HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-13-2007, 07:33 PM   #1
HavahJ

death

Does everyone with metastatic breast cancer eventually die from it? earlier or later? Did you ever hear of anyone with it who actually got rid of it? Feeling pretty blue. On top[ of that almost noone ever responds to my questions. I'm presently having a big M.S. attack because a cancer doc gave me the wrong kind of head radiation. This is my second different breast cancer which is metastisized into an inoperable skull tumor. I'm alone and having a really bad time. Bye
HavahJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 09:02 PM   #2
sabpri

Smile

I think I have read that there are cases of people with mets that have gone in to remission for more than 15 years, and there is a % (not sure what it is) that it never comes back. I am so sorry that you are feeling blue, and that no one seems to respond to your posts.

Wanted to send a Big CYBER Hug to you and let you know that you are not alone. They said I had Bone Mets, so I understand the whole mets nightmare. I am going to say that I will be one of those people who get rid of mets forever, because I beleive you should always err on the side of hope. Let's hope both of us will be in those good stats!

Sending Love and Hugs your way!

Natalie
sabpri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 09:10 PM   #3
AlaskaAngel

Hard Times

HavahJ, I'm probably not the best one to answer that question, but there are more and more people with bc, a fair number of them here too, who are passing the best "estimates" they have been given. Being alone can be hard when you are trying to handle bc, but I'm glad you do come here.

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 09:13 PM   #4
Bev

Steph has done brain mets. Gina, Lolly, Tricia and many others are stage 4 and hanging in there. So sorry for any downturns. Please keep fighting for all of us. Bev
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 09:27 PM   #5
MGordon

Never again

HavahJ -

I commit to you right now that never again will you not recieve a response to a post. I may not be the wealth of information that members like Al from Canada are, but I will be here for you!

Take heart - Brain Mets are not a death sentence! Look no further than Christine Druther! Advances in medicine are furthering the battle every day! Drugs like Herceptin and Tykerb and treatments like CyberKnife and GammaKnife were not even available just a few years ago - and they are kicking cancer butt as I type!

But I also have to say that the medical profession is not your primary weapon! Faith, Hope and Love - and the greatest of these is Love!

I will pray for you tonight and until we "chat" again!

Love and Light
Old 01-13-2007, 09:49 PM   #6
Catherine

Cyber hugs to you. Thank goodness for the computer and the telephone. I am sorry that you are having an alone time and a blue time. I am glad that you reached out to us. I do not post all that much, as I do not feel like I have enough knowledge to share. But we lurkers and small posters care about you.

Please brew a cup of tea or pour a small glass of wine and toast us and toast yourself. And Sunday morning call a good friend and continue to reach out.

All the best, Catherine

Found my own lump in the shower
April 2006 at the age of 58
Stage IIB, ER- PR- HER2+++ multi focal tumors, largest 2.3cm
Chemo first: AC/Taxol over 16 weeks
Bilateral mastectomy Sep 06
33 rads after the surgery
1 year of Herceptin completed Dec 07
15 years and no recurrence as of April 2021
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 11:10 PM   #7
lexigirl

HavahJ,

I don't have an answer for your question but wanted to send you a big hug. You are not alone. We are all in this boat together. United we stand bc sister!

Hugs and Prayers,
Lexi
lexigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 03:54 AM   #8
tricia keegan

Red face You're never alone here

Havah I'm sorry you feel so alone right now.

I don't have the info you asked for as I'm not as clued in as some of the other memebers here but just wanted to tell you we do care and I truely hope you're feeling better soon.
Please keep fighting,sometimes we need to go right down so we can come back up stronger and more determined.
Hugs
Tricia
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 05:33 AM   #9
sarah

Dear Havh,
So sorry you feel so alone and depressed. Where do you live? I am far from knowledgeable about cancer or HER2 but I am so sorry for not at least not acknowledging your posts. It seems to me that a lot of people on this site with stage IV and with IBC have survived a miraculous amount of time.
There's a quote that goes something like this "It's not the years that count but making the years count"
We are NOT our disease. ask your doctor about anti-depressants and get on an exercise regime at a gym - that way you'll interact with other people and boast your - oh chemo brain ! - those positive feelings.
My father was a doctor and in my teens - typically of teens I wondered why I was here and what help could I do for the world and therefore felt useless and was 'depressed." well my dad took me on his rounds which included people with a muscular distropy that made their arms and legs blow up like a balloon and they had trouble talking and it was hard to understand them. well they were so postive - one had written a book and been rejected and so was rewriting it - he was writing it with a pencil attached to his forehead that he taped out the letters. well their spirit of optimism, given the overwhelming difficulties they had, made me feel if they could do it, so could I.
Therefore let me give you a big cyber hug and a push to get out there and help someone who has worse problems and less advantages than you have - helping others is one of the best ways of feeling better. Believe me, I know that one.
You have ltos of friends on this site who are there to help you through this difficult time. you are not alone. I'll look for your future postings and try to respond.
love and hugs
sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:16 AM   #10
Sheila

Havahj
You are never alone with all of us here...we are all in this together, cheering each other on with each new advancement and report, and lending a hug to each bit of bad news...this disease is a roller coaster, I have been riding it for almost 5 years, 3 1/2 as stage 4....I never liked roller coasters, but once I climbed aboard this one (not by my wish), I vowed to myself to keep riding and not get off....it is the only thing I have control over...will I come to a time when I've had enough???? I hope not, but that is not in my hands. I have faith that this is part of a bigger plan for me, and accept it as such....if I am able to help one other person by having this myself, then my mission has served a purpose.
We are all with you, because we are all in the same boat. Sending you a big hug and lots of caring love.

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:18 AM   #11
Mary Anne in TX

Hi Havah!

Sometimes this cancer thing is really the pits! I spent a lot of the first year in fear that it would spread, that I would die, that no one cared, all kinds of stuff! I have just decided to believe in out running this thing by thinking positively, having faith in God and my great doctors, and just living each day as it comes.

I have this silly thing called "dolphin moments". One morning when I was particularly down and depressed, I looked out the bedroom window (we live on a canal) to see a dolphin swimming back and forth. I got so excited! I raced downstairs to get a better look. My depression was gone. One of God's little critters had stolen my heart! It was the first time I saw a dolphin in the canal. Since then it has happened a couple of more times. (They usually stay out in the bay) The next time there were 5 dolphins and they stayed right behind my little condo fishing for about 5 minutes. I was in heaven.

After that first incredible time with the dolphin, I noticed that God was providing "dolphin moments" each day. Sometimes it was a call from a friend with some good news or just a warm hello. Sometimes it was a few minutes on the phone with one of my grandchildren. Sometimes it was a sweet song on the radio or a movie on TV that touched my heart. I began to pay closer attention to those "dolphin moments" each day. Kinda - "stop and smell the roses" I guess! It has really worked for me.

May today be a dolphin day for you. May God bless you with some of his amazing creatures or creations that can lift you out of the blues. Lots of love and hugs to you, ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:23 AM   #12
kimber

I have no answers. BUT, I do have lots of love and prayers that I am sending to you!!!

- kim
kimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:52 AM   #13
rinaina

HavahJ, like all others here, I lend my support to you. Please try to replace your depression with positive thoughts and feelings. I know for a fact that a positive attitude and belief can make such a difference in a person's health while depression and stress deteriorate a person's health. I know it is difficult and we all have our down moments, this is normal, but as someone else said, we have to pick ourselves right back up and focus on beating this disease. For me, it is mind over matter, I refuse to believe that this cancer is going to win out over me. I am too much of a fighter. And let's not forget all the great drugs and new findings now and in our not so distant future. Please don't give up hope. I am sorry you had problems with no responses here in the past....I don't think that will happen again. Everyone here is so supportive. I hope all the responses you received will help strengthen you and your outlook.
AC 4 dense doses
34 radiation treatments including booster doses
receiving herceptin every 3 weeks since late August 2006 for 12 months
rinaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:34 AM   #14
Andi

HavaJ, I am sorry you are feeling blue. We have all been there at one time or another. I just recently had a recurrence, so have been reading up a bit on things. In Dr Susan Love's book, she says that recent studies suggest that in certain situations where the recurrence is limited and the woman can be rendered disease free with multidisciplinary treatments, 3-30 percent of women with metastatic breast cancer can be put into remission for over 20 years. Well, I'm hoping and praying that you and I will both be one of those 3 - 30 percent. I know it's difficult when life throws us a curve like this, but try to think positive thoughts and make every day special in some small way. You will be in my prayers.
Diagnosed 6/30/05
Lumpectomy 7/13/05
Dose Dense A/C x 4
Weekly Taxol + Herceptin x 12
Remainder of year Herceptin Every 3 weeks (completes 9/13/06)
Radiation completed 2/28/06
Currently on Tamoxifen
Dec 06 - Pleural effusion treated with pleurodesis
Now er/pr-, her2++
1/07 started weekly Navelbine plus Herceptin
Discontinued Tamoxifen
4/27/07 CTshowed progression
5/01/07 Began Tykerb/Xeloda + Zometa
5/22/07 Stopped treatment due to great progression
Andi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 11:15 AM   #15
Sherryg683

I am so sorry you are feeling so alone. I can relate. I am surrounded by my husband and 2 lovely children and still I feel totally alone. I sometimes just don't want to come out of the covers. Then I have my good days when I feel fresh and ready to fight. I have to believe that not everyone dies from this disease, it does take from us so much anyway. We just have to get up and put one foot in front of the other, take a deep breath and live. Just wanted to let you know I am thinking of you and praying you feel better..sherryg683

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 12:41 PM   #16
suzan w

a quick message of "Hi" to you! I know sometimes it does feel like we are completely alone with this...even when surrounded by friends and family! Glad that you reached out because it does show that we are never really "alone"...we have each other!!!
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 12:45 PM   #17
Adriana Mangus

Cool Stay positive!!

Gordon and Sheila: What a wonderful response you two posted to HavaJ.

HavaJ: We all have been fighting, do not think too much whether you are going to live or die.. It does not matter, you need to live your life to the fullest....NOW!!! You need to concentrate and all those good things around you, whether is friends, family, children, parents, etc.

Read Stephn story, she's from the Washington area, and she's such a nice lady, positive and for someone who's been through a lot!! you would never expect this type of attitude, desire to get better and stamina to continue living.

Do not give up, and please stay in touch I have never seeing you on the board, or I would have responded to you long time ago...I'M SENDING YOU A BIG BEAR HUG.
2003- Recur to rt lung.July 16 ( B-Day!)
Her2+++ Er,Pr, Negative
2003 - Aug04--Navelbine + Herceptin
2004- 2007--
NED - Herceptin, only
2007 Feb-April Xeloda added to hereceptin
2007-May Back on Navelbine+Herceptin
2008-Feb-Mar 15 Ses Rad to Rt. Lung
2008- Oc 17 Add Tykerb to Herceptin
2009- June-- Discont Tykerb
2009 July 7--Current Taxol + Herceptin
2009 Dec--Discontinued treatment due to progression. Looking into cyberknife.
2010-Aug Accepted to TDM1, no SE, except liver count went up.
2010-2011 September got kicked out of the trial, due to a small spot found on lung.
2011- 2012 September thru early 2013 on Herceptin
2013- March Bone density shows small spot on 5th rib.
2013 - April 4th appt with onc. will post after discussing course of treatment.
2013-March-April Cyber knife to brain and radiation to rib. Chest --base line before chemo-CT-Scan stable for lung issue. CA2729 Normal.
2013 April Herceptin- TDMI
2013 Sept Herceptin + Perjeta . CA2729 within normal range. Brain and Pet scans October 31st. will post results.
2013 October Brain MRI- mixed response. Will see Onc/rad on Halloween.
2013 October/November Brain-MRI nothing new. Repeat MRI next year in May.

2013 December Continue Herceptin and Perjeta. Stable at the moment.
2014 February Brain MRI -clear!
2014 January Added Taxotere to Perjeta+Herceptin.
2014 March Stopped chemo-chest ct-scan next.

2014- March Scans shows tumor's larger, CA2729 higher. Discontinue Herceptin.
2014 April Perjeta+ Halaven
2014 April CA2729 went down 60 points after one cycle. Cough does not want to go away.
2014 June Continue on Perjeta + Halaven-- no more cough. Stable
2014 June Back on Herceptin + abraxane
Adriana Mangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 01:37 PM   #18
Sandy H

Havah, as others have said, I am sorry no one responded to your post. I don't remember your post but I doubt if it will ever happen again. I don't have brain, organ or bone mets however, I have been battling skin mets to the chest wall for 5 years now. They are mets on the skin of the chest. I started out with Inflammatory breast cancer, ER/PR neg. but Her2 pos. stage 111b. I was given NO survivoral time 6 years ago!! Well, I am still here with only skin mets which are stable with Tykerb/Xeloda. The only positive thing I had going for me I was Her2 which allowed me to use Herceptin. Don't get discouraged with the stats as I did at first. There are new drugs coming out and treatment options are improving. I can suggest you need to know your body and let your doctor know when something doesn't seem right. Do your research for yourself and be in control like Sheila said. You will get some good help here so keep in touch. Sending you another cyber hug. Sandy
5 rads-skin mets
Herceptin, taxol, carboplatin (taxol seem to be the magic drug)
Navelbine & xeloda (did not work)
topical miltex for skin mets
Tykerb/xeloda
thoracentesis x 2 left lung fluid shows cancer cells
Port removal (4 years) with power port replacement
Doxil
Updated 05-07 Scans show no bone or organ involvement we shall see!

I shall not pass this way again. Any good I can do or any kindness that I can show let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again.
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 02:01 PM   #19
mslinda

Big hug to you

Dear Havah:

I don't usually post much, but try to come to this site every day. I am sending you hugs, and I promise to pray for you often. You just keep up your spirits and tell this cancer you are going to beat it.

Linda
IDC, ER-PR-, HER2Neu+++
7mm tumor, Stage 1, Grade 3
6 CAF's
38 Rads
Finished 10/05

"Worry looks around. Sorry looks back. Faith looks up."
mslinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 02:23 PM   #20
Kim in CA

Dearest Havah,

I'm sure sorry you have felt so down lately. I haven't been posting much these days, and always feel badly to find out someone has been feeling so alone. Please know that you are not alone and we really do care about all of our Her2 family. I have metastatic BC and I'm still here, ten years next month!

Sending you a cyber Hug from California, Kim

5/1997 Hi Dose Chemo w/ Stem cell rescue. Spent 4 weeks in isolation ward. Then 6 weeks radiation.

9/2001 widespread mets to liver. 8 mos Taxotere/Herceptin brought me almost to NED. Stop Taxotere & add Femara .

11/2002 liver resection to remove spot that turned out to be necrosis. Officially NED!

7/2003 Tumor markers rising add Xeloda Disastrous reaction, 8 days hospital, but tumor markers came back to normal!

June -Dec 2004 UW Vaccine Trial.

7/2005 MRI single 11mm brain met
8/2005 Gamma Knife.

Brain MRI @3 months NED!

2006-2011 brain/body still NED

8/04/11 Taking Herceptin break, will monitor with tumor markers.

6/20/12 Tumor markers begin to rise. CA15-3 is 31.3 and Her2 Serum is at 17.1 Decide to repeat in one month.

7/23/12 CA15-3 now 49.3
Her2 Serum 26.8

8/6/12 Back on Herceptin
CA15-3 now 76
Her2 Serum now 49

11/7/12 Add weekly Taxotere for 4 cycles

2/2013 Stopped Taxotere added Perjeta. MRI shows approx. 50% reduction liver mets. CA15-3 still elevated @ 55. Will continue on just Herceptin & Perjeta.

November 2014 Continuing on Herceptin, Perjeta, and
Femara indefinitely. Guess I'm NED again, but watching those tumor markers carefully!

Dec. 2015 PET scan reveals mass in perirectal area of abdomen.biopsy confirms. Still Her2+, but no longer ER+. Bye bye Femara

Jan 2016 Begin Kadcyla

March 2016 PET scan shows tumor now barely visible, still NED everywhere else.
2016/2017 continue Kadcyla

November 2017 brain MRI reveals small focus of T2 hyperintensity with possible 4mm enhancing nodule. Short term follow up MRI suggested. Stay tuned...
Kim in CA is offline   Reply With Quote