HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Articles of Interest
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-29-2007, 02:42 AM   #1
Christine MH-UK

New York Times Chemo Brain Article

Makes some very interesting points, such it is not necessarily the most impaired patients who complain but rather those who are balancing jobs that require 100% mental performance with family commitments. I resemble that remark.

Wonder if this applies to my 'herceptin brain' phenomenon, too.

I recently read my student evaluations for the semester. So much better than I was on herceptin, although one student said that I was 'nice, but slow' (harumph). Shouldn't concentrate too much on that, since I had more positive comments and in a class of 135 somebody isn't going to be happy, but it still stung a bit.

http://www.nytimes.com:80/2007/04/29...html?th&emc=th
Christine MH-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:34 AM   #2
R.B.

We have seen this reported on this board too.

I would recommend Smart Fats or the successor by M Scmidt. ( You can find it in the web for a few $)

It emphasises the importance of fats and particularly the essential fatty acids to brain function. The book looks at cognitive function as well of a host of other "brain" issues.

More than 60% of the brain in fat. A number of trials in various lipids fields suggest DHA was very particular and unique properties. Other trials suggest that DHA deficiencies will lead to structural impairment of types of brain cells. Most people in the west have a very skewed intake of omega threes and sixes towards the sixes and many a low three intake.

Lack of omega three has been associated with BC risk as well as many other inflammatory conditions.

One of the mechanisms of Herceptin is through the fat pathways. Does herceptin block long the creation of the long chain fats in the body which would include DHA and EPA.?

So many questions, but surely a dietary change with relatively few and limited downsides and so many major possible upsides has to be worthy of consideration.

Please discuss significant dietary change with your advisor. Omega three can cause blood thinning etc.

RB
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote