HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-02-2004, 07:53 PM   #1
Lyn

Hi ladies, I assume you are taking Benadryl so you don't have an allergic reaction to your chemo. I was given Phernergon, however you spell it and it sent me to sleep during chemo and I don't like not being in control, not to mention I lost my independece in driving myself, so I told my onc this and now I take a Telfast tablet before I head off to chemo, and I am in control again, unheard of using it instead of intravenous anti-histamine because I have to buy it from the pharmacy in a pack of 10, I had to explain a few times to the different nurses why I didn't have mine in the drip, but lets face it, it is all about change and our quality of life, so talk to your oncs for an alternative.

Love & hugs Lyn
Old 10-02-2004, 09:45 PM   #2
Mary - Tierrasanta in San Diego

I only got Benadryl the first time that I had Herceptin in case I had a reaction to it. Made me feel like I was having a heart attack. Luckily I had no bad effects from the Herceptin and never got the Benadryl again. Never got it for Taxotere either.
Old 10-02-2004, 11:25 PM   #3
Rozebud

Am I the only one that loves benadryl? I love getting it with my herceptin - I get to take an hour nap in the comfy chair!! One time they didn't give it to me and I was SO bummed. It just knocks me out and gives me some much needed rest. I look forward to my infusions - how sick is that ??
Old 10-03-2004, 02:22 AM   #4
Kathy

Rozebud
YOu aren't sick, I feel the same way. When they took the Benadryl away, the treatments just never get done fast enough. SLeeping through it was the way to go..Kathy
Old 10-03-2004, 03:24 AM   #5
celina

funny!! My sister feels the same way...the infusins go by so quickly while she's having a little "siesta".
Old 10-03-2004, 04:23 AM   #6
AlaskaAngel

Lyn, thanks, I will be sharing this info with the women here - we are isolated from the big city so sometimes don't get this kind of tip.

Old 10-03-2004, 09:45 AM   #7
Patty H

The only time they gave me benadryl was when I had a reaction to carboplatin. It doesn't make me sleeply like most people it makes me edgy. I feel awful on it. But if it did put me to sleep, I sure would want it. LOL Patty H
Old 10-03-2004, 10:09 AM   #8
Lyn

Hi Ladies, I agree the sleepy feeling is nice, and I have to have it for the Taxol,I don't get a choice, they keep me longer than necessary by making the infusion slower I get bummed because it means they can do as they like and not respect my choices, and I am the one stuck in the traffic after my all day Friday at the unit, but I have read a lot of ladies have the off feeling for days so I thought I would share.

Love & Hugs Lyn
Old 10-03-2004, 11:00 AM   #9
Cathy W

Hey I use it as an excuse to go home and take a nap instead of going back to work!
Old 10-03-2004, 12:41 PM   #10
Lolly

I don't remember if I had Benedryl with my first Herceptin infusions, but must have had, but I don't get any now, I know for sure. I've just had stomach issues with Navelbine, so I get Kytril with each infusion, and I have Phenergan pills here at home for breakthrough nausea. I didn't know Phenergan was also used for allergic reactions, but I looked it up after reading your post, and so it is...we just keep learning from each other!
Old 10-04-2004, 02:12 AM   #11
velva

Hi girls,
I take Benadryl with each Herceptin infusion. I had a reaction after 5 tx's--- hives. Funny thing is, Benadryl doesn't effect me anymore. I liked that sleepy feeling too, but guess my body became used to it.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:25 AM   #12
Sheila

I have never gotten Benedryl before Hercpetin...I am jealous of all of you that have...guess they dont want me too sleepy before I drive in Chicago traffic! There are enough bad drivers there already. Maybe I'll get it before they give me Carboplatin.
Hugs
Sheila
Old 10-06-2004, 10:09 PM   #13
Lyn

Hi Lolly, my computer has been down for a couple of days, glad you found out how to spell Pheee yeah can't get around that one, but that Telfast is far better, I just go shopping after now, when I get past the traffic... but also found out that my Taxol is coming in a 500ml bottle but only 280 mls in it, found out the hard way, the drip just about finished after 20 minutes instead of 60 but didn't feel any different so don't know how long it should be over at that rate, I mentioned about the fraud going on in US watering it down and told the nurses if I go down hill they better find out what is actually in my bottle now it is being prepared outside the hospital.

Love & Hugs Lyn