HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-25-2005, 05:17 PM   #1
Merridith

Hi HER2 Friends:

I have copy typed this article for you from a magazine since it doesn't appear to be published online to link to.

After reading this article, I think that I am going to self-dose myself with olive oil (approx 1 tablespoon @ day) as I am guessing that this might be equivilant to what a normal mediteranean diet would include.

New Scientist Magazine
Jan 15-21, 2005 edition
Article by Philip Cohen

Olive Oil May Reduce Breast Cancer Risk

Olive oil could be the key to why the Mediteranean diet helps reduce the risk of developing breast cancer.

Epidemiological evidence has long suggested that one of the many benefits of the southern European diet is that it protects women against breast cancer. Now Javier Menendez at the Northwestern University Feinberg Schoold of Medicine in Chicago and his team have shown that oleic acid, the major fatty acid component of olive oil, blocks the production of a protein that boosts the growth of breast cancer cells. "It shows a moecular way in which it can fight cancer," says Menendez.

Previous attempts to uncover the secrets of olive oil's apparent anti-cancer powers have had mixed results. Some animal studies suggeset the oil can help protect agains tumours. Others suggest it has no effect, or even slightly increases the risk.

However, few of these studies looked at the effects of the oil's different components, which vary depending on the type of oil. Menendez realized this could be the cause of the mixed results.

In his study, the researchers applied oleic acid to human breast cancer cells growing in dishes. They used levels comparable to those found in the blood of people whos diets were rich in olive oil. They found the acid halved production of the HER2/neu protein, which plays a key role in about a fifth of breast cancers (Annals of Oncology, DOI: 10.1093/annonc/mdi090).

These breast cancers acquire multiple copies of this gene and begin producing far too much of this protein, which is associated with fast-growing, aggressive tumours. Her2/neu is the target of the anti-cancer drug Herceptin (trastuzumab), an antibody made by the biotch company Genentech.

In their tests, Menendz found that Herceptin reduces Her2/neu levels by 48 per cent, about as much as the oil. Intriguingly, treating the cancer cells with both oleic acid and Herceptin drove Her2/neu levels down still further, by as much as 70 per cent. That suggests that altering the diet of women with this kind of breast cancers could give the drug more kick.

Menendez hopes to start assessing the effects of oleic acid supplements in cancer patients soon. "Unlike many drugs, olive oil and oleic acid aren't at all toxic, so there's no reason not to try," he points out. He thinks manufacturers of olive oil and other oleic acid-rich oils such as sunflowers should start advertising the levels of total oleic acid they contain so that consumers can shoose the best product for a "cancer-prevention" salad. "Right now, oils aren't characterised in this regard," he says.

Instead, olive oil is classified partly by the level of free oleic acid, which makes the oil acid andthus less desirable. But the vast majorit of the fatty acid is locked up in larger fat molecules and is released only during digestion.

.....now isn't that interesting? Please forgive any typos you find.

Merridith
Old 02-25-2005, 07:37 PM   #2
Janet/FL

Merrideth
Thanks so much for this artical. If anyone knows of the best brand of olive oil, could they please post.
Janet/FL
Old 02-26-2005, 02:34 PM   #3
AlaskaAngel

What is so interesting to me about all the discussion of olive oil is that its anti-cancer properties have been consistently emphasized over time by a number of prominent physicians who have recognized how important our diet is for us. Dr. Weil is the main one that comes to mind. Since diagnosis several years ago I have used only olive oil in my diet for cooking and salads. I have also consistently taken 2 tablespoons of freshly ground flaxseed daily.

A.A.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:01 AM   #4
Cindy H.

I take the gel tablets and my nails are beautiful and my hair grew back faster.

Supplement Flaxseed Oil

Description Flaxseed is just what it sounds like - the seed of the flax plant. The typical use of flaxseed is as a source of the essential fatty acids linolenic acid (LN) and linoleic acid (LA). Flaxseed oil is about 57% LN (an omega-3) and about 17% LA (an omega-6). LN can be converted into eicosapentaonic acid (EPA) and decosahexanoic acid (DHA) - fatty acids which are precursors to anti-inflammatory and anti-atherogenic prostaglandins. Another beneficial ingredient found in abundance in flax seed is lignan - a phytochemical with potential for cancer prevention.

Claims Reduces cholesterol
Decreases blood pressure
Reduces risk of stroke and heart attack
Reduces arthritis pain
Protects against cancer
Alleviates inflammatory conditions such as multiple sclerosis, eczema and psoriasis

Theory Some of the health benefits associated with flaxseed consumption may be due to the presence of compounds known as lignans, which are known to possess various pro- and anti-estrogenic properties.

Scientific Support Studies have shown that 40 grams of flaxseed oil each day can reduce blood clotting by reducing platelet aggregation. Regular flaxseed consumption has also been associated with improvements in the ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acids in the blood - a situation which may offer protection from atherogenesis and relief from inflammatory conditions. A number of animal studies have shown a beneficial role of flaxseed oil in delaying breast cancer progression and preventing against colon cancer - sometimes as much as a 50% reduction compared to control groups not fed flaxseed. A clear and consistent reduction in pro-inflammatory markers (tumor necrosis factor and interleukin) has been noted in human subjects supplemented with flaxseed oil.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:01 PM   #5
*_KathySC_*

I wouldn't be afraid of taking more of the oil. I have a good friend that has arthritis and she takes a shot glass full daily. Myself I take at least 3-4TBS taken through out the day, if not more. I put it in my health shakes, on my salads, warm it with a little butter for my popcorn topping, pour it on my vegetables. Any oppourtunity to use it, I do. I figure we have billions of cells that need it and if its going to make an impact, it will need to be a significant amount. Start small and gradually add more to your diet. I would pretty much stay away from junk food to off set the calories and eliminate the bad oils.
Kathy
Old 02-28-2005, 09:40 PM   #6
al from canada

The flax seed oil Linda takes also contains 145 mg Oleaic Acid / cap. This is the same active (anti-tumour) ingredient present in olive oil.
Al