HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-15-2018, 12:27 AM   #1
VDC
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 117
Cannabis anyone?

I have hesitated to log in and post this....because frankly it goes against everything I have believed for years and years! But? Here is my experience and I can't explain it. I had HER2+ hormone negative disease two years ago and surgery 20 months ago. I was told that my chances of recurrence were off the charts (the ONCO test) where I scored a 79 on that stupid test. It was predicted I had 20% chance of invasive recurrence and 20% chance of DCIS recurrence. ...all within 5 years. I did whatt I always do with medical things and researched like crazy. I ran across a study and then contacted the researcher. She was an oncologist hospice nurse doing research on the side. In the course of our conversation she shared what she was seeing with her breast cancer patients who used cannabis. Those with HER2+ disease hadf better responses to cannabis than those who were HER2-. I was intrigued but it went against everything I believed about cannabis. however, two months later I decided to give it a whirl. I was put on 125 mg of CBD and 20-25 mg of THC in a 24 hours period.



I never dreamed there would be any way to determine if it helped keep my cancer at bay or not. However, in December during my yearly MRI, a suspicious lump was noticed in my breast right in the tumor bed. I clearly knew what was coming but tried to have some hope. The biopsy was December 12th and it was found to be a very rare form of cells that is usually only found in younger women, and even then it is rare. But it wasn't cancer so I was elated! The researcher I had been working with, asked if she could share my pathology report with Dr. Sanchez from Spain who is doing cannabis research. I gave my consent as long as my name was removed. Dr. Sanchez said that my cells are exactly what she sees when she treats HER2+ BC cells with cannabis. I was (and am) still chewing on that. I was told that Dr. Sanchez was quite excited by my pathology report because it is the first indication that cannabis "might" be helpful in preventing relapse. At least for some types of Breast cancer. Apparently (and I didn't know this) HER2+ Breast cancer is about 80% likely to have overexpression of CB2 receptors which is why the THC shuts it down. However in the other 20% THC can actually INCREASE the rate of growth! This is because THC compromises the immune system and if the tumor does not have overexpression of CB2 receptors then the suppressed immune system allows for greater growth. However if the tumor does have overexpression of CB2, then THC shuts it down and quite well! Given that my tumor was HER2+ and hormone negative there was less concern for growth but even so, I decided to treat it as if I was hormone positive which is why I took 125 of the CBD and only 20-25 of the THC.



But I am still chewing on it. I had those rare cells that aren't usually found in a woman my age, AND it is the same kind of cells that Dr. Sanchez sees when treating HER2+ Breast cancer with cannabis.



Honestly, I think my cancer DID come back but the cannabis shut it down. I can't prove it. It could just be a very fluky coincidence. but it would be one in a million if it is.



Adding to my consternation is my oncologists comments when I met with her in April for my six month check up. She admitted she hasn't expected me to remain cancer free for so long. She expected my cancer to come back within the first year. She said she was puzzled but that my surgeon must have done an exceptional job! I haven't told her about the cannabis because my employer has a "0" tolerance for cannabis and I love my job! I don't want to lose it! (I teach college chemistry)


Any way, I just finally decided I should share. Becuse? Who knows? Maybe it could help someone...?
VDC is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright HER2 Support Group 2007
free webpage hit counter