HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-17-2006, 11:04 PM   #1
Sherryg683

year anniversary..feeling scared

My year anniversary with cancer is coming up and I feel pretty scared. I can't help but thinking that one year down, is one year closer to the average expected survival for stage IV cancer. Which as we all is not good. I am feeling fine, and still in remission, although I get scanned again at the end of the month. I just feel so depressed waiting for that other shoe to drop. I have got to live at least another 10 years is what I tell myself. I've got to see my little girl turn 18 (at least). I know I am asking for a lot but I just can't leave her without a mom. Not really a question here, just feeling insecure...sherryg683
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 05:50 AM   #2
dawn

Hi Sherry,

I know how you feel. I've got my five year old son and two year old daughter that I wait to see to 18. It gets so scary sometimes. I notice every little thing they do and sometimes I think Im going to drive myself crazy holding on to everything. I just had a major meltdown last night, my husband did his best, but its hard for anyone to come to your rescue when they don't know what is going on in your head. My one year anniversary is coming up in March and I wonder too, how many more I've got. But then I tell myself, why should I be any different from anyone else with BC. On the other hand my oncs are very optimistic with my treatment and are looking at long term. But why not ask for a lot. We've all had to take a lot since or DX so what is wrong with a little in return. I don't think it's a lot when you're asking to raise your children to adulthood. I know Im looking forward and going to fight for it. Here's hoping they'll get a cure!!!!
Dawn

Mar 2006Stage IIIA, Her2/Neu 3+++, Er & Pr positive, 8 of 18 pos 03/14/06: Mastectomy 04/19/06 started Chemo adriamycin, chlophosphamide, taxotere 25 rads
Nov 1, 06: 3 years Tamoxifen, Herceptin (1yr)
Jan 2009 Femara mets to bone aromasin and aredia
June2009: Full Histerectomy
2/22/2010 6 spots in liver 2 mm-10 mm: switched to xeloda and Herceptin will continue with Aredia J
Scan February 2011 new onc, switch to abraxane
April 2011 NED clear organs, 3 spots on bone scar tissue.
Scans August 2mm spot on liver and lungs. now on to tykerb/xeloda
Dec 2011 scans nothing on lungs, liver down to 1 2 mm spot. j
une 2012 another spot on liver on to cisplatin/gemzar.

dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 07:11 AM   #3
Joe
Webmaster

The subjecy of our first teleconference will be about dealing with the stress of cancer for both patients and caregivers:

www.her2support.org/tc.htm

Regards
Joe

Illegitimi non carborundum

My Album
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 11:12 AM   #4
MJo

The one year anniversary of my diagnosis was November 1. I am feeling vulnerable too. I worry about all the what ifs....what if I do have some stray cells growing. What if they are in my brain. What if I'm one of the patients who doesn't respond to Herceptin. At the same time I am down on myself for worrying. I think I should be grateful, thrilled with life, aware of every wonderful thing, etc. After all, I've been given a second chance.

Maybe this is a stage we pass through. Is this post traumatic stress?
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 02:56 PM   #5
StephN

Talking Brought up short by BC

Dear Sherry and ladies,
Your fears are quite normal and I was having just this discussion with one of the chaplains at my cancer center. (SHE went through breast cancer treatment in 2005/06 herself!)

The substance of that discussion is that I am pushing 60 and have had quite a rich and active life, but still want to fight this disease in every way I can. She is younger and relates more to what you all are saying about having young families, etc.

The stress is incredible and people with our diagnosis have it even harder than the more common forms of BC.

My chaplain is just getting to where she has the energy to do things like run and mountain bike again. She took a bad tumble mountain biking several weeks ago and the x-ray showed a couple of fractured ribs. Her pain was worse and she was complaining, thinking maybe she had some disease progression. A bone scan was finally ordered which showed NOT 2 ribs, but SIX ribs with TWO fractures each. Thus a bone scan is much more sensitive, and she was vindicated for her complaining.

All this was quite frightening, not to mention the discomfort. We also talked about the parallel with mental pain, that exists for us. The physical pain can be a distraction, but ups the fear level. Then there is the unknown...

I found that with time you just keep going and trying to enjoy life at every opportunity. But, you HAVE to cut yourself some slack from time to time to deal with the mental aspect. So, go ahead and come face to face with that fear, then put it back in its pigeon hole and go on to something that makes you feel good. Like decorate a little for Thanksgiving and look for some fun new recipes.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 03:56 PM   #6
rinaina

Of course these worries are normal and there isn't a one of us that doesn't have a reason to want to live until the next momentous time in our childrens lives but especially while they are still so young and being raised by you. Mine are 24 and 28 but single and I have done my raising but I want to be around to see them get married and to have grandchildren. There is always something to want to be around for.
AC 4 dense doses
34 radiation treatments including booster doses
receiving herceptin every 3 weeks since late August 2006 for 12 months
rinaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 09:06 PM   #7
sabpri

Sherry, I am sooo with you!

I feel the same way! While my family and friends feel like every month that passes I am that much closer to remission, I unfortunately feel like it is getting closer to the countdown of my end! I was diagnosed with Bone Mets at diagnosis August 2005. My twins just turned 2 and my daugther almost 4. I HAVE to live at least another 15 years, which would be pretty miraculous for a Stage 4 person. I know I have read 1-2 years mets come back, and now I feel like at 15 months out I am smack dab in the middle of the Cancer Zone! AAGGHH!

Everyone keeps telling me how great I look now, how happy they are that I am done with cancer, etc. etc. I just smile and say yes, but it makes me feel so alone inside because I am just as emotionally tormented as I was when I was going through chemo. No one wants to hear all my misery and emotional pain and fears of cancer coming back and every ache and pain I freak out over!! I found a good therapist that has helped me to deal with it and is has helped.

It is nice to know that I am not alone.

Here is to us, living a very long and healthy lives, to see our grandchildren!

Natalie
sabpri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 05:52 AM   #8
Sheila

I am sure it must be harder on women with young children...the fear is overwhelming. As a nurse, I have seen a positive outlook on illness make a huge difference in healing....so although we have these fears, we must also have faith for the future....like Steph, some of us who were older when diagnosed, have the same fears....although my children are raised, 31 year old twin girls and a 29 yr old son, and 5 grandchildren and 1 on the way....I have many reasons to look to the future, take each day as it comes and live life to the fullest....I don't want regrets, this dreaded disease may have invaded my body, but I refuse to let it take my spirit too!

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 06:12 AM   #9
VirginiaGirl

Me too!

I had convinced myself that I was DONE with cancer after finishing treatment the first time, and less than a year later I am diagnosed w/ mets. It just wasn't supposed to happen. I, too, chant in my head "10 more years" until my daughter is 18, at least. At times I'm convinced my positive attitude will make it happen, other times I'm afraid I'm deceiving myself again and not being realistic. But we have to be positive and brave around our children. I know my daughter is scared, too, and given her young age, I don't want to freak her out more than she already is! I, too, feel that the fear about what any physical pains mean is worse than the pain itself (so far anyway), and that now is as good as it's going to get coz it's all down hill from here, and just that much closer to disability and/or death. Ultimately, I don't like to think that way, and just push it out of my mind and try to focus on how lucky I am, on all the blessings in my life, and really there are so very many!

Peace
alternative chemo 5/05-7/05, rad 8/05-10/05
7/06 dx mets to vertebrae, pelvis & chest lymph nodes
8/06 - 10/06 tamoxifen, herceptin, oophorectomy & zometa
11/06 PET/CT showed continued bone mets, new spot on liver
12/06 began taxotere/herceptin 1x/3 weeks,
2/07 - 2-08 NED!
3/08 progression, start taxol/herceptin weekly, monthly zometa
8/08 start ai & herceptin
12/08 - progression, start weekly navelbine/herceptin thru 6/09 & monthly zometa
7/09 - PET/CT showed improvement in spine, but 2-3 lymph nodes in chest became active
9/09 - 11/09 - weekly abraxane/herceptin
12/09 - PET/CT - chest lymph nodes resolved, progression in spine & pelvis
2/10 - 6/10 - start tykerb/xeloda, progession in spine & pelvis
7/10 - start taxotere/carboplatin/herceptin

VirginiaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 10:59 AM   #10
CLTann

I have long concluded that it is the natural human instinct to survive and strive for a long life. In fact, this is the universal principle for all living matters, even including the naughty cancer cells. I am near retiring age and look for enjoyable life with my husband. We have children and grandchildren. Still, we do not give up any opportunity to be happy. The BC is a much milder form of cancer than other types. We all have hope to live a long life. The mental fear is very natural for all of us since our enemy is like those terrorists. We don't know when and where they will strike. Stay alert, vigilant and keep up with the new knowledge. With a little bit of luck, we shall conquor the unknown and live a meaningful life.

Stage 1 dx Sept 05
ER/PR positive HER2 +++ Grade 3
Invasive carcinoma 1 cm, no node involvement
Mastec Sept 05
Annual scans all negative, Oct 06
Postmenopause. Arimidex only since Sept 06, bone or muscle ache after 3 month
Off Arimidex, change to Femara 1/12-07, ache stopped
Sept 07 all tests negative, pass 2 year mark
Feb 08 continue doing well.
Sep 09 four year NED still on Femara.
CLTann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 11:38 AM   #11
lexigirl

Hi Sherri,

Sending you a huge hug. I definitely know how you are feeling. My one year passed and I felt anxious. I'm dealing with some sort of pain in my upper back that has me worried. My husband is telling me to get it checked out and doesn't understand why I'm not racing to the phone to have an appt for a scan made. Denial is sometimes easier to deal. I have two kids, ages 14 and 10. I told myself if I could just make it to when my daughter grads. from HS. Of course if I do make it I will want more! ANd there is absolutely nothing wrong with asking our heavenly Father for more. He expects us to! Don't feel selfish. I did at first, but I know that God wants me to have the desires of my heart, too! I believe that you are going to be here for many years to come.

Hugs and Prayers,
Lexi
lexigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 11:51 AM   #12
Jeanette

Talking feeling scared

I have just finished my Herceptin and now only on Arimidex, I also worry at times. i have six children and fifteen Grands and I want to be able to dance at there weddings. I will not give up, though there are time when i think we have all felt that way. with the good Lords help we will survive to live a long life. bless all of you, Jeanette
Jeanette is offline   Reply With Quote