HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Articles of Interest
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
'lizbeth

The Brain's Immune System

a few paragraphs from: Why is my brain not working? Brain Inflammation chapter p201 by Dr. Datis Kharrazian, DHSc

"At the root of brain inflammation are microglia cells, the brain's immune soldiers. They determine whether your brain is inflamed and aging too quickly. Microgia cells have received attention only in the last 20 years or so. Prior to that they were merely to be glue that held the brain together: glia is the Latin word for glue.

Newer research, however, hows the complex interplay between microglia and hormones, ctyokines, neurotransmitters, and other chemical messengers in the body and brain. There are 10 glia cells for every neuron in the brain, and if you weigh the brain, more than 50 percent of it is glia cells. In other words the brain is more glia cells than neurons.

Microglia are either in a resting state or an active state. In normal conditions the microglia perform many functions vital for healthy brain function. They dispose of dead neurons, beta amyloid plaque, the substance that predisposes one to Alzheimer's and other cellular debris that may interfere with healthy communication between neurons. However, in a heightened state of activation, they create an overzealous inflammatory response that cause brain inflammation, or neuroinflammation.

Neuroinflammation leads to both immediate and long-term complications. Short-term consequences are that it immediately hinders the transmission speed and conductivity of neurons, which mean neurons fire more slowly. This slows down brain function and creates symptoms of brain fog, slower mental peed, slower recall, and slower reflexes.

Another consequence of neuroinflammation is that it shut down energy production in the cells so that brain endurance plummets. This cause limited endurance for reading, driving, or mental tasks, and may also cause depression. A longer consequence of chronic neuroinflammation i neuron death and the development of neurodegenerative disorders.

Many things can activate the microglia and inflame the brain, such a diabetes, high-carbohydrate diets, poor blood circulation in the brain, and inflammatory triggers from areas outside of the brain, including an inflamed gut or environmental pollutants. In the end it comes down to whether the brain's microglia cells have been activated. Luckily, there are things you can do about it."

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
'lizbeth

Re: The Brain's Immune System

Compounds that dampen microglia neuroinflammation: (page 213)

Apigenin, a bioflavonoid found in parsley, artichoke, basil and celery

Luteolin, a bioflavonoid found in celery and green peppers

Baicalein, a flavonoid (you'll need to Google for this one!)

Resveratrol, a flavonoid found in grapes and wine (Yes! Wine!)

Rutin, a citrus flavonoid found in plants, a powerful antioxidant

Catechins, polyphenolic antioxidant plant metabolites abundant in various tea leaves.

Curcumin, antioxidant compound found in the India curry spice of tumeric.

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation

Additional treatments:

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease

Last edited by 'lizbeth; 07-25-2013 at 12:46 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 07-27-2013, 04:50 AM   #3
Ellie F

Thanks for posting. This connection is really interesting. Wonder if irritable bowel affects this?

Just wanted to say a big thank you for your efforts to post relevant and informative articles. I very much appreciate it.

Hugs
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #4
'lizbeth

Lancet. 1995 Apr 8;345(8954):897-8.
Focal white-matter lesions in brain of patients with inflammatory bowel disease.

Geissler A, Andus T, Roth M, Kullmann F, Caesar I, Held P, Gross V, Feuerbach S, Schölmerich J.
Source

Department of Internal Medicine I, University of Regensburg, Germany.

Abstract

Inflammatory bowel diseases are often associated with extra-intestinal manifestations, such as arthritis and iritis/uveitis. Using magnetic-resonance imaging we found hyperintense focal white-matter lesions in the brain in 20 of 48 (42%) patients with Crohn's disease, in 11 of 24 (46%) patients with ulcerative colitis, but in only 8 of 50 (16%) healthy age-matched controls (relative risk [95% CI] vs controls 2.6 [1.3-5.3] and 2.9 [1.3-6.2], respectively). These findings may represent another extra-intestinal manifestation of inflammatory bowel disease.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7707814

Additional treatments:

Old 07-27-2013, 11:39 AM   #5
'lizbeth

Dr. Kharrazian's :"Why Isn't my brain working?" book is 587 pages long. It has interesting concepts.

He recommends improving cognitive function by stabilizing blood sugar, increasing oxygen to the brain, and providing mental stimulation.

We all should be avoid sugar and processed foods anyway because we are cancer survivors (I love my sweets!).

The exercise benefits are currently being studied for cancer survivors, and we see the additional benefits to our cognitive function with increased oxygen.

Intestinal distress? Try a gluten free diet. Also if the brain connection to the gut has been affected we need to restimulate the vagus nerve. Do this by gargling water before you swallow, singing at the top of your voice, or stimulating your gag reflex.

Additional treatments:

Last edited by 'lizbeth; 07-27-2013 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: typo