HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-27-2006, 04:10 PM   #1
ElaineRyan

New to site-35yrs old-Question regarding ovarian suppression

Hi to everyone,

This is my first post although I read all the time. I was diagnosed in July 05 at age 34. I am Her2neu+, Estrogen +, Progesterone -. I am question mark stage IV (in my mind). Initially their was a spot on my liver but it responded to treatment before they could biopsy but with that being said ,they are assuming it was cancer.

I had chemo before surgery because they knew it was in my nodes from a needle aspiration. Responded great to chemo/herceptin. After 4 months of chemo. I had surgery, tumor was the size of a pea....initially it was I believe 5 cc. Nodes were negative.

I did 7 weeks of radiation. Throughout my treatment I have had numerous PET Scans and other...mostly to monitor my liver.

I am currently taking Tamoxifen because I did get my period back.

I just started my second year of Herceptin. This was not initially my onc. recommendation but after seeing another onc. I felt like it was the best thing for me to stay on Herceptin.

My question pertains to ovarian suppresion. I am definatley having my ovaries removed. I don't want to deal with shots and I am done having children. My OB/GYN thinks I should go for the whole hysterectomy.

Was wondering if anyone has done this? Or has thoughts.

Thanks Elaine
ElaineRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:29 PM   #2
Sandy H

If it was me I would go for the whole thing including the appendix! I requested taking the appendix and I was glad I did because they were inflamed. The OB/GYN said I would have been back in for another surgery within a week. They were also wrapped around the bowel. Its our choice but that is my experience of course, I was having lots of pain and bleeding and yet the US did not show anything serious enough to warrant surgery!! Well, once in there I was a mess. It just may save you problems down the road. Wishing you well. hugs, Sandy
5 rads-skin mets
Herceptin, taxol, carboplatin (taxol seem to be the magic drug)
Navelbine & xeloda (did not work)
topical miltex for skin mets
Tykerb/xeloda
thoracentesis x 2 left lung fluid shows cancer cells
Port removal (4 years) with power port replacement
Doxil
Updated 05-07 Scans show no bone or organ involvement we shall see!

I shall not pass this way again. Any good I can do or any kindness that I can show let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again.
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 06:53 PM   #3
sabpri

Hi Elaine,

You are one of the first people I have met that has a similar situation as me, being a ??? Stage 4. They saw spots 2 spots on my bones and said it was cancer on PET, nothing on Bone Scan, questionable on CT, so I am documented Stage 4, but I am still questionable in my mind. I try and think of myself as Stage 3 until proven otherwise.

I was 37 and was also done having kids. I also tested BRCA+, so there was no doubt in my mind I was going to have my ovaries removed. I really conteplated whether to do the total hysterectomy or just ovaries. In the end, I decided I had enough surgery for now and opted for the ooph. I could have it laproscopic. I just feel like I had enough body parts removed. Now I can take Arimidex since I am post-menapusal and I think it shows better success rates than Tamoxifan.

How old are your kids? Mine are 5 and twins 3. How do you handle dealing with kids and a scary future. I was diagnosed August 05 and I am having a hard time worrying about recurrance, especially with ? Stage 4.

Natalie
sabpri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:01 PM   #4
Bev

Hi,

I hope the experts will chime in soon. If you do the oomph your uterus won't be doing a whole heck of a lot anyways. One of the side effects of tamoxifen is uterine cancer. So I still have mine but if you're doing surgery and your docs are recommending removal, consider it. My Gyn also said resumption of periods is not a good thing, but it seems everthing is different for each individual. Good luck. BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 06:08 PM   #5
Becky

I only had my ovaries out. You are having them out to go onto an aromatase inhibitor and that doesn't cause uterine cancer like Tamoxifen could. Healing is a ton easier too which is why my gyn only took the ovaries and fallopian tubes.

Kind regards

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 11:37 AM   #6
Kimberly Lewis

HI - I am 3 weeks out from having my ovaries, tubes, uterous, and cervix out - vaginally. I feel great, recovery was pretty fast. Have been taking it easy though. I just felt that if I am going in the hosp and under sedation, why not - i had them put in a new port at the same time. I feel like a car coming out of the garage! I have had 3 bad pap smears and am happy to have all that mess gone. It is a personal decision of course for all of us.
Kimberly Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 02:10 PM   #7
tousled1

Kim,

I agree with you. If you're in the hospital why not get it all taken care of.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote