HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Profiles In Courage
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2004, 12:57 AM   #1
Gabrielle

Diagnosed Dec 99 - 5.2 cm tumor infiltrating ductal Her-2/Nue estrogen-negative 9 nodes out of 21 positive for cancer. 44 years old at diagnosis.

Mastectomy; 4 rounds of adriamycin/cytoxan; 4 rounds of taxotere; 25 hits of radiation; 52 weekly herceptins.

Prophylactic 2nd mastectomy; propylactic hysterectomy.

No sign of disease. Don't give up hope. God Bless.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:34 AM   #2
SHERYL KELLOUGH

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR MESSAGE. I AM AN YEAR
SURVIVAL ON HERCEPTIN FOR YEAR. HEARING FROM YOU
HAVE GIVEN ME A LITTLE BIT MORE ENCOURAGEMENT.
GOD BLEES ALL OF YOU
Old 07-18-2004, 01:27 PM   #3
Elaine

Let's keep going !! Greetings from a 5 1/2 year survivor.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:15 PM   #4
Beth B

I'm thrilled for you!!! I too am 5 years diagnosed in May 1999. When I received my chemo (Adriamycin/taxotere) I was told in 99 I could not receive Herceptin as there was no protocolunless you were stage IV...At that time a little later in December 04/Jan 05 I know there were clinical trials adding Herceptin to chemo for stage 2/3 patients who were Ner2neu+...How did you get Herceptin X52 in 99? Thanks...Beth
Old 01-06-2005, 10:16 AM   #5
Gabrielle

8 months since my first post - still NED. Going to Onc end of this month and as always, am scared.

But, I'm in my 6th year, am NED right now, and it's less than 8 months before my oldest turns 18. God is good.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:01 PM   #6
Unregistered

Smile

Still here - still, no recurrence. Good health to all. - Gabrielle
Old 02-07-2006, 02:20 AM   #7
chrislmelb

bit slow to respond.....

great news for you Gabrielle. keep up the good work.
Christine
chrislmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 10:28 AM   #8
RhondaH

Thumbs up Gabrielle...

Thank you SO much for posting an update on yourself. I'm a firm believer that even though our lives get "back to normal" it's important to keep updates of ourselves for the newcomers as when I was first dx, I was frantically searching for positive stories...that was 1 yr ago (dx 2/1/06) and I will be updating mine shortly. Thank you, take care and God bless.

Rhonda
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:46 PM   #9
chrisc

Congratulations! It is very encouraging to hear, especially from a survivor of 3 years!!
chrisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 09:00 PM   #10
TorontoKaren

Smile Great uplifting posts!

I'm also 3 years....and really needed to hear these good stories....

I'll sleep well tonight!

Thank you.....
Old 02-10-2006, 09:16 AM   #11
anne

Cool

Thank you ladies for taking the time to post these uplifting stories. It is great for others to read. It seems that most of the senior members are having some setbacks lately and it's nice to know that others are doing well. Keep smiling and only the best of health to all of you.

XOXO
Anne
anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 01:06 PM   #12
Audrey

Smile

Hi everyone! I've shared my story before, but never get tired of saying that I was diagnosed in July 2001, at age 36 (Stage III, Her2+, er-, 11+ lymph nodes) and am enjoying NED--coming up on my 5-yr. anniversary this year!! Treated with mastectomy/AC/weekly Taxol/radiation/52-weeks Herceptin/prophylactic mastectomy...so far, so good--keep the faith--all my "prognostic indicators" were bad at the time, but anything is possible--don't give up hope! My beautiful kids are now 8 and 10 and barely remember when I was sick...
Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:15 AM   #13
Mgarr

Smile 5th Year

Congrat to all you courageous women. Thank you for sharing your Profiles in Courage. Every time I get down and sure my cancer will return I just read your positive stories and know it is possible!

Stage 2B 1/12 nodes pos. Grade 3 ER/PR- Her+++
DX 12/04, 2 surgeries 1/06, 4 A/C 4 Taxol, 30 rads, continued 3 week Herceptin til May

Mary
Mgarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 09:20 PM   #14
Unregistered

Thanks for the kind words friends!

I might also add it's been more than 5 years for a friend of mine who had her first primary as infiltrating ductal; her second as inflammatory; and she just had a hysteretcomy because breast cancer cells were found in her cervix.

So, she's having a rough time of it but she's been on Herceptin for over 4 years now -- she got to see her grandchild born; travel with her husband, etc. She's a strong lady who gives comfort to others. It's more than 4 years with for her with inflammatory - amazing. And, I know another 10 years+ inflammatory survivor.

So, keep the faith - don't despair. The best to all.
-Gabrielle
Old 03-17-2006, 10:29 AM   #15
lkc Gumby

Thank you too for posting .I am a stage III girl finished with DD AC , Taxotere and Rads. Now I am getting weekly herceptin and Hanging on to all positive sories.

God Bless.

Linda
lkc Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 02:12 PM   #16
lexigirl

Smile

Thanks to all of you for sharing your stories of hope. I love reading these wonderful posts!

Love and Prayers,
Lexi
lexigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:37 AM   #17
sabpri

Gabrielle - Your story caught my attention!

My daughters name is Gabrielle - We named her that because she was out miracle baby, born after years of infertily and an IVF procedure. She was our angel and so we named her after the angel Gabriel, and if you met her, you would be amazed at how much she truly seems like an angel on earth. She is so mature and wise for a little girl who is only 4!

Anyway, I love reading stories like yours, as I was diagnosed last August at the age of 37, with 3 little kids - twins that just turned 2 and a daugther not quite 4. I need to be here for my kids and always feel full of hope reading stories like yours. I had 7cm tumor with 7 nodes involved.

Thanks for the inspiration!
Natalie
sabpri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 09:38 PM   #18
ElaineM

Smile Long Term Survivor

Hang in there. I am a 7 1/2 year survivor of Her 2 Positive Estrogen positive Inflamatory breast cancer survivor. Keep going everyone !!
Elaine M
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 07:47 PM   #19
Gabrielle

Smile

Natalie,

All my prayers and best wishes go out to you.

When I was diagnosed, the fear that I wouldn't live to see my kids grow up was gut-wrenching and primal. I prayed that I would make it. I did. It was 6.5 years ago and my son and daughter were 12 and 9, respectively. Now, they are 18 and 15. So, I know how difficult this is.

I prayed to God. I told him I didn't know how to die -- I only knew how to live and if he was ok with it that's what I intended to do. Take each day one at a time; and live it. When my son turned 17, I kept an excel spreadsheet calendar on my desktop, marking off each week until he turned 18. That was the magic number for me because once he turned 18, I knew he could keep the house and take care of his sister. My husband had heart failure a few years after my diagnosis and I wasn't sure he would make it.

He and I are still here. We made it. I pray you will too -- there are new exciting advances in care each year for bc. I will look forward to reading your survivor posts for many many years to come. Hugs to you, your Gabrielle and your kids.

Thanks too to all the other lovely women here who have also posted in response. Long years of good health to all!

P.S. Still NED!
Gabrielle is offline   Reply With Quote