HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-11-2006, 11:51 AM   #1
sabpri

What could low Red Blood Cell Counts mean?

Not that I want to go looking for trouble, but I want to have the information if it is indicative of something.

I was feeling very sluggish, falling asleep at 8pm (when I normally go to sleep too late, like 11pm+). I also felt a little light headed and dizzy. Fingers and Toes were even a little tingly. Of course I was thinking, where is the cancer now.

When I went in for my Herceptin treatment, they said I looked a little pale and ordered bloodwork. It came back with RBC counts lower than my normal, like at 11 and something I didn't understand (lymphocytes? low). Everything else was normal. It dawned on me that everything I was feeling was exactly how I felt during my chemo treatments, as my Red Blood Cell counts always fell to 10-11 range and I felt sluggish and dizzy. They were always giving me Procrit to help boost them up.

They ran another test, for which I cannot remember the name, that tests Iron levels, which mine again came in low. My Onc said I should start taking Iron supplements. My Tumor Markers came back at 15, so they are not elevated (were elevated to 170 when diagnosed). I just had a recent PET scan and Brain MRI, and both came back clear.

It has been 2 weeks since this time and in my busy life I have not even stopped to pick up the Iron Supplements. This past week, I feel like my energy is back and I don't feel dizzy or have the tingly fingers or toes. I am thinking maybe it just went away. I will probably pick up the supplements anyway.

What I would like to know (after this whole long saga I wrote) - is what would low RBC be indicative of in terms of cancer? I think if the White Cells are high, that can be an indication of cancer? I am not trying to find something that is not there, but I also want to be vigilant for any symptoms if it means liver is acting up or some other organ (liver enzymes were fine). I am 10 months post chemo and 8 months post radiation and have not had this happen before, so I can't imagine it would be left over from treatments.

Thank you all so much for your continued knowledge and support!

Natalie
sabpri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 12:00 PM   #2
CPA

I am not a Dr. and I do not play one on TV... That being said, your low RBC count probably has nothing to do with cancer, and more to do with diet. Eat your green veggies and other things high in iron. Iron is essential to the production of red cells and if you are not getting enough, then your body will not produce enough cells (iron deficiency anemia). Iron supplements are cheap and effective, but good high-iron foods taste better. In testing for iron, your doc was doing the first obvious test when a patient presents with low RBC (when you hear hoof-beats, think horses not zebras). Good Luck.
CPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 01:03 PM   #3
jener8er

Hi Natalie! I constantly have low RBC, at my last Herceptin tx it had dropped to 10.4 from 11.7 3 weeks before - a bit confusing to my Doc. I can't tolerate oral Iron supplements so I get IV iron when I get my Herceptin. My doc is even more confused as I got the iron 3 weeks before this latest test result of 10.4. I had endomentrial ablation as my periods were really heavy, but I know you don't have that problem. Hmmmm... maybe it's because you haven't eaten any spinach lately! I would take the supplements and get it re-checked in about a month. I really don't think it's related to cancer at all (I'm hoping not for both of us!).
Hang in there, and I'm really glad your tumor markers were nice and low.
Jen
4/20+ Lymph nodes
Stage 3a
Age 38, CA
jener8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 01:39 PM   #4
tousled1

During chemo I had consistently low red and white blood cell counts. I am now only on Herceptin and continue to have low red blood cell counts. I get my Procrit shot just about every week. My oncologist said that sometimes it takes months for your counts to get back to normal. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 02:27 PM   #5
Hopeful

When I signed the consents at my onc for Herceptin tx, it stated that low rbc, low wbc and low platelets were all potential side effects from Herceptin. Could be a side effect of your tx. Good luck to you.

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:17 PM   #6
Sandy H

When my iron count is down that is how I feel. I try to eat lots of beets, green leafy vegies, and nuts and I would feel better in a day or so. I do not take the procrit shots its a personal reason of mine. You may want to research taking the iron supplement as I have read it maybe bad for the liver in us cancer patients. I don't have time to look it up tonight but I have stayed away from taking this supplement. Also my supplement consultant advised against it. hugs, Sandy
5 rads-skin mets
Herceptin, taxol, carboplatin (taxol seem to be the magic drug)
Navelbine & xeloda (did not work)
topical miltex for skin mets
Tykerb/xeloda
thoracentesis x 2 left lung fluid shows cancer cells
Port removal (4 years) with power port replacement
Doxil
Updated 05-07 Scans show no bone or organ involvement we shall see!

I shall not pass this way again. Any good I can do or any kindness that I can show let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again.
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:16 PM   #7
Bev

Natalie,

This is interesting. Before dx I always had low RBC to the point of almost blacking out. I had crime scene periods. I finally started doing my iron religously about a year before dx. Since chemopause and during chemo my RBCs are normal. On one hand I think iron may help tumors grow but on the other maybe the anemia is a symptom of something else. You can only do what the doc has told you to do at this point. I think this could be something interesting for further study. When I mention it to docs I get a real blank stare. Hang onto all those good results and be happy for now. BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote