HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-28-2006, 05:38 PM   #1
Mary Jo

First one in almost 16 months.

Well, I met with my radiation oncologist today for a 6 month follow up visit. I asked him a couple questions.........the first one is if he has seen women who have had adjuvent chemo/herceptin along with taxol - had PET/CT scan that were all clear at time of diagnosis and have recurrence already and he said yes, he has seen that. I didn't like hearing that. But, of course, I knew it must have happened. Then I asked him his thoughts on PET/CT scans when there were no mets at diagnosis. (my onc. doesn't believe in them BUT this was my radiation oncologist). I went on to explain to him that it doesn't seem logical to me to wait for symptoms. That by the time symptoms show up the cancer is usually more advanced. He said he agreed with me and that his normal course of treatment is a scan 6 months after treatment and then 6 months later. Because my cancer treatment wasn't done here this wasn't brought up to me by him because if he would have ordered me a PET/CT scan it would have had to be done here as he is not a physician where I go (Froedtert and Medical College in Milwaukee Wisconsin) I told him my initial PET/CT scan was done 11 days after my diagnosis here in my city - Sheboygan Wisconsin. I asked him if he'd order me one for here and he said he most definitely would. So.................this Saturday morning I will be having one. My last PET/CT scan was done July 5, 2005. My mastectomy was July 28, 2005 - so 18 months since surgery will be my 2nd PET/CT scan. My chemo ended 1 year ago on Nov. 30, 2005 and my years worth of herceptin ended Oct. 11, 2006 so I feel I am having PET/CT scan at a good time HOWEVER I am very afraid at this point. You want to think there's no way you're going to hear any bad news BUT we all know since our orginal dx that bad news does come sometime. I keep reminding myself that I am doing this for my benefit. God forbid there is anything brewing BUT if there is better to know that sooner than later.

So, I was very thankful they could get me in on Saturday morning already. I am soooooooooooooooooo praying that I hear "all was normal" like I heard the first time, July 5, 2005.

Wish me well......

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 05:55 PM   #2
Leslie's sister

Lots of Prayers in So. Calif

Mary Jo:

I will definitely be praying that you hear good news regarding the results of your scans!! Lots and lots of prayers. I also pray that 07 and beyond is nothing but good health and happiness for you.
5 cm. Her2Neu+++, ER-, PR-
1 positive node out of six,
double mastectomy 6/9/06;
TCH started 7/12/06
last chemo 10/25/06
herceptin ended 6-11-07
Leslie's sister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 06:06 PM   #3
Becky

I am sure all will be fine Mary Jo. My primary care physician wants me to have a yearly Pet scan even though my onco doesn't see the need (but will do anything I want). I see my onc for a normal follow up visit next week and I will discuss this with him then.

I will say Good luck!!! - but I don't think you will need it and all will be fine.

Happy New Year.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 10:33 PM   #4
sabpri

Smile Wishing you the Big ALL CLEAR!!

Mary Jo,

You were diagnosed only 1 month before me, and stopped your Herceptin around the same time I did, so I am right there with you. I think a scan right now would be a good idea too - and like, I am not naive any more that bad news can't happen, so I understand the fear! I just want you to know that I will say lots of prayers for you that all turns out clear. I have a good feeling that it will, but prayers are always good!

I go January 3rd for my check-up, so feel free to pass some prayers along my way as well!!

Happy, HEALTHY, New Year!

Love,
Natalie
sabpri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 10:32 PM   #5
deb-steph

Smile let us know

just read your thread. hope all went well. let us know the results. we all know about the anxiety that goes with dealing with this. hang in there.

deb-steph
deb-steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 05:37 AM   #6
Mary Jo

Hi Deb-Steph,

I had the scan on Saturday, Dec. 30th so no results yet. However, I am not just too stressed about the results. I am FAIRLY confident I am healed and feel good HOWEVER this "tool" was something I wanted to make sure my body was doing well. It's been 17 months since my surgery and 16 months since chemo began so I thought a PET at this stage was a good idea. Oncologist doesn't do them BUT radiation oncologist likes to do them 6 months & 1 year after treatment. I did not have one 6 months after rads but is approaching my year anniversary (Feb 07) so thought now would be a good time.

I definitely will keep you all posted and what keeps me calm is knowing that God already knows what my 2007 entails so I can rest in that.

Happy New Year to you all,

Mary Jo

P.S. When I say Onc. doesn't do scans I mean that she doesn't do scans when treatment is all over. She believes in them at dx to make sure cancer didn't mestaticize (spelling?????) but if all is normal at that time she doesn't follow up with them when treatment is complete. Only goes with a symptoms warrant approach.
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28