HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #21
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Really good to know...!

I love the free link. I love free. And getting to know supplements is up there on my Need To Know list. Thanks Rhonda!!

I have a large paperbook A-Z DRUG-FREE REMEDIES USING VITAMINS, MINERALS, HERBS & FOOD SUPPLEMENTS -- called PRESCRIPTION FOR NUTRITIONAL HEALING by Phyllis A. Balch. Every few yrs I upgrade to the newer edition. I now have 4th edition.

You name the supplement, you name the condition/dysfunction and you have a handy informative guide to how to procede -- at your fingertips. In your lap...

When I got shingles (a mnth into Taxotere) as it seizes immune system compromised opportunities -- I caught it fast. Got on the Valtrex right off. And was told I couldn't have chemo till I was all better.

I KNEW that if I didn't get the chemo I would die. So I added the suggested supplements in my book. 10 days later (after going through sheer hell and inconceivable pain) I returned to my onc. He asked how I was doing. I am good, I reported, sitting on the exam table. He smiled and said, Ok, let's see. I lifted my shirt and he circled. He was stunned. You're right! You can get back on the chemo!

Shingles can last months, even years. I had no time to waste. I needed to get on the program to save my life. Dive into the process and know that in the end -- I would survive.

STRONG, BRAVE AND DETERMINED. Even when you don't fully believe you can -- you can. You can do it!

Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #22
sassy

Re: Drug for chemo brain

Thanks everyone for this great thread. The info on supplements is fantastic!

I have found that my chemo brain has improved over the years, however not back to the "normal" of before.

On the subject of lost words, for me it was specifically nouns that I lost, proper nouns even more so--verbs, adverbs and adjectives seemed to stick around.
Left mast .9cm tumor 5 of 14 nodes
Triple Positive
4 DD A/C
12 Taxol/Herceptin
33Rads
Strange infect mast site one year aft surg, hosp 1 wk
Herceptin for total of 18 months
Lupron Monthly 4 yrs
Neurontin for aches, pains and hot flashes(It works!)
Ovaries removed 11/09 stop Lupron and Neurontin
Arimidex 6 yrs (tried Femara, no SE improvement)
Tried Exemestane-hips got so bad could hardly walk
Back to Arimidex for year seven
Zometa 2X Annual for 7years, Lasix
Stop Arimidex 5/13
Stop Zometa 7/13-Bi-lateral Stress Fractures in Femurs from Zometa
5/14 Start Tamoxifen
3/15 Stem cell transplant to stimulate femur bone growth/healing
5/15 Complete fracture of right femur/Titanium rods both femurs
9/16 Start Evista stopTamoxifen
3/17 Stop Evista--unwelcome side effects!
NED and no meds.......
14YEARS NED!
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:58 AM   #23
Cathya

Thank you so much for this wonderful thread. Following treatment I found out I had had a lacunar stroke which only seemed to make my chemo brain worse....I kept thinking...was it chemo brain or stroke causing me to forget so much. I am a little better but still have a terrible memory and my ability to multitask is gone. I am on medication re the stroke but am going to re-read all this information to see where to begin with this natural approach. I would be grateful for any suggestions. So happy to get this info. My best to you all. So happy for you Andi!!

Cathy

Diagnosed Oct. 2004 3 cm ductal, lumpectomy Nov. 2004
Diagnosed Jan. 2005 tumor in supraclavicular node
Stage 3c, Grade 3, ER/PR+, Her2++
4 AC, 4 Taxol, Radiation, Arimidex, Actonel
Herceptin for 9 months until Muga dropped and heart enlarged
Restarting herceptin weekly after 4 months off
Stopped herceptin after four weekly treatments....score dropped to 41
Finished 6 years Arimidex
May 2015 diagnosed with ovarian cancer
Stage 1C
started 6 treatments of carboplatin/taxol
Genetic testing show BRCA1 VUS
Nice! My hair came back really curly. Hope it lasts lol. Well it didn't but I liked it so I'm now a perm lady
29 March 2018 Lung biopsy following chest CT showing tumours in pleura of left lung, waiting for results to the question bc or ovarian
April 20, 2018 BC mets confirmed, ER/PR+ now Her2-
Questions about the possibility of ovarian spread and mets to bones so will be tested and monitored for these.
To begin new drug Palbociclib (Ibrance) along with Letrozole May, 2018.
Genetic testing of ovarian tumour and this new lung met will take months.
To see geneticist to be retested for BRCA this week....still BRCA VUS
CA125 has declined from 359 to 12 as of Aug.23/18

Cathya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #24
Cathya

Rhondalea;

Did you have genetic testing done to discover that you were Val 157Met Met...etc. I don't know what this is but would genetic testing (perhaps with 23andme) be useful in deciding which supplements to take?

Cathy

Diagnosed Oct. 2004 3 cm ductal, lumpectomy Nov. 2004
Diagnosed Jan. 2005 tumor in supraclavicular node
Stage 3c, Grade 3, ER/PR+, Her2++
4 AC, 4 Taxol, Radiation, Arimidex, Actonel
Herceptin for 9 months until Muga dropped and heart enlarged
Restarting herceptin weekly after 4 months off
Stopped herceptin after four weekly treatments....score dropped to 41
Finished 6 years Arimidex
May 2015 diagnosed with ovarian cancer
Stage 1C
started 6 treatments of carboplatin/taxol
Genetic testing show BRCA1 VUS
Nice! My hair came back really curly. Hope it lasts lol. Well it didn't but I liked it so I'm now a perm lady
29 March 2018 Lung biopsy following chest CT showing tumours in pleura of left lung, waiting for results to the question bc or ovarian
April 20, 2018 BC mets confirmed, ER/PR+ now Her2-
Questions about the possibility of ovarian spread and mets to bones so will be tested and monitored for these.
To begin new drug Palbociclib (Ibrance) along with Letrozole May, 2018.
Genetic testing of ovarian tumour and this new lung met will take months.
To see geneticist to be retested for BRCA this week....still BRCA VUS
CA125 has declined from 359 to 12 as of Aug.23/18

Cathya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #25
rhondalea

Hi Cathy,

Yes, I did have genetic testing done. 23andMe used to offer a tempting discount on DNA Day, and I was curious, so I sent away for my test tube. I also had my adult daughter tested, which made the results even more interesting. I believe the current cost is a flat rate is $299.

I do use it to help me choose the supplements I need to compensate for genetic shortfalls, although that wasn't part of my plan when I ordered the kit.

23andMe does offer a certain amount of information about diseases, conditions and traits, but I've found it to be limited. For example, it led me to believe that I have a lower risk of breast cancer than the average woman. You can imagine my surprise when my gynecologist found the lump.

To compensate for 23andMe's reporting deficiency, I use my raw data file with SNPedia's Promethease. I'm also registered on sites like opensnp.org (where I've uploaded my raw data file for public use and viewing), and I spend a lot of time rooting around in obscure gene databases. As it turns out, although I'm BRCA1 and 2 negative, I have other genes to indicate I'm at higher risk.

As to Val158Met, there's a ton of information, including the factoid about modafinil, on SNPedia:

http://snpedia.com/index.php/Rs4680

2/6/09 Core needle biopsy: negative; Mammos through 2010: no change
3/30/11 Pea-sized lump in left breast at site of prior biopsy; mammo negative, sonogram not so much
4/14/11 Core needle biopsy: negative for cancer
5/18/11 Excisional biopsy 1.2 cm tumor, LVI, positive margin; ER+60%,PR+20%,HER2/CEP17 5
6/15/11 BMX: Left DCIS & LH; Right ADH; SNB: 2/3 nodes: 1.4 cm and 1 mm; ALND L1&2: 0/10; Stage IIa, Grade 3
7/14/11 CT/Bone scans NED; MUGA 66%
7/19/11 Biweekly dd AC w/Neulasta; done 8/30/11
9/13/11 Transfusion (Hemoglobin 8.6); MUGA 64%
9/20/11 Start Taxol + Herceptin; Taxol done 12/6/2011; continue Herceptin until 9/4/2012
12/27/11 Radiation - 6 weeks; 2/27/2012 - DONE! Yayyyy!
2/29/12 Start Tamoxifen 20 mg/day; continue until 2/28/17
5/16/12 Start five-years Metformin trial
6/19/12 MUGA 61%
8/21/12 Brain MRI NED (head still hurts, brain still fogged)
9/4/12 Herceptin done!
9/6/12 Port out!
7/11/13 Aricept 5mg for cognitive impairment; increased to 10mg as of 8/23/13; back to 5mg 12/2013
5/2014 Add Namenda 7mg
9/2014 Stop Aricept and Namenda; Neuropsychological evaluation
10/24/14 Start cognitive rehabilitation therapy
rhondalea is offline   Reply With Quote