HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 02:37 AM   #1
Paula O

Statement by Obama again in Debate re: mammograms at PP

Last night's Debate brought up claims by our President again about mammograms being done at Planned Parenthood. Although I personally care very much about the lives of babies, both unborn and born, this thread is not intended for a discussion about politics or the Pro-Life issue. I found the below links interesting. Check 'em out: what do you think? Does anyone have references to validate this statement by President Obama and the CEO of PP that planned Parenthood does mammograms?

http://liveaction.org/blog/planned-p...mmogram-claim/
(Video of Cecile Richards, CEO of Planned Parenthood claimning that PP DOES mammograms and the documentation of follow up calls to PP clinics confirming that they don't))

WASHINGTON, D.C., March 30–A series of new undercover phone calls reveals that contrary to the claims of Planned Parenthood CEO Cecile Richards and other supporters of the nation’s largest abortion chain, the organization does not provide mammograms for women.
In the tapes, a Live Action actor calls 30 Planned Parenthood clinics in 27 different states, inquiring about mammograms at Planned Parenthood. Every Planned Parenthood, without exception, tells her she will have to go elsewhere for a mammogram, and many clinics admit that no Planned Parenthood clinics provide this breast cancer screening procedure. “We don’t provide those services whatsoever,” admits a staffer at Planned Parenthood of Arizona. Planned Parenthood’s Comprehensive Health Center clinic in Overland Park, KS explains to the caller, “We actually don’t have a, um, mammogram machine, at our clinics.”
Opponents of defunding Planned Parenthood have argued in Congress and elsewhere that the organization provides many vital health care services other than abortion, such as mammograms. Most prominently, Planned Parenthood CEO Cecile Richards recently appeared on The Joy Behar Show to oppose the Pence Amendment to end Planned Parenthood’s taxpayer subsidies, claiming, “If this bill ever becomes law, millions of women in this country are gonna lose their healthcare access–not to abortion services–to basic family planning, you know, mammograms.”
---------------------------------
"Anytime someone suggests to you that Planned Parenthood performs mammograms, I encourage you to share with them http://www.adfmedia.org/files/DOC702.pdf
from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services demonstrating that it’s untrue. No Planned Parenthood clinic in the country is authorized to perform mammograms. If they are nevertheless performing them, they are violating federal law.
Under the federal Mammogram Quality Standards Act, administered by HHS, “[n]o facility may conduct an examination or procedure…involving mammography” without a certification from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. While a 2004 amendment to this law permits some states to also authorize mammography facilities, these certificates are still issued under the authority of the FDA, and the FDA records all certificates and investigates facilities holding such certifications. In short, there is no uncertainty: if Planned Parenthood could perform mammograms, the FDA (and HHS) would know it.
When President Obama and other Planned Parenthood partisans were making their mammogram claims, Alliance Defending Freedom filed a Freedom of Information Act request to seek any certificates held by any Planned Parenthood clinic or affiliate in the country. The response from President Obama’s own HHS is that no such certificates exist. No Planned Parenthood affiliate in the nation possesses the necessary certification to perform mammograms under federal law. Subsequent e-mails to the department further confirmed this fact.
Federal law provides that anyone operating a mammography device without such a certificate is subject to substantial fines of up to $10,000. So when Cecile Richards, Kathleen Sebelius, or President Obama tell you that Planned Parenthood performs mammograms, they’re telling you that Planned Parenthood is subject to serious fines for violations of the Mammogram Quality Standards Act.
http://www.lifenews.com/2012/09/07/o...do-mammograms/
Old 10-17-2012, 09:59 AM   #2
KristinSchwick

Re: Statement by Obama again in Debate re: mammograms at PP

Glad you pointed this out. Thanks.
March 2011: 6 wks rads.
Mother passed, lower back pain.
Late May 2011: Bone mets but organs clear; Tykerb, Xeloda, Xgeva. Stopped Herceptin. Implant infected: removed implant.
October 2011: Bone progression; Gemzar and Carboplatin & restarted Herceptin.
Jan 2012: Progression, re-classified as ER+; Tykerb, Herceptin, Zoladex & Femara. Anti-E is working!
May 2012: ovaries out, markers stable but elevated. Cont. Herceptin, Tykerb, Xgeva & Femara.
Dec 2012: aromasin
Jan 2013: faslodex, herceptin, tykerb
Jun: Kadcyla
Aug: Rads to hip, then Perjeta, Herceptin & Taxotere
Nov 2013: Perjeta, Herceptin, Halaven
Early 2014: Affinitor, Aromasin, Perjeta, Herceptin.
June 2014: Estradiol, Perjeta, Herceptin
Aug 14: Tamoxofin, H & P
http://kristin-notdying-blog.blogspot.com/
Old 10-17-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
karen z

If this thread "is not intended for a discussion about politics or the Pro-Life issue" why the large and (at least to me) offensive poster of our president above? If this is about "mistakes" only then one should report mistakes made on both sides (fact checkers- including the moderator of the debate who apparently did fact check in real time- could help out with that). If we have to live with mistakes I would rather they be in the direction of trying to help women.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
Nancy L

Planned Parenthood does not perform mammograms anywhere. They do breast exams and refer women out but they don't pay for mammograms. I believe other charities or Medicaid pay for mammograms for the poor and women without insurance. I didn't see the moderator fact check this--will have to look and see her source. For me it is not about whether they do or don't. I just want the truth on all issues in all elections.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
karen z

Read again. The moderator did fact check in real time but caught someone else in a major lie (his picture is not posted, however). The moderator did not fact check enough in real time to catch all lies OR unintentional errors by both sides. The moderator (and candidates) are human. Humans make intentional and unintentional mistakes. Go figure.

So, breast exams but not mammograms. Seems like that could be helpful to women. My tumor was caught during a breast exam.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #6
StephN

The same thought struck me after all the bruhaha between Komen and PP last year.

I just checked our Greater Northwest Planned Parenthood web site and Alaska has a program to PAY for mammograms after the primary insurance has been billed, if the person has that. Otherwise there is a fund up there to pick up the cost.

There may now be other PP locations that have enough private funds to do as Alaska in certain instances, since Komen no longer contributes to PP.

However, I don't think mammograms are available at the actual office locations. There are mobile units that come to designated places.

A woman CAN get a breast exam at most of the PP locations, as far as around here. I understand that mostly young women and underserved populations take advantage of PP.

P.S. Moderators should not be trying to fact check, but let the debators check each other as time allows and without going on a tangent.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.

Last edited by StephN; 10-17-2012 at 04:06 PM..
Old 10-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #7
karen z

Steph,
Thanks for this valuable information (and the work to dig it up).
K
Old 10-18-2012, 11:22 AM   #8
suzan w

I agree with Karen Z. This site is not for political discussion...plenty of places for that.
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
Old 10-18-2012, 09:12 PM   #9
Jackie07

But we do need accuate and timely information...

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/cath...ned-parenthood

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Old 10-19-2012, 07:45 AM   #10
rhondalea

The facts:

http://factcheck.org/2012/10/planned...nd-mammograms/

Planned Parenthood provides mammogram referrals the same way a gynecologist or primary care doctor would. (I don't know any doctors who do mammograms in their own offices.) You can log onto the site:

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-center/

Input a zip code or city. Each center has a link for "Women's Health Care". If you click the link, you will get a listing similar to this one:

Manville Health Center offers the following women's health services:

checkups when you have a reproductive/sexual health problem
breast exams
cervical cancer screening
hormone replacement therapy
LEEP (treatment of abnormal pap)
mammogram referrals
menopause and midlife — testing and treatment
Pap test
sexual response education
routine physicals for women age 14 and older
urinary tract infections — testing and treatment
vaginal infections — testing and treatment
Other services we may provide include help with irregular periods or no periods, painful periods, painful sex, bleeding between periods, menstrual problems (premenstrual syndrome) or even a lost tampon.
Women's health services are available:

during all business hours on a walk-in basis

Different centers offer some different services (see above for LEEP, which is not offered at all centers), but all those I looked at had the "mammogram referral" listing.

Finally, I would like to add my voice to those who disagree with bringing politics into this group. (A worthy exception would be if Fran Visco persuades one of the candidates to agree with her vision.)

2/6/09 Core needle biopsy: negative; Mammos through 2010: no change
3/30/11 Pea-sized lump in left breast at site of prior biopsy; mammo negative, sonogram not so much
4/14/11 Core needle biopsy: negative for cancer
5/18/11 Excisional biopsy 1.2 cm tumor, LVI, positive margin; ER+60%,PR+20%,HER2/CEP17 5
6/15/11 BMX: Left DCIS & LH; Right ADH; SNB: 2/3 nodes: 1.4 cm and 1 mm; ALND L1&2: 0/10; Stage IIa, Grade 3
7/14/11 CT/Bone scans NED; MUGA 66%
7/19/11 Biweekly dd AC w/Neulasta; done 8/30/11
9/13/11 Transfusion (Hemoglobin 8.6); MUGA 64%
9/20/11 Start Taxol + Herceptin; Taxol done 12/6/2011; continue Herceptin until 9/4/2012
12/27/11 Radiation - 6 weeks; 2/27/2012 - DONE! Yayyyy!
2/29/12 Start Tamoxifen 20 mg/day; continue until 2/28/17
5/16/12 Start five-years Metformin trial
6/19/12 MUGA 61%
8/21/12 Brain MRI NED (head still hurts, brain still fogged)
9/4/12 Herceptin done!
9/6/12 Port out!
7/11/13 Aricept 5mg for cognitive impairment; increased to 10mg as of 8/23/13; back to 5mg 12/2013
5/2014 Add Namenda 7mg
9/2014 Stop Aricept and Namenda; Neuropsychological evaluation
10/24/14 Start cognitive rehabilitation therapy
Closed Thread