HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-06-2004, 02:39 AM   #1
Steph N

Hi Esther!
You went away with a positive attitude and this seems to have carried you away from your troubles with your health. Most of us do NOT look at all like we are suffering from a life-threatening disease, except when we have no hair(and don't use a wig) or some other tell-tale sign. When our counts are low we do not have our usual sparkle, but other than that we put on a pretty good show.
People think I am "cured" now that I have been NED for over 2 years. They forget that I still go for infusions and blood draws every three weeks. They forget that my life is still dependant on expensive drugs because I am active and involved.
A change of pace and surroundings, expecially when you had little to do but enjoy yourself has done you a lot of good. And you enjoyed it that much more due to the struggle of the past few months. Very freeing!
Thanks for the happy report.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:41 AM   #2
Esther

I was VERY pleasantly surprised at the amount of energy I had during our recent 12 day vacation. We spent 5 days at sea, gambling, partying and enjoying life, then reached Hawaii. We cruised for 7 days stopping for 1 or 2 days in each port.

I had the energy to sightsee, shop, swim and just plain have fun!!!

All that, after 8 months of chemo, Navelbine/Herceptin/Xeloda for mets to my liver. In conversation with our dinner table companions, I mentioned that I was in chemo for liver mets, and they were shocked! Said I didn't look or act as though I was sick.

Makes me hopeful that I can beat this diseas back into NED. I honestly feel better than I have in a year.

Then...back to reality. We got back to CA late yesterday, and I went in to my onc's office for my Navelbine/Herceptin infusion today...Real life returns.