HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Old 09-25-2007, 10:13 AM   #1
JoyceR

New to HER2 Support group &Xeloda/Tykerb

I am new to this so please be patient if I make errors.

I completed 1 cycle of Xeloda and Tykerb with major abdominal cramps, and severe diarrhea that Imodium A-D didn't even slow down. The skin on my face started to break down (raw & oozing in many places) and I had lots of white heads.

My Oncologist had me take a break to heal my intestinal tract. After 8 days off I am back on treatment now for 4 days with a dosage cut on the Xeloda to 3 and 3 from 3 and 4. I still am taking 5 Tykerb. Today the diarrhea and cramping is starting again.

Has anyone had side effects like these that they have been able to get under control or am I probably looking at another medication change.

JoyceR
JoyceR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:21 PM   #2
hutchibk

Hi Joyce -

please don't jump ship yet... try a few things first to see if you can mitigate the symptoms.

Some women do one week on and one week off of Xeloda, and that seems to be more tolerable.

DIARRHEA
For diarrhea, I steer clear of milk and most dairy. I do eat occasional organic yogurt. I eat the BRAT (banana, rice ~I prefer brown rice~, applesauce, toast) in the morning for breakfast. Every morning if I have to. I have found that I have to stay on a very very very strict clean diet. NO JUNK at all. I drink mostly water, juices and tea. NO soft drinks other than Izze or the ones made with carbonation and pure juice. I eat a 50/50 raw and cooked vegetable diet everyday. Salads, fruit, veggies (steamed, raw, sauteed), whole grains (brown rice, quinoa, oats, etc), whole grain pastas and breads (in other words, no bleached white flour products), natural meats sparingly, occasional cheese, lots of beans, cook with olive oil and I steer clear of sugar as much as possible. The cleaner my diet and the more disciplined I am about it, the less diarrhea I have. I am on my 7th round of T/X and I have only one day per cycle, at the most, of diarrhea these days. If I need Immodium at all, it is only one day out of 21... I know diet is a huge factor based on my experience, as I have gotten lazy a time or two (especially when traveling), and fast food has been my intestinal downfall. When I corrected to my clean diet, all was well again in a few days. If that doesn't help you enough after a week or two, you can look into Bentonite Clay or Carob Powder to help as an absorptive agent in the bowels...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

RASH
As far as rash, here are some of the fixes that can be tried by your doctor...

*Employ a proactive approach in managing skin reactions.
*Suggest that patients use a thick, alcohol-free emollient cream.
*Suggest that patients use a sunscreen of SPF 25 or higher, preferably
containing zinc oxide or titanium dioxide
* If patient presents with rash, verify appropriate administration of drug and proceed with the following therapy algorithm:

Mild Rash:
Minimally located
No impact on activities of daily life (ADL)
No sign of superinfection

(shows picture of mild rash occurrence across bridge of nose and cheeks)

Continue EGFR targeted treatment @current dose and monitor for change in severity.

***Use:
Topical hydrocortisone 1% or 2.5% cream and/or Clindamycin 1% gel

Reassess after 2 weeks, if reaction worsens or does not improve, proceed to next step.

Moderate Rash:
Generalized
Mild Symptoms (e.g. pruritus, tenderness)
Minimal impact on ADL
No sign of superinfection

(shows picture of red worsened rash occurrence (pruritus) across nose, around nostrils, top lip, lower cheeks, and entire chin.)

Continue EGFR targeted treatment @current dose and monitor for change in severity. Continue treatment of the skin reaction with the following:

***Use:
Hydrocortisone 2.5% cream or Clindamycin 1% gel
or Pimecrolimus 1% cream
Plus Doxycycline 100mg BID or Monocycline 100mg BID

Reassess after 2 weeks, if reaction worsens or does not improve, proceed to next step.

Severe Rash:
Generalized
Severe symptoms (e.g. pruritus, tenderness)
Significant impact on ADL
Potential sign of superinfection

(shows picture of worsened rash occurrence similar to moderate with more facial coverage and continuation to shoulders and neck)

Reduce EGFR targeted therapy as per label and monitor for change in severity. Continue treatment of skin reaction with the following:

***Use:
Hydrocortisone 2.5% cream or Clindamycin 1% gel
or Pimecrolimus 1% cream
Plus Doxycycline 100mg BID or Monocycline 100mg BID
Plus Medrol dose pack

Reassess after 2 weeks, if reaction worsens, dose interruption or discontinuation may be necessary.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

HAND/FOOT SYNDROME
To stave off hand foot symtoms, be sure to take your B6 (50mg per meal - total 100-150mg a day). If you have problems, we have a bunch of ladies here with cream suggestions that have helped. Personally, I love Brave Soldier Friction Zone. It is miraculous for the feet!!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

MISCELLANEOUS

Don't take any folic acid while on T/X - it can markedly worsen the side effects. You will find it in your multi vits and B complex, so stay away from those supplements while you are on T/X.

And no grapefruit products at all while on this regimine...

I hope this helps! Don't give up!

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:31 AM   #3
JoyceR

Brenda,
Thanks for your words of encouragement and the info. I have been eating most of the things you suggest but everytime I eat anything else the big "D" comes raging back. I kind of had it in control before my onc took me off for a week but I ate a small cut of tomato soup and wowwie what an awful experience. It took 5 days to get over that off meds.

I read the info about skin several weeks ago but thanks for sharing it with me. I've printed it and am taking it in when I see the Dr. He's done a great job of managing all my side effects on other treatments but he doesn't seem to think that if I just wait it out the diarrhea is going to go away. The things I've done I already knew from treating diarrhea in my daughter when she was little. But it looks like these techniques aren't going to be ways of getting the diarrhea to stop but a permanent way of living. Since he says this will be an "until it doesn't work or you say you won't take it any more" treatment.

Thanks again for your response.

Joyce
Old 09-26-2007, 07:00 AM   #4
Joe
Webmaster

Joyce,
Utilize our search feature on the boards. There has been a lot of discussion about Tykerb side effects the past few months.

Welcome to our group.

Regards
Joe

Illegitimi non carborundum

My Album
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 04:32 PM   #5
Carolyns

Hi Joyce,

I think that some of the others here have cut back on the dosage of Tykerb and then built back up over time. Perhaps they will chime in soon.

Sorry that you are suffering.

Carolyns
Carolyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:46 PM   #6
Esther

Joyce, my side effects from Tykerb were so severe that my onc said the only thing that would relieve it would be taking a break.

I didn't want to do that, so I dropped down to 3 pills a day of Tykerb, and managed better on that dosage. After about 2 months I upgraded back to 5 pills a day and was able to tolerate that dosage with little side effects.

Perhaps you can discuss with your onc if a drop in the dosage is appropriate for you.

The recommended dosage of Xeloda on the Tykerb web site is 2 pills twice a day. Check it out.
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 10:33 AM   #7
JoyceR

Thanks to all of you for the info. My NP called on Wed.. I had been doing the BRAT diet and the diarrhea was improved but I had been on the couch feeling awful for days. So ... I'm off it again. I see my Onc this coming Thurs 10/4 and will take along your comments.

I had been on Navelbine/Herceptin for 13 months every week. My lungs had cleared and my bones had stabalized, one of my liver tumors was smaller, one stable the other 2 had increased in size. That was the reason for my change to Xeloda and Tykerb.

I feel good off treatment - no symptoms and I really want to go to FL in Oct.. So ... even though he has told me I will never get a drug vacation or be off treatment (except when there is a need to change protocols) I think I'm going to tell him I'm going to FL for 4 weeks and we can start treatment again when I come back.

We'll see if I can hold out for that when I get there Thursday.

JoyceR
Old 10-01-2007, 05:49 AM   #8
TerriLynne

BRAT diet?

Hi

I am on day 4 of my first cycle of Xoleda and Tykerb in the UK (LEAP study). I have had some advice from the research team as to side effects and how to deal with them but nothing on the scale of the information and advice here. I thought I had been doing well on the diet front being mostly vegan for four years (occasional laspses mostly to appease others when dining out), vegetarian for six years before that and trying to have organic produce where possible but have seen several references in messages on this site to the BRAT diet - sounds hard work but if it helps with length and quality of life I am prepared to do whatever it takes. Is there more information available via the web or a published article/book that I could track down?

Also I have entered my history - how do I get it to appear on my posts?

Best wishes

Terri
TerriLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:08 PM   #9
hutchibk

Terri - BRAT diet really just stands for Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast. Those things in combination are very absorptive and effective for helping control bouts of diarrhea - when I was having more episodes of diarrhea, I would eat the BRAT diet for breakfast every morning to set the day off right and help absorb excess fluids in the intestinal track. Now I just revert to it if I have an "episode" - and I make sure I mix those things into my diet throughout the week to help keep me regular.

In order for your history to appear under your posts, you need to enter it in the 'signature' option under your control panel.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:39 AM   #10
JoyceR

I say the Oncology on Thursday. I am going to FL 10/13-11/7. I will have abdominal CT and chest x-rays on 11/8 and the see onc again. We will try Xeloda & Tykerb at a lower dose. He wants to try to find a dose my body will tolerate.

10/13- 11/7 I don't have cancer and will have lots of fun on the beach!

Thanks to everyone for the information!

JoyceR
Radiology - 28 treatments
NSD - 4/04 - 6/06
DX: 8/22/06 tumor, nodules and pneumonia right lung
nodules, pneumonia left lung
cancer in a bones visible in chest CT
4 tumors in liver
8/06 - 8/07 - Navelbine & Herceptin every week, Neupogen and Aranesp as needed, Zometa 1 time per month
8/07 - 2 of 4 liver tumors increase in size, lungs clear, bones stable
8/07 - Xeloda & Tykerb
Old 10-06-2007, 05:47 PM   #11
Susan2

When I started Tykerb and Xeloda, I had the similar symptoms. It was so bad that I became dehydrated. I took a 2 week vacation from all meds and then restarted with just Tykerb. It's been 2 months and everything's good. No diarrhea and scans are good.

Have a marvelous vacation and soak up the sun - just remember your hat and sunscreen.
Susan2 is offline   Reply With Quote