HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-20-2007, 11:58 AM   #1
StephN

Smile Stage IV - Herceptin break cuz I wanted it

Good morning everyone -

Just wanted to report in after my 3-month Herceptin break that I took "just because." It worked for me! All my scans and lab work from last week were "just great" in the words of my med onc. My team was thrilled with my results, expecially since I am hormone neg/neg.

My onc left it up to me whether to resume at this time or extend my break. Keep in mind that this break was taken after being on Herceptin for FIVE solid years with no new measurable tumor activity apart from the two in my brain in 2003/04.

My life has been turned upside down with my father STILL in the cardiac ICU after almost 8 weeks. His staph infection is improving and they are trying to get him off the ventilator and breathing on his own after the infection moved into his lungs. Because of all this agonizing stress and heartbreak I have asked to resume my Herceptin and will have a loading dose next Wed. My team thinks this is wise under the circumstances, if only for prophylactic reasons.

My Dexa bone density scan showed good results and med onc sees no need to have any Zometa or other bone builder for while. My spine score is 118% of age matched normal values, but my hips and femoral necks are the 90's and 80's precentiles respectively. Need that vitamin D if I can ever get out of the hospital corridors! Thought you would like to know this is a better outcome than the Dexa scan I had just after completing Adriamycin, Taxotere and rads 6 years ago, when I was reading at 79% of age matched normal. Went on Fosamax after that.

I WILL have a colonoscopy done soon as they are now doing them at my cancer center. Had one 5 years ago and this one will be for the reason that people with one cancer are a greater risk for another cancer. Better safe than sorry.

On the subject of BREAST MRI's, and my cancer center was a leader in the research in which I participated, it is still not recommended in general and I will stick to the other new digital imaging they have.

TROVAX vaccine trial at the U of W is getting back on track and should start enrolling in the near future. I will be contacted at that time

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 12:16 PM   #2
Vi Schorpp

Hooray!

Great news Steph for you personally...I've been wondering about your dad, but since I didn't read anything I didn't want to ask. At least things are improving there also. Please take care of you and yours!
Vi Schorpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 02:23 PM   #3
Kim in CA

Dear Steph,

I'm sorry to hear your Dad is still in ICU. Sure hope they can get him off the ventilator soon.

I have been wondering about your Herceptin break, so was very glad to read your post. I have been wanting to take a break myself, but I'm CHICKEN! I have been on Herceptin for over 5 years too with the only recurrence being the brain met in 2005.

We check my tumor markers(CA 15-3) every time I get Herceptin and have run the Her2 Serum test 3 different times now (which has always been in the normal range). Because my markers have always been in the high normal range (at least for the last couple of years) we have been hesitant to take a break.

My range over the last couple years seems to be in the mid to high twenties, with 31.3 of course being the cutoff. We only recently did a full body CT/PET scan because I had been having pain in my shoulder, but that came back clear. That was the first scan I had in over two years because I have been trying to decrease my exposure to radiation and felt that running the tumor markers and Her2 Serum would be better.

So, I just keep on with my Herceptin and am thankful to still be NED, but would love to take a break. I am due for a brain MRI and a MUGA , so will be scheduling them soon. Thanks for the reminder about colonoscopies (never had one of those, Oh Joy!)

Anyway, just glad you were able to take a little break and that it went well. Maybe I'll work up the nerve to try it too!

Love Kim

5/1997 Hi Dose Chemo w/ Stem cell rescue. Spent 4 weeks in isolation ward. Then 6 weeks radiation.

9/2001 widespread mets to liver. 8 mos Taxotere/Herceptin brought me almost to NED. Stop Taxotere & add Femara .

11/2002 liver resection to remove spot that turned out to be necrosis. Officially NED!

7/2003 Tumor markers rising add Xeloda Disastrous reaction, 8 days hospital, but tumor markers came back to normal!

June -Dec 2004 UW Vaccine Trial.

7/2005 MRI single 11mm brain met
8/2005 Gamma Knife.

Brain MRI @3 months NED!

2006-2011 brain/body still NED

8/04/11 Taking Herceptin break, will monitor with tumor markers.

6/20/12 Tumor markers begin to rise. CA15-3 is 31.3 and Her2 Serum is at 17.1 Decide to repeat in one month.

7/23/12 CA15-3 now 49.3
Her2 Serum 26.8

8/6/12 Back on Herceptin
CA15-3 now 76
Her2 Serum now 49

11/7/12 Add weekly Taxotere for 4 cycles

2/2013 Stopped Taxotere added Perjeta. MRI shows approx. 50% reduction liver mets. CA15-3 still elevated @ 55. Will continue on just Herceptin & Perjeta.

November 2014 Continuing on Herceptin, Perjeta, and
Femara indefinitely. Guess I'm NED again, but watching those tumor markers carefully!

Dec. 2015 PET scan reveals mass in perirectal area of abdomen.biopsy confirms. Still Her2+, but no longer ER+. Bye bye Femara

Jan 2016 Begin Kadcyla

March 2016 PET scan shows tumor now barely visible, still NED everywhere else.
2016/2017 continue Kadcyla

November 2017 brain MRI reveals small focus of T2 hyperintensity with possible 4mm enhancing nodule. Short term follow up MRI suggested. Stay tuned...
Kim in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:02 PM   #4
Adriana Mangus

Thumbs up Happy for you Steph

Thanks for letting us know about your break from Herceptin. I think is smart to go back to Herceptin at this point, just in case, we all know that stress is our number 1 enemy under this circumstances. Hope all's well with your father now.

Take care, and as usual, I enjoy your postings.
2003- Recur to rt lung.July 16 ( B-Day!)
Her2+++ Er,Pr, Negative
2003 - Aug04--Navelbine + Herceptin
2004- 2007--
NED - Herceptin, only
2007 Feb-April Xeloda added to hereceptin
2007-May Back on Navelbine+Herceptin
2008-Feb-Mar 15 Ses Rad to Rt. Lung
2008- Oc 17 Add Tykerb to Herceptin
2009- June-- Discont Tykerb
2009 July 7--Current Taxol + Herceptin
2009 Dec--Discontinued treatment due to progression. Looking into cyberknife.
2010-Aug Accepted to TDM1, no SE, except liver count went up.
2010-2011 September got kicked out of the trial, due to a small spot found on lung.
2011- 2012 September thru early 2013 on Herceptin
2013- March Bone density shows small spot on 5th rib.
2013 - April 4th appt with onc. will post after discussing course of treatment.
2013-March-April Cyber knife to brain and radiation to rib. Chest --base line before chemo-CT-Scan stable for lung issue. CA2729 Normal.
2013 April Herceptin- TDMI
2013 Sept Herceptin + Perjeta . CA2729 within normal range. Brain and Pet scans October 31st. will post results.
2013 October Brain MRI- mixed response. Will see Onc/rad on Halloween.
2013 October/November Brain-MRI nothing new. Repeat MRI next year in May.

2013 December Continue Herceptin and Perjeta. Stable at the moment.
2014 February Brain MRI -clear!
2014 January Added Taxotere to Perjeta+Herceptin.
2014 March Stopped chemo-chest ct-scan next.

2014- March Scans shows tumor's larger, CA2729 higher. Discontinue Herceptin.
2014 April Perjeta+ Halaven
2014 April CA2729 went down 60 points after one cycle. Cough does not want to go away.
2014 June Continue on Perjeta + Halaven-- no more cough. Stable
2014 June Back on Herceptin + abraxane
Adriana Mangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:16 PM   #5
tousled1

Steph,

Sorry to hear your father is still in ICU but very happy to hear that you're doing so great after taking a Herceptin break. I think it does the body good to have a little vacation from infusions. Hoping your father will soon be better. I'll keep you both in my prayers.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 12:10 AM   #6
sabpri

My experience going off Herceptin..

First - I am so sorry to see you having to go through those struggles with your dad. It is already hard enough handling our own health issues.

I am glad to see there may be a resurectin of the Trovax vaccine. I have been waiting and waiting and waiting for it.

I also wanted to just give you my two cents regarding a Herceptin break. Now mind you, at this time, I am still waiting on my HER test results. Long story short, I had 2 major tumors at diagnosis, completely and totally different characteristics. One was ER/PR+, Her2-, The Other was this weird crazy unexplainable (which is always me) tumor that was triple negative, but had a small subpopulation of less than 10% of the total tumor that contained a very strong Her2+ expression. My Onc saw it as a triple negative tumor with a weird wacky possibly Her2 minor componant, so she put me on Herceptin for the standard protocal for one year. I went off Herceptin in October 06, and in January 07 my Tumor markers went up slightly above where they were hovering for the past year after completing treatment. To me it was a Red Flag, but everyone told me I was paranoid and it was a normal fluctuation of 6 points (from 15 - 21) and not to worry. At my next Apointment 4/4, my Tumor Marker was up to 32 and I freaked, even though it ws still below the cut off at 38 for CA27.29. My Onc said we would draw blood again and schedule a PET, but reminded me that I was being overly anxious about a normal flucation and I would call her telling her I told her so. I told her I had HOPED she was right and not me. Long story short, my Pet showed innumerable bone mets and one spot on my Plural lining. Luckily the bone mets showed lots of uptake in activity on the scan, but not any lesions or breaks in my bones yet. Everyone was shocked but me. Now I am waiting on the Pathology. I got back the hormone receptor status one and it was negative, so we know it is going to come down to the almighty truth of Triple Neg or HER2+. I am really praying for her to be wrong and it is Her2+. I did so well staying in remission for over a year, and find it questionable that after being pulled off it in October, my numbers did a blip 4 months later, then 6 months later it may be back. Just wanted to make sure you heard my side as you are conteplating your decision, and if you do decide to go off, make sure you are being heavily monitored.
Love,
Natalie
38 year old Mom to 3 year old twins and 5 year old daugther
sabpri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 08:03 AM   #7
Margerie

Steph,

Good to hear from you. As always, you and your dad are not far from my thoughts. I hope you can both celebrate at least a small victory soon.

I am glad your herceptin break has been a success. I have heard about people having "maintenance" herceptin, and I believe the dose is once every 3 months. That wouldn't be too bad.

Good luck with the TroVax! I hope this study gets underway soon. I completed my DNA plasmid series and feel better that I have another tool in my tool belt.

Dx 10/05 IDC, multi-focal, triple +, 5 nodes+
MRM, 4 DD A/C, 12 weekly taxol + herceptin
rads concurrent with taxol/herceptin
finished herceptin 01/08
ooph, Arimidex, bilateral DIEP reconstruction
NED
Univ. of WA, Seattle vaccine trial '07
Margerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 08:08 AM   #8
Lolly

Dear Steph, I am as always awed by your courage, and you continue to inspire me and all of us. Your dad and you are in my thoughts and prayers as he continues to recover and you resume Herceptin...sending you hugs,
<3 Lolly
Sept.'99 - Dx.Stage IIIB, IDC ER/PR-, HER2+++ by IHC, confirmed '04 by FISH. Left MRM, AC x's 4, Taxol x's 4, 33 Rads, finishing Tx May 2000. Jan.'01 - local/regional recurrence, Stage IV. Herceptin/Navelbine weekly till NED August 2001, then maintenance Herceptin. Right Mast. April 2002. Local/Regional recurrence April '04, Herceptin plus/minus chemo until May '07. Gemzar added from Feb.'07-April '07; Tykerb/Abraxane until August '07, back on Herceptin plus Taxotere and Xeloda Sept. '07. Stopped T/X Nov. '07, stopped Herceptin Dec. '07, started Avastin/Taxol/Carboplatin Dec. '07. Progression in chest skin, stopped TAC March '03, started radiation.

Herceptin has served as the "Backbone" of my treatment strategy for over 6 years, giving me great quality of life. In 2005, I was privileged to participate in the University of Washington/Seattle HER2 Vaccine Trial.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:23 AM   #9
Cathya

Steph;

I am glad you are doing so well and can certainly understand wanting to take a break from the herceptin. I would suggest that you consider having the Serum Her2 test done every couple of months just to monitor things.

Cathy

Diagnosed Oct. 2004 3 cm ductal, lumpectomy Nov. 2004
Diagnosed Jan. 2005 tumor in supraclavicular node
Stage 3c, Grade 3, ER/PR+, Her2++
4 AC, 4 Taxol, Radiation, Arimidex, Actonel
Herceptin for 9 months until Muga dropped and heart enlarged
Restarting herceptin weekly after 4 months off
Stopped herceptin after four weekly treatments....score dropped to 41
Finished 6 years Arimidex
May 2015 diagnosed with ovarian cancer
Stage 1C
started 6 treatments of carboplatin/taxol
Genetic testing show BRCA1 VUS
Nice! My hair came back really curly. Hope it lasts lol. Well it didn't but I liked it so I'm now a perm lady
29 March 2018 Lung biopsy following chest CT showing tumours in pleura of left lung, waiting for results to the question bc or ovarian
April 20, 2018 BC mets confirmed, ER/PR+ now Her2-
Questions about the possibility of ovarian spread and mets to bones so will be tested and monitored for these.
To begin new drug Palbociclib (Ibrance) along with Letrozole May, 2018.
Genetic testing of ovarian tumour and this new lung met will take months.
To see geneticist to be retested for BRCA this week....still BRCA VUS
CA125 has declined from 359 to 12 as of Aug.23/18

Cathya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 12:39 PM   #10
anne2

Finally some good news.

Hi StephN,
I am happy to hear your news and am keeping my fingers (and toes) crossed for you.
Best of health,
Anne
anne2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 12:56 PM   #11
StephN

Thumbs up Markers, etc.

To answer some of your questions and concerns. First of all, Dad turned a small corner yesterday so we are more hopeful.

In my case markers have always been a good indicator of my disease path. They draw both the CA27-29 and CEA each 3 weeks and they have been well into normal range and steady as a rock for years now.
The 27-29 may move a point one way, but then is back the next time. CEA is unchanging and very low.

The HER2 serum has been run on me twice and with good result. I will have it again in a month or so. We did it just prior to my break along with a PET/CT. Based on literally YEARS of data on me, my decision was made with med onc's blessing.

I noticed in another post that Dr. Slamon is now saying that a 6-7 years remission or complete response on Herceptin may be considered a CURE! Manna from heaven - those words! This is the idea/direction that I and my med onc are perhaps toying with at this point.
Go for it Ginger Empy and Christine who are past that time frame! And Kim and a few others of us stage IV long remission types getting there.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 08:08 PM   #12
mamacze

Whoo-Hoo warrior girl!

Dear Steph,
I logged on tonight, hoping to get an update on just how you are doing and, oh my; what a run you have had with your dad! This is a hard time for you; the emotional turmoil and questions of what to do are so difficult. And then to read, 5 years on Herceptin...you are an incredible warrior to be brave enough to voluntarily take a 3 month break...how relieved I am to read that you are still in the "well-zone". I am kicking up my heels for you! I am so heartened as well, to hear your comments on Dr. Slamons latest musings; I hope and pray he is right, for all of us.
It sounds like, all things considered, then that you are ok.
I too, am ok. Still, at this point, NED. Struggling, with salmon, flax and daily exercise to keep my MUGA within acceptable limits. Other than this pesky Stage 4 diagnosis, I am healthier than I have ever been!
So God-speed my dear soul sister; stay calm and well in the storm of your dads ups and downs... and lets stay tuned to D. Slamon's good words!
Love Kim from CT
ps In the not too distant past, I had stints as a nurse and nsg home administrator...if I can offer any help with your dad, feel free to email me.
mamacze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:18 AM   #13
Joy

Steph

Thank you so much for the updates and very helpful informaiton. I will remain hopeful for your father as he turns a corner and pulls out of all he's been through (all that all of you have been through). I'm so happy the you are so rock solid and got a break and can make great decisions with good people! How great would that be if you could hear the other "C" word, huh? Thinkijng of you and your family and Cures!

dx stage I 2/2000*er/pr+; her- per IHC*lumpectomy*4 rounds A/C*30 rads*tamoxifen*dx stage 4 5/2002*huge mets to liver*tiny mets to lungs*stopped tamoxifen*5/02 taxotere/xeloda*her 2 checked with FiSH-her2+++herceptin *2/03 stopped chemo femara w/herceptin*zolodex*04 switched to aromasin w/herceptin*05 high estrogen tx*11/05taxol/carbo*7/06 stopped chemo; megace/herceptin*9/06navelbine/herceptin*5/07tykerb/xeloda great response*4/08 progression in liver; ooph/ faslodex /herceptin
6/08 began Herceptin DM-1
9/08 progression
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote