HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-05-2006, 05:06 PM   #1
michele u

want everyone's opinion

I have to give the survivor speech at our local relay for life. i usually do my "forced courage" speech. If anyone does not know this, it is about how our courage has been "forced" on us, we did not pick cancer. I tell how our troops and misionaries and other people that "volunteer" for their courageous acts. This year i want to write a piece on "Mutants". If you are familiar with the Xmen series, the new Xmen 3 is about how the "Mutants" can get a cure by taking a vaccine and they will normal again not mutants anymore. Some wanted it and some said, we are not that "different" from normal humans. Some did not want to give up their "gifts" of being different. Well, this got me thinking about us cancer survivors. We ARE Mutants. We have mutated cells in us, cancer cells. We are normal humans, but instead of our mutated cells giving us great powers like xmen, our muated cells can take our lives. When we are dx with cancer, we get the "mutants" label put on. We are different. We feel different. We love different. We "know" certain things about life and mortality that people that don't have cancer can't understand. If our "mutated" cells would not kill us, would we want to take the "cure" and take away all that we have learned about life? I wouldn't. I want to know what everyone thinks. Do you think that some people would be offended by it? Thanks
michele u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 06:13 PM   #2
Amy

Well said Michele. I very much appreciate your inspiring thoughts and analogy. We all are warriors in this battle and we can either choose to grow from it....or not. And I really can't see why anyone would take offense to what you present....you are simply sharing love, kindness and compassion....and giving strength to those of us who need it. Sometimes a little "tweaking" of our perspectives helps us tremenously... Thank you.

Love, Amy
Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 06:46 PM   #3
Berta

Michele: Last year I gave the survivor's speech at Relay. I also talked about how some postive things come from having had cancer (new appreciation of life, different priorities, etc) . I talked about "Heros" who had shown me how to survive. I included my sister ; an older lady in our community who died from cancer ;and Lance Armstrong and how they all taught me to embrace life and live each day to its fullest. Good luck on your speech. BERTA
Berta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:33 PM   #4
jsattaw

Hi Michelle --

I like your ideas and believe they would also be helpful for caregivers and those who have friends as survivors to understand the perspective. I'm sure you will do a great job -- thanks for sharing your ideas with us and good luck on your presentation.

Jill
Old 06-05-2006, 08:58 PM   #5
tammymarie1971

Michele..I think your speech is going to be great. I love the analogy!!! I am not sure i would give up everything I have learned either...although just to have the BIG weight lifted every once and awhile would be nice!!!
Tammy
Dx'd Dec'01 while 6mos preg. with #4. child (30yrsold)Mastectomy/AC chemo/radiation/ Recur:Mar'04 liver mets: 3 taxol/herceptin /liver resection/3 taxol/herceptin. Cured?
Recur: May'05 spine & Hip. New onc
treatment in Mexico Feb'06-Mar-06
back to Mexico June/July '06
Currently on herceptin/Zometa/Femara-recently added navelbine
Switched to arimidex Nov'06
ovaries removed June '07
ca15-3 in May'06 was 102
ca15-3 summer of '07 holding steady at 23!
ca15-3 slowly rising Dec & Jan 36, 38, 41 and Feb was 36
Feb '08 Liver, lung & Brain scan NED... bones are stable with even a couple spots gone. as compared with '06 scans
May '08 ca 15-3 is 55. Treatment is zometa, vinorelbine, herceptin and aromasin.
No signifcant changes.
Feb'09 Started Xeloda with herceptin..no more hormonals
Feb'09-June'09 tumor markers coming down again from 155 to 84
May'09 blood clots in lungs vena cava filter put in..Heparin shots daily for now.
tammymarie1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:53 PM   #6
chrisy

Now I know how to describe it!

Michele,

Whoever gets to hear your speech will be blessed, indeed! I agree, what a great perspective. Tough for "non mutants" to grasp - but this will touch everyones soul - relay for lifers are already touched in some way or we wouldn't be walking around in circles all night long! I can't imagine anyone being offended because I know you will articulate it perfectly, as you have just in posting the idea! Don't make it so good that people start wanting to be mutants!

Living with stage !V disease, hope for a cure is one of the things that keeps me going. Maybe they can come up with a vaccine that keeps it from killing you but LEAVES you with the wisdom, joy, wonder, and perky reconstruction!

Michele, I'd love to hear your speech - I'd love to hear your forced hero one as well! Maybe you could post it here!

You are really an inspiration.
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:01 PM   #7
chrisy

Forced COURAGE

Michele,

I have to say again, I love the forced courage speech, too. I think many of us have delivered a version of that one. I know I have. Its not about being courageous or brave - its about fighting to get back to being you - or rather finding the quiet (or not so quiet) strength that you had all along. We fight or die. That's one of the things I love about this board - we fight and find encouragement and the "courage" to fight some more.

Thanks for being such an inspiration
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:02 PM   #8
Patricia

Hi Michelle,

I like the idea of you speaking about the concept of survivors being different in every aspect of their lives. I have had a LOT of conversations with my husband, mother and friends about this change that comes about with cancer. Those that I have talked to that are also survivors, totally get it. Those that aren't usually don't totally get it and to be really honest, there have been those that have felt offended. They have told me that they feel that somehow I am erecting a barrier that they cannot cross because they cannot possibly understand the experience. I have talked a lot about it with my therapist, who is also a survivor. We talk about living this almost parallel experience to those that have never been diagnosed and the loss of innocence and security in 'life'. I have very mixed feelings about it myself. I love being 'awake' in life and feeling everyday that I am grateful to be alive, regardless of the weather, work, etc. I hate the burden of fear and worry that comes along with it and I just wish that *every* person in the world could be 'awake' too, but without having had the experience of cancer that we have all had.

Good luck with your speech!! I do hope you stick to your theme. I would love to see more survivors talking about this side effect so that it is more commonly understood by those around us; our lovers, families, friends and caretakers.

Warm Regards,
Patricia
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:16 PM   #9
Tom

Mutants

Dear Michele. This is a little off topic, but remind the audience that science indicates that every so often, ALL of us develop a cancerous cell, or at least one that will become fully malignant if left unchecked, but the body recognizes that cell and quickly destroys it or orders it to self-destruct. That might give them a new perspective on who among us is or isn't a mutant.

Tom
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 03:08 AM   #10
RhondaH

Thumbs up Well said Michele...

I don't see where you could improve on it

Rhonda

Dx 2/1/05, Stage 1, 0 nodes, Grade 3, ER/PR-, HER2+ (3.16 Fish)
2/7/05, Partial Mastectomy
5/18/05 Finished 6 rounds of dose dense TEC (Taxotere, Epirubicin and Cytoxan)
8/1/05 Finished 33 rads
8/18/05 Started Herceptin, every 3 weeks for a year (last one 8/10/06)

2/1/13...8 year Cancerversary and I am "perfect" (at least where cancer is concerned;)

" And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 03:13 AM   #11
Kimberly Lewis

I really love the analogy and enjoyed the movie. I am still trying to figure out what bothers me about being a mutant. I guess sometimes I know that I am kind of on the "outside" a bit... people look at me and treat me differently and that makes me sad. I know it is an act of kindness on thier part but it is kind of creepy. I guess I will just have to live long enough to make them forget my cancer, tho I never will! please post the entire speach? Thanks for telling us about it!
Kimberly Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 04:30 AM   #12
madubois63

Michelle - I am POSITIVE your speech will be AMAZING. If anyone is offended, they are not of our world and then - who cares. No, I'm kidding. I can't see how anyone could be offended. I think it is a great analogy and it makes sense - may get a few people thinking...Good luck!!!

..·´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
-:¦:-
((¸¸.·´ ¸.·´
-:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:-
((¸¸.Maryann -:¦:-´´
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 05:53 AM   #13
tousled1

Michelle,

I think your idea of the mutants is perfect. When you have cancer people do look and act differently. Where they do it intentionally or not I doubt it -- I guess it's just human nature. They don't really understand cancer and they only way to help them understand is to educate them. Good luck with your speech. I know it will be tremendous!
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 06:42 PM   #14
Jean

Dear Michele,

Your speech is wonderful and brilliant! I have come to learn and understand that for some it is difficult /and even for a few/ to truly understand what we
go through - from the moment you hear the words "you have bc" your world is forever changed. How difficult it is to share those emotions with others, even the best intended do not deeply understand our fear and the dreams we had that are shattered. Then comes the building - the inner strength that we learn we are capable of - I doubt that anyone would be offended - Please do share your speech with us when complete...I am certain all of us will greatly appreciate it! Good Luck!
Fondly,
Jean

Last edited by Jean; 06-06-2006 at 06:44 PM..
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:38 PM   #15
mekasan

great idea

Hi Michele,

I think you have a great idea for a moving speech. You are the best! Since you asked for feedback, here are my thoughts...

First, when I read your question, "If our "mutated" cells would not kill us, would we want to take the "cure" and take away all that we have learned about life?" I immediately felt the irony of our situation. In other words, if our mutated cell could not kill us, we would not have learned all that we have about life! Your question truly captures the tragedy that preceeds so many of life's greatest lesson. Experiencing and understanding this tradegy is what we share.

Second, I just want to point out (and I am sure you know this), that no matter what you say and what you intend to express, there will always be some who are easily offended. We can't please everyone. When presenting in front of large group and when the topic is so emotionally loaded, there is bound to be someone who says "did she just call us mutants?!" In time they, too, will understand your message.

I guess I just want to say that your metaphor is wonderful, creative, and empowering. If you decided to give this speech and notice some negativity, don't let it question your message or your delivery of the message. Many will need to and should hear your thoughts.

Keep up the good work.

Talk to you soon
Shannon
4 cm DCIS
0 nodes
ER-/PR-
Her2+ (5.33 FISH)
AC (4 cycles)
Bi-lat mastectomy w/ lat flap recon + cohesive gel implants
1 year (every 3 weeks) Herceptin
mekasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:37 AM   #16
TriciaK

I,too, am looking forward to reading your speech posted here if you would. It sounds like a great idea and I know you will give it from the heart. I would like to see a magazine article with that theme, maybe you could expand your talk to that. There may be many who don't "get it", but unfortunately the chances are that eventually they will because of the chances of them or a family member going through all this . It may be then that they will remember and appreciate all you have told them. I doubt that any of us would have really understand until we got to this point, but like others, the lessons learned have been invaluable to me. Everything falls into an eternal perspective! Good luck with your talk! We are all proud of you! Hugs, Tricia
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote