HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-22-2008, 08:48 PM   #1
goops

It might be possible to keep you hair during chemo

When I was having chemo treatments, I lost my hair. I started to take a supplement called Noxylane4 and my hair started to grow back - even though I was still being actively treated. Noxylane4 is a supplement that is supposed to increase your NK cells to help your immune system fight off cancer. It is rice bran and mushroom formula.

I met a woman in chemo who had all her hair - she was on her final chemo treatment (15 in all). This poor woman was diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer, they did a CT and found out she also had stage 1 lung cancer. A doctor had told her to take AHCC, he told her it would help her a lot. This formula is also rice bran and mushroom, she said she believed that formula saved her hair. I tried that formula too - but I found it upset my stomach. This formula is easier to find at a health food store, Noxylane4 you would probably have to order on the web.

I suspect that if someone started taking either of these formulas or MGN3 (Almost the same as Noxylane4), it will not only help your immune system but it would help you keep your hair as well.

I first heard of these formulas in a book named "Cure Your Cancer".

Help my city grow:

http://goopsville.myminicity.com/ind/
goops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:55 PM   #2
Jean

Very interesting post, I have a question, since this formula increase the immune system how does it effect the chemo? For instance as the chemo
is going after T cells and your are feeding the immune system is it counter effecting the work of the chemo?

When I was taking chemo my dr. did not want me taking supplements which may work against the chemo. After chemo during herceptin I
was permitted to take all.

Regards,
jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:15 PM   #3
goops

My doctor did not have a problem with supplements - this supplement encourages you to use traditional treatments because the formula works with them. If you look at Herceptin it is made to make the cells more vuernable to chemo or your immune system. These supplements help your immune system by making your natural killer cells more active. Cancer patients usually have very inactive NK cells - I believe that is part of the reason we got cancer to begin with. While chemo goes after all fast growing cells - the only ones we really need them to kill are the unhealthy (cancer cells)

Everyone will have to decide for themselves as to whether they wish to take supplements or not. My oncologist tells me that I am at very high risk of re-occurance, I therefore want all the help I can get.

Help my city grow:

Old 01-23-2008, 12:17 AM   #4
Chelee

My onc told me I was not to take any supplements at all during my chemo trts. I also had a 2nd opinion onc up at a major cancer center and she was totally against it too. I didn't even bring up the topic...she did. I was told the same thing Jean & Karen were told by their onc's. My recurrance rate is really high too so I just did as I was told. This is something everyone should always discuss with their onc while doing chemo.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:14 AM   #5
tousled1

I too was told not to take any supplements while in treatment. I will ask about this next week when I go for my treatment.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:47 AM   #6
Jean

HMMMM, interesting, but...
When I had this discussion with Dr. Slamon who is the Father of Herceptin
he did not want supplements while on chemo/herceptin.

Part of chemo treatment unfortunately does destroy healthy cells.
These is still unanswered questions regarding the many pathways
that channel cancer. Research has not discovered just exactly what
occures and there are yet many theories as to why the cancer cells
survive and destory our healthy cells..but we certainly do not want
to defeat the actons of the drugs. Nothing is better than our bodies
abilites to protect us as far as I am concerned, but as I said earlier
it is still a mystery as to "why" our cells cannot defeat the cancer cells.

I believe this is yet another topic that is ripe for discussion!
Regards,
jean
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
9/06 Completed chemo
Old 01-23-2008, 04:52 AM   #7
Jean

A good read...

Regarding supplements and chemo...

http://www.abreastinthewest.ca/medical2.cfm?Num=43

You have to fully understand the possible consequences of combining antioxidant supplements and chemo. Based on the CURRENT knowledge available, there is a potential reduced effectivenss of certain chemotherapeautic agents when combined with antioxidants. This could mean that with a reduced benefit there could be a lack of response, or continued progression of the cancer despite therapy or a decrease in long term survival, this has not been determined.

When I was having radiation, the very first thing the rad dr. stated was no antioxidants during treatment, esp. Vit. C
Since none of the supplements/and/herbs are not regulated and are easliy purchased we must be cautious and remember
these are drugs in and of themselves. No one really understand their reactions along with chemo. I do not know of any
trials on this subject...we should check with Lani to see if she has any research articles on this.

Great Topic.
Regards,
jean
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
9/06 Completed chemo

Last edited by Jean; 01-23-2008 at 05:04 AM..
Old 01-23-2008, 06:34 AM   #8
Brenda_D

I have to ask what kind of chemo she's having?
I know when I go, there are other CA patients there getting chemo, and depending on the chemo given, they do or do not lose their hair. Seems BC- yes, lung, colon BC- no. At least at my Onc's.
Brenda_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:41 AM   #9
goops

I do not know what kind of chemo she was taking - whatever the drug it was for lung cancer and experimental for breast cancer.

Help my city grow:

Old 01-23-2008, 11:56 AM   #10
Brenda_D

Thanks goops. I'd be interested in knowing how it works for the BC.
Brenda_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:49 PM   #11
hutchibk

I have a nutritionist who only wants me taking very specific supplements while on chemo - and nothing that is anti-oxidant or immune boosting... as they can interfere with the pathways that the chemo uses, and they can interfere with the efficacy of the chemo during the "protected zone" which can be a time frame that ranges from 2 weeks to 5 days to 2 days on each side of a treatment. The last thing I want to do is mess with anything that could negate the work that the chemo is supposed to be doing! I would rather be bald, personally.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:51 PM   #12
Jean

Brenda,
I agree and by the way your one good looking woman with or without hair.

Jean
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
9/06 Completed chemo
Old 01-23-2008, 10:06 PM   #13
Alice

The main problem with trying to boost the immune system during chemo is the fact that the chemo drugs can't differentiate between good fast replecating cells, such as skin, hair, intestins etc. and not the bad fast replecating cells such as breast cancer cells. Also the body does not discriminate as to which cells to boost, the good cells or the bad cancer cells. as my onc told me, we certainly don't want to kill the good cells but we more importantly don't want to inadvertantly boost the bad ones.
Alice
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:45 AM   #14
madubois63

I have to ask what chemo you were on besides what chemo the other woman was on?? I have lost my hair 6 times to breast cancer and leukemia chemo's. My first time, I took adriomyacin/cytoxin. I lost my hair in 2 weeks time. I did four treatments, then started taxol. Within 2 weeks of starting the taxol, my hair started to grow back. I was not allowed to take supplements because of possible interactions with the chemo. The last thing I wanted to do was weaken the chemo I was taking to kill the beast. Each time I lost my hair thereafter, the time it took to grow back was different with each drug. I am starting a new plan soon, and I've been told I won't loose my hair at all. I'd be the first one to try something to keep my hair, but I've found that people sometimes tweak the facts to boost their own self worth (I know I do it). Please be careful and discuss things with your onc before trying any miracles...
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol
Tamoxifen 4 1/2 yrs
Radiation - 32 x
Metastatic BC lung/liver 10/04
thorocentesis 2x - pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carbo
Femera/Lupron
BC NED 4/05
chemo induced Acute Myeloid Leukemia 5/06
Induction/consolidation chemo
bone marrow transplant - 11/3/06
Severe Host vs Graft Disease of liver
BC mets to lung 11/07
Fasoladex Herceptin Zometa Xeloda
GVHD/Iron overload to liver
Avascular Necrosis/morphine pump 10/10
metastatic brain tumor
steriotactic radiosurgery
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:22 AM   #15
caya

My onc. also said ABSOLUTELY NO SUPPLEMENTS, not even a multi-vitamin pill during chemo. He and the onc. pharmacist stressed I was not allowed to take anything at all except for Tylenol without their permission.

Once I switched to Herceptin only he has basically allowed me to take pretty well anything, but I still ask.

I'm with Brenda H - I'd rather be bald.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:19 AM   #16
Yorkiegirl

Yep same with me I was told NO SUPPLTMENTS until Chemo was done.

Once I started Herceptin I was able to start my COQ10, and my Calcicum/Vit D.

I was not going mess this up.
MRM 4-5-05 w/ 2 tumor's 5cm, and 6 cm (right side)
IDC (poorly differentiated infiltrating ductual carcinoma)
5+/16 nodes
Stage III A
Grade 3
ER/PR-, Her2/neu ++
Ki67 78%
Begin Chemo 5-2-05 4XAC Dose Dense , 4X Abraxane Dose Dense (ended August 05)
28 Rad's ended October 13 2005
Started Herceptin Weekly August 2005 for one year
Had a Simple mastectomy left side after Mamo showed incresed micro-calcifications. Jan. 17 2006.
Brain MRI Feb.2006--All Clear
August 28, 2006 Last Weekly Herceptin.
October 2006--Colonoscopy, 6 Polyp's removed--all B9
PET Scan July 2007
Abdominal MRI Oct. 2007---2 Right Kidney Cysts
Core Biopsy-- Lump on Scar Line 1-10-08---B9
Brain MRI 6-2008--All Clear
PET/CT Scan 6-2008
Sept. 8 2008, 4CM area removed from mastectomy scar line. Proved to be B9.
PET/CT Scan-- July 2009 --All clear
August 17,2009 ---Had Port Removed
6 Years NED -- April 5,2011
DX'd with Melanoma left arm 10-10-2011
Yorkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 05:52 PM   #17
TSund

I am interested in this thread. I am certainly not telling anyone to take supplements nor to go agaist their onc's opinons but...

1) I'm under the impression that this is theoretical only. In other words, it is theorized that the supplements could get in the way of chemo, but no studies have borne this out? I think rads + antioxidants have more definite evidence.

2) The oncs just don't know, and most of their training is heavily "westernized" obviously.

3) I'll admit it; we went against the standard onc rec during chemo, and Ruth did so very well the very first treatment that the onc said "go ahead and keep doing what you're doing". We did not load up on the typical anti-oxidants (vit C) but RUth took astralagus, reishi, glutamine, fish oil, heavy duty multi-vitamin, protein powder that included amino acids, etc.

I just don't think anyone really knows, but I was so concerned about trying to help her system, and it seemed to really help. (white counts stayed up, she never missed work, etc)

If Ruth recurrs, (god forbid) I guess we will never know if this was a mistake; however so far the onc said it was one of the best immediate responses she had ever seen, especially in a cancer as large as her was. I think it possible that these things work synergistcally instead of getting in the way but of course I am no expert. Each person must make these choices for themselves.
Breast MRI showed 2 enlarged nodes, not palpable
100%ER+, 95%PR+, HER2+++
6x pre-surgery TCH chemo finished 9/15/7 Dramatic tumor shrinkage
1 year Herceptin till 6/08
MRM 10/11/07, SNB: 0/4 nodes + Path: tumors reduced to only a few "scattered cells"
now 50% ER+, PR- ???
Rads finished 1/16/08
Added Tamoxifen,
Finished Herceptin 05/08
NOW is the time to appreciate life to the fullest.
TSund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:04 PM   #18
BonnieR

This is the first I am hearing about not even taking Vit D, Calcium etc during chemo. My onc certainly knew I was taking these and it was not an issue. Is this something else I can add to my worry list??

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:06 PM   #19
hutchibk

I have been approved to take omega 3s and calcium+D during all of my chemos. During some of my regimens I have been allowed a very specific dose of multi, B6, and/or B-complex, some I have not been allowed B-complex for 48 hrs prior or 5 days post treatment, and on Tykerb/Xeloda, I am not allowed multi or B-complex at all. Each chemo comes with it's own potential interferences from vitamins, so I think a lot of docs would rather say to just steer clear, rather than have to work out a complicated supplement regimen. I consult with a nutritionist who is cancer specific, and my onc approves whatever plan he comes up with.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 07:33 AM   #20
TSund

vit b etc

R took a B complex also. She avoided a 3 day window around treatment also. I forgot this Brenda, thank-you!
Breast MRI showed 2 enlarged nodes, not palpable
100%ER+, 95%PR+, HER2+++
6x pre-surgery TCH chemo finished 9/15/7 Dramatic tumor shrinkage
1 year Herceptin till 6/08
MRM 10/11/07, SNB: 0/4 nodes + Path: tumors reduced to only a few "scattered cells"
now 50% ER+, PR- ???
Rads finished 1/16/08
Added Tamoxifen,
Finished Herceptin 05/08
NOW is the time to appreciate life to the fullest.
TSund is offline   Reply With Quote