HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Diet and Nutrition
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Diet and Nutrition By popular demand our nutritional message board. This board will be monitored by a Registered RD who is certified in oncology by the American Dietetic Association

Old 06-10-2017, 08:02 AM   #1
Journey74

Rath protocol/Lysine

I was wondering if anyone can offer input on the Rath protocol or the use of Lysine. The Rath protocol is designed to aid in preventing metastasis as it helps create as maintain tissue around organs to prevent invasion from a wandering cancer cell. Lysine is a part of that but Lysine has an impact on the EGF, which I haven't been able to tell if it's a promoter or a regulator of it. This is my second primary cancer and have been in remission from my first advanced cancer and this was something I did during active treatment for that cancer. I would like to start it up again but don't know about the lysine.
Journey74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 01:08 PM   #2
donocco

Re: Rath protocol/Lysine

Journey

I did a bit of research on the Rath treatment. It uses Lysine, Vitamin C, Proline and a green tea extract. The Lysine and Vitamin C work together apparently to inhibit those enzymes that break down the collagen barrier that separates cells from each other and inhibiting these collagen breaking enzymes inhibits the spread of cancer cells. I forgot what the Proline does. My research was very prliminary. Lysine and Proline are Amino Acids.

The Rath protocol involves a strict diet also. One of the purposes of this diet is to greatly restrict the intake of an Amino Acid called Glycine which is a major component of a chemical called Elastin which is important in blood vessel formation. It sounds promising.

Paul
donocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 02:02 PM   #3
Journey74

Yes, thank you. This is all what is said about the Rath Protocol. My question, however, was about the safety of Lysine for her2+ as it has some effect on the EGF, though it's hard to determine if it promotes or if it regulates it. That's an important difference for her2+. While I haven't been able to find this out specifically, it has been told to me that lysine is beneficial for me. I also may have an appointment with an integrative oncologist who will hopefully advise as well
Journey74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 02:23 PM   #4
donocco

Journey

Ill see what I can find about Lysine and Her-2. I kind of doubt there is any glaring problem but who knows. The words EGF mean Epidermal Growth Factor and EGFR mean Epidermal Growth factor receptor. There are several EGFs and what affects one does not necessarily affect another.

Paul
Old 06-18-2017, 02:45 PM   #5
donocco

Journey

There is no way I can give you a 100% positive answer. I can only give you an educated guess and I doubt there is a problem with Lysine. The anti-her 2 drug Kadycla is an antibody (Herceptin) conjugated to a chemo drug known as Emtansine. Lysine is the conjugating bridge between the Herceptin and the Emtansine. Once Kadycla enters the cancer cell it is broken down into the anti-her 2 neu antibody, Herceptin and the Chemo drug Emtansine. Once the Herceptin and emtansine separate in the cell Lysine is left. Apparently it doesnt interfere with the Herceptin.

Your concern is not baseless. In acute lymphocytic leukemia in children one of the drugs used in remission induction therapy is a drug (enzyme) called L-Asparaginase which breaks down the amino acid, Asparagine needed for Leukemia cell growth. Obviously if a Leukemia patient was given capsules of Asparagine or ingested a high asparagine diet, this would interfere with the effects of L-Asparaginase. I doubt Lysine is anything like this.

Paul
Old 06-19-2017, 11:12 AM   #6
donocco

I did some more investigating and it seems it is not Lysine that forms a bridge between the Herceptin and the Emtansine but a cyclohexane derivative. This info was from prescribing info for Kadycla and I assume it is correct. Sorry for the misinformation. It always pays to doublecheck

Paul