephN; 12-09-2008 at 01:35 PM..
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:53 PM   #10
Montana

Yearly mamo found calcifications (dcis) which were then immediately ultrasounded. No lump was felt. Stereotactic biopsy followed later in the week. The IDC was found during lumpy.
Nottingham Grade 7/9
ER 91% PR 62%; Her2 3.6 by ICH; KI-67 35%

Nov 2004 Lumpectomy; SNB failed so had
full axillary clearance;
Dec 2004 2nd lumpy for clean DCIS margins.

Jan/Feb 2005 4 A/C dose dense;
33 rads finished 6/2005;
Began 5 years Arimidex in 6/2005
No Herceptin
9/2007 Quit Arimidex due to severe side effects.
NED
Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:01 PM   #11
lizm100

AA-
I did not have a lump in my breast but the area for me felt different may be a little thickening. In a nut shell my gut said something is not right. I way my gyn in October and she said not to be concerned but I went back to her in January and she validated my concerns and said "a mammogram won't hurt" but to her everything feels fine. I was only 38 at the time. That afternoon I had a digital mammogram which showed intraductal microcalcifcations. I also had an ultrasound which showed nothing. My 20 minute mammogram appointment ended up taking almost 4 hours. The radiologist added many more films and after reviewing all of them, told me that he was pretty confident that I had early stage breast cancer. I saw a breast surgeon in 2 days (thanks to a cancellation or I would have to wait a couple of weeks). Had a mammotone biopsy about 2 weeks later confirming breast cancer. Lumpectomy 2 weeks later and re-excision 2 weeks after that.
lizm100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:34 PM   #12
Becky

If the calcification appear to be the type that look suspicious - clustered and small, not lucid, I wouldn't hesitate on a biopsy. I am the calcification Queen as is my sister - large, perfectly round boulders throughout both breasts. Many of them are what they call lucid - translucent at the top with "settled" calcium on the bottom (this is called a teacup presentation) and both types are always benign - just part of who you are. But the small, not perfectly round and clustered (clustered is key) are the ones to really watch out for.

I would never allow a needle biopsy again and would insist on a lumpectomy type biopsy. I did this for my mom who got a stereotactic biopsy where a wire was inserted so the surgeon could find the area easily.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:58 PM   #13
Henny

I had a mammo which showed a few new calcs that weren't there the year before. I had no palpable mass The radiologist suggested waiting and redoing the mammo in 6 months. I suggested that I call a surgeon since if they weren't there the year before they shouldn't be there now.
I called a well know surgeon and made an appointment. In the meantime a clinic in town got a new breast only PET scanner (PEM) and I had a free scan there (since they were just getting started). It showed a big hot spot where the calcs were. I went to the surgeon with the PEM scan in hand. Turned out to be IBC and also a DCIS.
Imaging may be expensive but I still think it's cheaper than doing invasive procedures. My surgeon said her philosophy is to image twice and cut once
Alaska, If I were your relative I would ask for more imaging to get to the bottom of this. With mammos, Ultrasound, MRI, PEM, and BSGI (breast scinti gamma imaging-like PET but different isotope) there should be no reason to do a biopsy blindly
Henny
A/C, Taxol, Herceptin
Bilateral mastectomies with recon
Zometa 2/yr for 3 yrs- finished 8/2011
Henny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:43 AM   #14
AlaskaAngel

Exclamation Concerns and issues involved

Thank all of you who took the time to respond to the poll and the questions involved with this situation.

When I originally posted the 2 threads about it, I thought that I might simply not be clearly understanding the rationale of the breast cancer center in scheduling my relative for a stereotactic breast biopsy based on the second-hand information that I had, or that maybe there had been some legitimate change in the basis for the sequence of events normally used for biopsies. I don't claim to be an expert about the latest and greatest and to me that meant I needed to see what others might be seeing elsewhere in the world, but I am reasonably knowledgeable.

I remain concerned. The breast care center is where the patient was referred by her HMO. The concern I have is for those like this woman, who at age 48 had never had an abnormal mammo and has no knowledge as to what is standard practice for her situation. She is dependent upon her medical providers, her own slow research at a time of crisis, and her friends and family for guidance.

A mammogram and mammogram report are intended to provide the initial analysis by a professional radiologist for her PCP to help in making further decisions. This mammogram was designated as BI-RADS 4b and that is a recommendation for consideration of biopsy rather than "wait-and-see" if anything else develops in the short future. Normally in my experience the BI-RADS 4 level is not assigned unless the radiologist has either seen and mentioned clear evidence for it in the report or has done additional imaging that brought out additional supporting evidence for a reasonable need for a biopsy. The information given in the mammo report was more at the level of what one would see in a BI-RADS 3 level designation, so I questioned it. The fact that the radiologist had also specified the type of biopsy raised concern for me, as that in itself infers that neither the PCP nor the patient should authorize any other type of biopsy. That, to me, is highly questionable. A patient should always have the full range of options open and explained fully to her, whether she elects to have no biopsy, a fine needle biopsy, a core biopsy, a stereotactic biopsy, or an excisional biopsy. If there is a very specific reason why a stereotactic biopsy is preferred, it should be clearly so indicated on the mammographic report, and there was no such indication on her report.

Some here feel the need for the earliest possible confirmation by biopsy, and may not understand why the step-by-step approach is so important. But what I think is at stake here is the rush to sacrifice logic and patient choice for expediency and/or cost.

I consulted an online specialist, who confirmed both that a biopsy was needed (because that is the only way to definitively determine what the cells are doing), but also said that further preliminary imaging is important" "ultrasound & MRI scans NOT ONLY to find other ways of doing biopsies but ALSO to gain more information of/from the mass" prior to biopsy. Also, additional imaging can provide further information about any other questionable mass that simply hasn't shown up on the mammogram by calcification. Mammograms are usually the first step not because they do such a great job, but because they are inexpensive enough to reach the most patients for screening purposes.

The vast majority of biopsies show no cancer. At this point after considering this issue, I don't believe it is standard practice to biopsy immediately all patients based on mammographic clustering of coarse calcifications and patient history alone. I also believe that the specific recommendation of a stereotactic biopsy without any clear supporting reason for that particular type of biopsy is ethically problematic. I think going along with these practices does not protect the rights of the patients -- OUR rights and those of others.

Again, thank you all for taking your time to consider this issue.

AlaskaAngel

Last edited by AlaskaAngel; 12-12-2008 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: to include all types of biopsies
Old 12-16-2008, 11:29 AM   #15
BonnieR

AA. I will add my experience to the mix. I had a "suspicious area, probably benign, return in 6 months" mammo. I decided to get a second opinion of this reading. Went to a doc who specializes in breast care. She did an ultrasound which confirmed calcifications. Also sent me for an MRI which did not show it. (I am having difficulty remember the sequence. It seems to have happened a long time ago although it was only 2007!) She followed with a sterotactic biopsy which then confirmed cancer. I am grateful for her dilligence. Hope this helps. I find it all very complex!

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:03 PM   #16
Jackie07

I thought I had posted the other day when I participated in the poll. Guess it was a 'false memory'.

I would rather have a doctor who is 'overly' diligent about finding cancer. I have a tiny spot in the underarm lymphnode scar area. Neither my doctor nor my husband can feel it with their fingers. But I can feel it because of the pain when pressed.

My next appointment is not until February (or March?) So I made an appointment with my family doctor in mid January - couldn't book anything earlier. I know I can walk in any time if there is something 'significant'. The
neuropsychologist I saw in July had stated that it is probably normal for me to be so concerned judging my 'very significant medical history'.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:26 PM   #17
Marlys

Maybe you need to take me from the "Yes" as I found the lump when it caught on my bra when I was putting it on.. I had the mammogram 2 days later and the needle biopsy the 3rd day.
Love & hugs,
Marlys
Marlys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:11 AM   #18
SoCalGal

Hi AA - I had a core needle biopsy in the unaffected breast due to calcifications on the mammogram. My understanding is that calcifications often gather near cancer and the "tumor" is not always palpable. With the non-invasiveness of that biopsy I think that better safe than sorry is not a bad thing. On the other hand - I also had a core needle biopsy that removed the calcifications (this was the affected breast) and came back from the lab "benign". I rejoiced only to get a call from the radiologist that they did not think they sampled correctly - even tho the calcifications showed up in the sample scanned. (I was a witness to that part so I saw for myself the 3 dots in me and then the 3 dots in the needle). Long story short (it's too late for that) they recommended a surgical biopsy for a definitive answer and thank god they did because that was my first recurrence in '02. Had they given me a pass and had I not sought treatment - well we all know what the end of the story would be
Hope this helps! Happy Holidays. Flori
‘03 latisimus dorsi flap to remove skin mets. CLEAN MARGINS. Continue single agent Herceptin thru 4/04. NED.
‘04 '05 & 06 tiny recurrences - scar line. surgery to cut out. NED each time.
1/2006 Rads again, to scar line. NED.

3/07 Heartbreaking news - mets! lungs.sternum. Try Tykerb/Xeloda. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar. Switch Oncs.
12/07 Herceptin.Tykerb. Markers go stable.
2/8/08 gamma knife 13mm stupid brain met.
3/08 Herceptin/tykerb/avastin/zometa.
3/09 brain NED. Lungs STABLE.
4/09 attack sternum (10 daysPHOTONS.5 days ELECTRONS)
9/09 MARKERS normal!
3/10 PET/CT=manubrium intensely metabolically active but stable. NEDhead.
Wash out 5/10 for tdm1 but 6/10 CT STABLE, PET improving. Markers normal. Brain NED. Resume just Herceptin plus ZOMETA
Dec 2010 Brain NED, lungs/sternum stable. markers normal.
MAR 2011 stop Herceptin/allergy! Go back on Tykerb and switch to Xgeva.
May-Aug 2011 Tykerb Herceptin Xgeva.
Sept 2011 Tykerb, Herceptin, Zometa, Avastin.
April 2012 sketchy drug trial in NYC. 6 weeks later I’m NED!
OCT 2012 PET/CT shows a bunch of freakin’ progression. Back to LA and Herceptin.avastin.zometa.
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
March 2013 – 5 YEARS POST continue HAPZ
APRIL 2013 - 6 yrs stage 4. "FAILED" PETscan on 4/2/13
May 2013: rePetted - improvement in lungs, left adrenal stable, right 6th rib inactive, (must be PERJETA avastin) sternum and L1 fruckin'worsen. Drop zometa. ADD Xgeva. Doc says get rads consultant for L1 and possible biopsy of L1. I say, no thanks, doc. Lets see what xgeva brings to the table first. It's summer.
June-August 2013HAPX Herceptin Avastin Perjeta xgeva.
Sept - now - on chemo hold for calming tummy we hope. Markers stable for 2 months.
Nov 2013 - Herceptin-Perjeta-Avastin-Xgeva (collageneous colitis, which explains tummy probs, added Entocort)
December '13 BRAIN MRI ned in da head.
Jan 2014: CONTINUING on HAPX…
FEB 2014 PetCT clinical “impression”: 1. newbie nodule - SUV 1.5 right apical nodule, mildly hypermetabolic “suggestive” of worsening neoplastic lesion. 2. moderate worsening of the sternum – SUV 5.6 from 3.8
3. increasing sclerosis & decreasing activity of L1 met “suggests” mild healing. (SUV 9.4 v 12.1 in May ‘13)
4. scattered lung nodules, up to 5mm in size = stable, no increased activity
5. other small scattered sclerotic lesions, one in right iliac and one in thoracic vertebral body similar in appearance to L1 without PET activity and not clearly pathologic
APRIL 2014 - 6 YRS POST GAMMA ZAP, 7 YRS MBC & 18 YEARS FROM ORIGINAL DX!
October 2014: hold avastin, continue HPX
Feb 2015 Cancer you lost. NEDHEAD 7 years post gamma zap miracle, 8 years ST4, +19 yrs original diagnosis.
Continue HPX. Adding back Avastin
Nov 2015 pet/ct is mixed result. L1 SUV is worse. Continue Herceptin/avastin/xgeva. Might revisit Perjeta for L1. Meantime going for rads consult for L1
December 2015 - brain stable. Continue Herceptin, Perjeta, Avastin and xgeva.
Jan 2016: 5 days, 20 grays, Rads to L1 and continue on HAPX. I’m trying to "save" TDM1 for next line. Hope the rads work to quiet L1. Sciatic pain extraordinaire :((
Markers drop post rads.
2/24/16 HAP plus X - markers are down
SCIATIC PAIN DEAL BREAKER.
3/23/16 Laminectomy w/coflex implant L4/5. NO MORE SCIATIC PAIN!!! Healing.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
July 2016 - continue HAP plus Xgeva.
DEC 2016 - PETCT: mets to sternum, lungs, L1 still about the same in size and PET activity. Markers not bad. Not making changes if I don't need to. Herceptin/Perjeta/Avastin/Xgeva
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
December 2017 - Progression - gonna switch it up
FEB 2018 - Kadcyla 3 cycles ---->progression :(
MAY30th - bronchoscopy, w/foundation1 - her2 enriched
Aug 27, 2018 - start clinical trial ZW25
JAN 2019 - ZW25 seems to be keeping me stable
APRIL 2019 - ONE DOZEN YEARS LIVING METASTATIC
MAY 2019 - progression back on herceptin add xeloda
JUNE 2019 - "6 mos average survival" LMD & CNS new single brain met - one zap during 5 days true beam SBRT to cord met
10/30/19 - stable brain and cord. progression lungs and bones. washing out. applying for ds8201a w nivolumab. hope they take me.
12/27/19 - begin ds8401a w nivolumab. after 2nd cycle nodes melt away. after 3rd cycle chest scan shows Improvement, brain MRI shows improvement, resolved areas & nothing new. switch to plain ENHERTU. after 4th cycle, PETscan shows mostly resolved or improved results. Markers near normal. I'm stunned but grateful.
10/26/20 - June 2021 Tucatinib/xeloda/herceptin - stable ish.
SoCalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:20 AM   #19
Kimberly Lewis

all I had were calcifications - when the surgery was finally done - they told me it was stage 0. When they got in however it was stage 3. Big difference and the tumors were not seen on the mamogram. In my case it was very important!

Diagnosed 7/05
Stage 3a er+(45%) pr+(68%) Her2+ (40%)
3.8 cm + .8cm multi focal - pleomorphic lobular tumors
high grade DCIS
7/20 nodes

BRCA 2
positive as of 5/07
surgeries: double mastectomy, hysterectomy (LAVH)
A/C,Herceptin for 1 year completed 11/06
femara

Kimberly Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote