HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
twosenuf99

Need some help!!

Hi ladies
It's been forever since I posted but I do try to get on here and stalk the group everyday.. My thoughts are always with you all in this crazy journey of ours..

I am currently doing 5FU, Epirubicin, and, Cytoxin every 3 weeks. I have one left to go on February 13. I am also in the middle of reconstruction ie: getting expanded 120ccs in each "breast" weekly. By my calculations they will be filled to the max in about 3 weeks.

Originally the Onc told me I was Er-, PR- and Her2+.Then she said I am Er+ and PR+ along with Her2+ but the er and pr are so low she wasn't giving me the Tamoxifen.. Saw her today before my Chemo tx and she now says even though they are extremely low around 2. something she changed her mind and now will give me the Tamoxifen (even though she believes it won't help)with Herceptin when I am done chemo. She also wants to do 6 weeks daily rads. in 3 different places on my chest, subclavicle and underarm area.

My questions or concerns are like most others.. After reading some of the horror stories of Tamoxifen I am not sure what the benefits for me would be compared to the disadvantages.. I also am debating doing rads as after my mastectomy they could not find any disease. She is telling me it is protocol for stage 3c for as aggressive as it was to do it. I am also concerned with the side effects of rads compared to the benefits. I know if I do rads it can come back. If I do not do rads it can come back. She said there are no studies to give her any statistics on my particular cause since after the initial 16 weeks of chemo the 8 tumors and lymph node involvement was gone. Could not even find cancer cells to send to the study I was on.

I am not sure what to do as I feel whatever choice I make it may be a bad one. Please help me with your wisdom and experience..

Also on an easier note has anyone ever had the expanders filled 120ccs a week? My ps will not tell me what is normal. She said it is up to the individual.. Anyone ever expanded to the max (approx 840cc. ) The muscles are not bothering me half as much as the actual expanders digging into me are..

Sorry for the lengthy rant..

Tracy
Diagnosed right Invasive Ductal Breast Cancer which spread to my lymph node 5-13-2011.
Between Stage 2 and 3 with tumors grade III. ER/PR- but Her2neu+++
PET Scan clear
Breast MRI showed 2 masses in left, 5 in the right and 2 in the lymph node.
Biopsy of left mass benign
Joined clinical trial which required second biopsy of one of the right masses
Port placed May 27, 2011
Began Chemo (Taxol, Herceptin and Tykerb) on June 1, 2011 - September 12, 2011
Bi-lateral Mastectomy with reconstruction (expanders) October 3, 2011
FEC 12 weeks
Radiation 6 weeks
Herceptin 8 months finish September 2012
Exchange surgery August 3, 2012
Been NED since October 2011
Lymphedema right arm since Nov 2013
twosenuf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
chemteach

Re: Need some help!!

Hi Tracy. I'm going for my 5th expansion tomorrow. He only adds 75cc to each mound every week. I was a C cup before all this. I haven't worn a bra since August which I really like. I put a C cup bra on last week, and these "mounds" filled the bra nicely. 840cc seems like an awful lot to me, but maybe it's normal for some.
You are doing your research and will make an informed and educated decision regarding the tamoxifen and radiation. I have experience with neither. There are always "what ifs," but you mustn't second guess yourself. I am ER negative and slightly PR positive, so no tamoxifen or hormone inhibitors for me. It was chemo and Herceptin. I get that tomorrow too.
My thoughts are with you. You will make the right decisions.
9/19/2011 Started TCH every 3 weeks, TC for six cycles, Herceptin for 1 year

May all of your dreams bloom like daisies in the sun....
chemteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:53 AM   #3
Jackie07

My tumor was only 5% ER positive and my oncologist put me on Tamoxifen. I've seen research abstracts talking about new trials for patients who are ER- to receive Tamoxifen.

Below is a recent abstract on the subject:

Int J Dev Biol. 2011;55(7-9):703-12.
Four decades of discovery in breast cancer research and treatment--an interview with V. Craig Jordan. Interview by Marc Poirot.

Jordan VC.
Source

INSERM UMR 1037, University of Toulouse III, Cancer Research Center of Toulouse, Institut Claudius Regaud, 20 rue du pont Saint Pierre, Toulouse Cedex, France.

Abstract

V. Craig Jordan is a pioneer in the molecular pharmacology and therapeutics of breast cancer. As a teenager, he wanted to develop drugs to treat cancer, but at the time in the 1960s, this was unfashionable. Nevertheless, he saw an opportunity and through his mentors, trained himself to re-invent a failed "morning-after pill" to become tamoxifen, the gold standard for the treatment and prevention of breast cancer. It is estimated that at least a million women worldwide are alive today because of the clinical application of Jordan's laboratory research. Throughout his career, he has always looked at "the good, the bad and the ugly" of tamoxifen. He was the first to raise concerns about the possibility of tamoxifen increasing endometrial cancer. He described selective estrogen receptor modulation (SERM) and he was the first to describe both the bone protective effects and the breast chemopreventive effects of raloxifene. Raloxifene did not increase endometrial cancer and is now used to prevent breast cancer and osteoporosis.The scientific strategy he introduced of using long term therapy for treatment and prevention caused him to study acquired drug resistance to SERMs. He made the paradoxical discovery that physiological estrogen can be used to treat and to prevent breast cancer once exhaustive anti-hormone resistance develops. His philosophy for his four decades of discovery has been to use the conversation between the laboratory and the clinic to improve women's health.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:13 AM   #4
Jackie07

J Cell Biochem. 2011 Mar;112(3):761-72. doi: 10.1002/jcb.23004.
Roscovitine, a selective CDK inhibitor, reduces the basal and estrogen-induced phosphorylation of ER-α in human ER-positive breast cancer cells.

Węsierska-Gądek J, Gritsch D, Zulehner N, Komina O, Maurer M.
Source

Cell Cycle Regulation Group, Institute of Cancer Research, Department of Medicine I, Comprehensive Cancer Center, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria. jozefa.gadek-wesierski@meduniwien.ac.at

Abstract

Roscovitine (ROSC), a selective cyclin-dependent kinase (CDK) inhibitor, arrests human estrogen receptor-α (ER-α) positive MCF-7 breast cancer cells in the G(2) phase of the cell cycle and concomitantly induces apoptosis via a p53-dependent pathway. The effect of ROSC is markedly diminished in MCF-7 cells maintained in the presence of estrogen-mimicking compounds. Therefore, we decided to examine whether ROSC has any effect on the functional status of the ER-α transcription factor. Exposure of MCF-7 cells to ROSC abolished the activating phosphorylation of CDK2 and CDK7 in a concentration and time-dependent manner. This inhibition of site-specific modification of CDK7 at Ser164/170 prevented phosphorylation of RNA polymerase II and reduced basal phosphorylation of ER-α at Ser118 in non-stimulated MCF-7 cells (resulting in its down-regulation). In MCF-7 cells, estrogen induced strong phosphorylation of ER-α at Ser118 but not at Ser104/Ser106. ROSC prevented this estrogen-promoted activating modification of ER-α. Furthermore, we sought to determine whether the activity of ROSC could be enhanced by combining it with an anti-estrogen. Tamoxifen (TAM), a selective estrogen receptor modulator (SERM), affected breast cancer cell lines irrespective of their ER status. In combination with ROSC, however, it had a different impact, enhancing G(1) or G(2) arrest. Our results indicate that ROSC prevents the activating phosphorylation of ER-α and that its mode of action is strongly dependent on the cellular context. Furthermore, our data show that ROSC can be combined with anti-estrogen therapy. The inhibitory effect of TAM on ER-negative cancer cells indicates that SERMs crosstalk with other steroid hormone receptors.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:42 AM   #5
Sheila

It must be up to the Plastic Surgeons and Oncologists....my sister was NOT allowed to get any fills while going through chemo, and for 3 weeks after completion. Also, none is allowed if undergoing radiation. She begins again tomorrow with 50-75 cc in each side. This will be a weekly thing, or every 2 weeks if she chooses.

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:54 AM   #6
sarah

Hello,
I have a friend who's been on Raloxefene for about 9 years, I don't think you could get her off it. She says it also protects the bones. She's a big reader and up to date on things so you might want to ask about Raloxefene over Tamoxifen.
all the best
Sarah
Old 01-24-2012, 09:05 AM   #7
chrisy

Do checkout other options to "manage" the ER side, but remember there is more than just a "horror story" on tamoxifen! It has saved many many lives over the years. It was the first targeted therapy...

You definitely want to hit all the targets, there is some evidence that blocking one(her2) can up regulate the other. Cancer is sneaky and will look for a way. Don't leave any windows open!
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:19 AM   #8
twosenuf99

Thanks everyone. I saw the radiation onc today and she is insisting where I started with the aggressiveness of the cancer I need to do rads. I am still not sure what I will do. My biggest fear is pain and damage to my lung, ribs or chest wall. Not to mention that I may lose the expander that I have been filling. She says all these are rare but unfortunately I am atypical and the stuff that shouldn't happen to me does.. The onc said chemo related nausea was a breeze with the new meds they have to counteract it.. Problem is none of them worked for me. I just learned like many others to cope. As for the Tamoxifen(sp) I have not decided on that either but I will definitely ask about the Raloxefene. I was also told today not to continue filling the left expander until after rads because they will not be able to position the machine properly. So now I worry about filling the right and looking lopsided.. I know it is trivial to worry about the way I look but I guess I am just really done with all of this. So stressed out over what to do, I just want to go to bed and never come out. Thanks again for the advice. I appreciate it.
Diagnosed right Invasive Ductal Breast Cancer which spread to my lymph node 5-13-2011.
Between Stage 2 and 3 with tumors grade III. ER/PR- but Her2neu+++
PET Scan clear
Breast MRI showed 2 masses in left, 5 in the right and 2 in the lymph node.
Biopsy of left mass benign
Joined clinical trial which required second biopsy of one of the right masses
Port placed May 27, 2011
Began Chemo (Taxol, Herceptin and Tykerb) on June 1, 2011 - September 12, 2011
Bi-lateral Mastectomy with reconstruction (expanders) October 3, 2011
FEC 12 weeks
Radiation 6 weeks
Herceptin 8 months finish September 2012
Exchange surgery August 3, 2012
Been NED since October 2011
Lymphedema right arm since Nov 2013
twosenuf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:56 PM   #9
Rich66

The beauty of a daily pill like Tamoxifen is that if side effects creep up, it's easy enough to change course. On patient boards, probably more likely to hear complaints. my mom had far less issues with Tamoxifen than Arimidex. And she was taking the Tamoxifen it with low dose Xeloda and Cytoxan (and anti-inflammatory supplements).
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:11 PM   #10
chemteach

Jackie, thank you for the abstracts on the research about tamoxifen. I will certainly mention that to my onc next time. I really appreciate all of your knowledge in the many areas of breast cancer.
Tracy, I would think that you'll get to continue reconstruction after the radiation. It will work out because you've got to do what is best for yourself. Hang in there. Your decisions will become clearer. Janet
9/19/2011 Started TCH every 3 weeks, TC for six cycles, Herceptin for 1 year

May all of your dreams bloom like daisies in the sun....
chemteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:08 PM   #11
Debbie L.

Tracy, I have no experience or advice with the expanders but I do have a question about the ERPR. It looks like you had several biopsies, and then surgery? Were all the ER values consistent in those differently-gathered tissues? Or was there only one pathology that reported the ER? If so, was it done a a major (preferably Comprehensive Cancer Center) lab? If there is ANY doubt about this, I suggest that you send (or have the lab send) your tissue for a second pathology opinion at a Comprehensive Cancer Center.

There are two issues here. Of course, you don't want to miss an opportunity to take a drug that can make a big difference to your risk of recurrence. But on the other hand, neither do you want to take a drug that offers you no benefit, and side effects to boot.

Debbie Laxague
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:14 AM   #12
KsGal

I have expanders, and they fill them 100 each time. I think if I got the max you were talking about I would pop! lol. Im not getting fills now while I do chemo, by my own choice. As far as your other questions, if you are in doubt about the tamoxifen or radiation, maybe it would be good to just get a second opinion? And ask lots of questions, gather information. In the end, of course, it is your body and your choice, but I do kind of lean towards if there is anything that can even possibly help you fight this nasty cancer and beat it back, take it.
December 2012 was diagnosed with five brain mets, and had whole brain radiation.
Around July 2014 two mets in brain, one a residual spot and one new one growing in size. Received Cyberknife on both areas
Clear/NED
April 2015 remain NED
KsGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:16 AM   #13
sarah

I think you're getting distracted by ifs and maybes. the most important thing is to kill the cancer and you know that. concentrate on that and do what they suggest. if you're not confident with the medical advice you're getting, get another opinion. you must feel confident of the advice and treatment. As someone who had a cancer, called cured, come back, I'm inclined to do more rather than less. for nausea there are good mediations and eat ginger and drink ginger ale. take Raloxefene at night. actually haven't heard of bad side effects from it.
herceptin of course is the most important drug to take when you're HER2+
ask them to fill the breasts evenly so you can stop at any moment and be even and I would suggest keeping them small and easy to monitor.
Look towards the positive not the negative. the treatment is helping you survive and have a life to enjoy. The side effects are just the cost of having that opportunity.
Enjoy your life.
the treatment will end and things will get better.
health and happiness
sarah
Old 02-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #14
tricia keegan

Just to mention re the Raloxifene, this was tested on ladies who had NOT had bc and was found to be beneficial in preventing it while protecting the bones to a degree but has'nt been tested on anyone with bc as yet and is usually given to those who cant take Tamox or have severe osteoporosis after bc!

I did'nt like the potential serious side effects of tamox so had an ooph and take Arimidex ever since.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:39 PM   #15
Jennt28

Tracy, My RO advised the 33 sessions (incl 5 boosters) to all three areas. I looked at the stats and have said yes to breast and axilla ( 1/1 of my nodes was positive) and NO to the supra-clavicular because it looked like there was only a 3% benefit gained by radiating that area but some significant side effects risks.

I won't start rads until after chemo. Currently just done second FEC of three, then 12 weekly Taxols.

Oh, RO has also given the option of 28 sessions using a new technique where they do the boosts at the same time - extra blast in the boost area at each treatment. I'm leaning towards either that option or the third option which is the Canadian shortened protocol (but my RO likes to only give that to elderly women so told me I'd really have to twist her arm for that one).

regards Jennt28

Last edited by Jennt28; 02-02-2012 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: spelling
Jennt28 is offline   Reply With Quote