HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-31-2009, 07:16 AM   #1
Cannon

For cynthia1962

Hey you guys, I am new at this and I need to know how to post something on the board without going into someone message. This is my question. Do anyone no how to read an MRI My findings from monday was the ventricles and sulci are normal. No mass lession is present. there are no enhancing lessions. there is calcification in the falx. A few scattered unidentified bright objects are noted on flair and T2 weighted imaging. Diffusion imaging shows no evidence of acute infarction. No hemrrhage is identifed.
I went because I was having migrane headache and the nurse stated I should not be having them with herceptin so the onc told me to do MRI. Does anyof this states that they show me having the headache. Because the onc just stated I have a normal MRI
Dx 8/06 Age 43 Stage IIIA multifocal throughout breast, largest tumor 5 cm, grade 3, comedo, ER+PR+HER+++
Neoadjuvant A/C 4X Dose Dense
11/06 Bilateral Mastectomy (no choice on the right, my choice on the left)
Taxol+Herceptin weekly x12, continuing with Herceptin, finished one year in 12/07
33 Rads
Femara for 5+ years, staying on (started with Arimidex, switched after about a month, much happier)
Abnormal brain MRI shows no cancer, but "extensive white matter diease" - unknown cause
BRCA negative - lots of cancer in my family
survivor of thyroid cancer
also have Crohn's disease
CT and bone scan say NED as of 5/13
dx with severe cardiomyopathy 5/12 (likely due to chemo and Herceptin), ejection fraction in low 20's, now up to 40, went to 50, latest read 12/13 is back down to 35
1/13 Acute pancreatitis - are you kidding me?
9/13 started Humira for Crohn's. starting to have some energy again
B12 and Vit D both needed supplementation
Cataracts in both eyes noted 6/12 - surgery in the next 2-4 years?
4/14 Kidney stones/blockage/infection - related to Crohn's Disease
5/14 My aunt passed away - she was diagnosed after I was with Stage I - not Her2+, then Stage 4 for about one year
6/14 Scans - still NED, thank God. However, broken rib (I didn't notice) lots of bone degeneration osteopenia/osteoporosis. I also still have cardiomyopathy secondary to chemo.
Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 07:47 AM   #2
Cannon

Re: For cynthia1962

Cynthia, to post a new topic, push the button that says "start new thread."

First, I am 99% sure an MRI cannot "show" you having a headache. The MRI is to see if there is any thing in your brain causing the headaches.

Your second post which mentions "white matter changes" is something I am familiar with - and unless you've had a brain MRI before, you will never know what is causing those - it can be "small vessel disease" which is usually high blood pressure, and can be a risk of stroke - talk to someone about taking a baby aspirin a day if you are not already doing that. It can also be a side effect of chemo, or it could be from something when you were 10.

I would suggest making an appointment with a neurologist and having him review the MRI with you, he may also want to do an EEG which checks the electrical activity in your brain. He may also give you medication for the headaches.

Rebecca
Taxol+Herceptin weekly x12, continuing with Herceptin, finished one year in 12/07
33 Rads
Femara for 5+ years, staying on (started with Arimidex, switched after about a month, much happier)
Abnormal brain MRI shows no cancer, but "extensive white matter diease" - unknown cause
BRCA negative - lots of cancer in my family
survivor of thyroid cancer
also have Crohn's disease
CT and bone scan say NED as of 5/13
dx with severe cardiomyopathy 5/12 (likely due to chemo and Herceptin), ejection fraction in low 20's, now up to 40, went to 50, latest read 12/13 is back down to 35
1/13 Acute pancreatitis - are you kidding me?
9/13 started Humira for Crohn's. starting to have some energy again
B12 and Vit D both needed supplementation
Cataracts in both eyes noted 6/12 - surgery in the next 2-4 years?
4/14 Kidney stones/blockage/infection - related to Crohn's Disease
5/14 My aunt passed away - she was diagnosed after I was with Stage I - not Her2+, then Stage 4 for about one year
6/14 Scans - still NED, thank God. However, broken rib (I didn't notice) lots of bone degeneration osteopenia/osteoporosis. I also still have cardiomyopathy secondary to chemo.
Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:05 AM   #3
BonnieR

The good news is that your onc said you had a normal MRI. Like Rebecca advised, it would be wise to see a neurologist to rewiew things, explain the findings and continue to explore why you have the headaches.That was very helpful to me when I was having issues that required a brain MRI.
Might be some other medication you are on. Or elevated BP. Or high anxiety.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:55 AM   #4
Becky

My first brain MRI showed tons of "normal aging" stuff like that. Freaked me out a bit until I had my onc talk to the radiologist who read the results. Bottom line - normal scan for a woman my age.

We all have normal, weird stuff in our bodies that we'd never, ever know about unless we had scans and tests because of bc. Its just who we are.

Headaches are a matter of course. Having just one headache as a bc survivor, especially in the early years of survival, makes all of us think the worst and then you get more headaches from the stress of having a headache where you think its bc mets to the brain.

Your MRI showed normal results and that's all that matters. Just make sure your blood pressure is okay and thats not the cause.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:34 AM   #5
cynthia1962

Thanks you guys that was my next step on friday because from my research on the internet it states the calification of the falx meas association of a persisten headache with psychoneurotic symptoms. And I still am confused about the white nonehancing due to small vessel disease or chemotherapy. I am seeing a neuro on monday.