HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-05-2007, 09:11 PM   #1
MCS

Question Removal of port, please provide information

Ladies,

Please let me know your input on removing port.

The onc says remove it since my herceptin treatment is done. Also there could be an infection. My nurse says to leave it in for a year.

I'm at crossroads with this. I think that ports last a long time, if you flush it every 3-4 weeks. I'm also scared of needing it again soon- I know this is negative thinking!

On the other hand going to the chemo lounge and getting it flush so often is hard. I live far from the site. I would also use it every three months to get checked so my veins would last a little longer.

I know that some of you have had it removed. did you have to think twice about doing this?

I thought that I could leave it in for a year and then take it out.

Or I was going to take it out at the same time as I place the implant so I avoid surgery a second time.

Please let me know your insights, I do value your thoughts.

XOXO

MCS ( maria)
MCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 03:45 AM   #2
Mary Anne in TX

Hi Maria!

I have the same question! I finish herceptin the end of June and have the same decision to make. Isn't it wonderful to have that decision to make? ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 06:20 AM   #3
janet11

I've already made that decision for me, so thought I'd share what it is. I don't finish Herceptin until September, but I plan to get it removed after my last Herceptin.

It's a way for me to feel THROUGH with treatment (a good thing (*smile*)). If I need it again, well, I'll have another put in. But I'm not expecting to need it again. I plan to live my life as if bc will never recur. If it does, I'll handle that then.

Now....I may change my mind if I have to get frequent follow-up blood tests from my onc office (since that's the only place that can USE the port). But I don't think follow-ups will be that frequent for me, so doubt if this will be an issues.

Good luck with your decision too.

Dx July 2006 IDC 1.8cm, ER-/PR- HER2+ (FISH 7), KI67 High (60%) grade 3, TOPO II neg
Aug2006: lumpectomy, SNB (4 nodes neg), Stage 1
Jan 2007:
Finished 6 cycles of TCH (Taxotere, Carboplatin, Her ceptin). Then Herceptin every 3 weeks.
Feb 2007: Completed Radiation
May 2007: Stopped Herceptin due to low LVEF (49%)
July 2007: LVEF now 44% -- starting Coreg
May 2008: Heart NORMAL! Yippee.
janet11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:17 AM   #4
Soccermom

Hi Maria,
Not to muddy the waters,but...
I finished AC/Taxol and 1 yr Herceptin in July '06. My Onc strongly advised me to keep my port for at least one more year. I am so used to it now that I rarely think about it and in 2 + years have never had a problem (knock on wood!).

Warmly,Marcia
Soccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:18 AM   #5
Soccermom

Forgot to add...since I had nodes removed on both sides its probably prudent for me to continue using the port for blood draws, scans etc.

Marcia
Soccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 05:59 PM   #6
MCS

It is good to be in this position. I do have a few nodes removed and the surgeon okd blood draws from either arm ok.

I just love my port. It's so wonderful to sit there with just a cream and nothing hurts. I have these veins that move around so they are hard to pick

I don't know. Thank you for your votes on the matter.

XOXOX

MCS ( maria)
MCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 06:35 PM   #7
Yorkiegirl

I still have my port. I had it put in April 2005, right after MRM.

I finished my last Herceptin this August 28, 2006.

I have no plans on having it removed UNLESS it gives me a problem. It is my security blanket. I have it flushed every 6 weeks.
MRM 4-5-05 w/ 2 tumor's 5cm, and 6 cm (right side)
IDC (poorly differentiated infiltrating ductual carcinoma)
5+/16 nodes
Stage III A
Grade 3
ER/PR-, Her2/neu ++
Ki67 78%
Begin Chemo 5-2-05 4XAC Dose Dense , 4X Abraxane Dose Dense (ended August 05)
28 Rad's ended October 13 2005
Started Herceptin Weekly August 2005 for one year
Had a Simple mastectomy left side after Mamo showed incresed micro-calcifications. Jan. 17 2006.
Brain MRI Feb.2006--All Clear
August 28, 2006 Last Weekly Herceptin.
October 2006--Colonoscopy, 6 Polyp's removed--all B9
PET Scan July 2007
Abdominal MRI Oct. 2007---2 Right Kidney Cysts
Core Biopsy-- Lump on Scar Line 1-10-08---B9
Brain MRI 6-2008--All Clear
PET/CT Scan 6-2008
Sept. 8 2008, 4CM area removed from mastectomy scar line. Proved to be B9.
PET/CT Scan-- July 2009 --All clear
August 17,2009 ---Had Port Removed
6 Years NED -- April 5,2011
DX'd with Melanoma left arm 10-10-2011
Yorkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:29 PM   #8
Marie G

Smile Reply to port removal

My husband has stage IV HER2+ BC and his last treatment will be 4/12/07. He plans on leaving it in until the Herceptin is finished and a little beyond. I think it matters what stage you are in, how you responded to treatment and your chance of reoccurence. Keeping a positive attitude helps, but he was so ill that leaving it in a little while longer until he gains more confidence is our reality. Great work and keep us posted on your recovery>>lol>>SMILE>>Waiting For A Miracle>>Marie G
Marie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:41 PM   #9
Kimberly Lewis

Smile Had my port in then out then in again....

HI- just wanted to voice my experience - My port got a bad infection while I was in Hercepting treatment - had it pulled, healed and then had a new one placed during an LAVH procedure. I am keeping mine as a safeguard, I don't like having that hard place in my chest but I like less being cut open again so soon darn it! I will keep it for a year and then see how I feel. Go with your what makes you comfortable - the insertion isn't that big a deal if it is done at a good hospital. When they put my second one in they cleaned up quite a bit of scar tissue from the first. Have a good Easter!

Diagnosed 7/05
Stage 3a er+(45%) pr+(68%) Her2+ (40%)
3.8 cm + .8cm multi focal - pleomorphic lobular tumors
high grade DCIS
7/20 nodes

BRCA 2
positive as of 5/07
surgeries: double mastectomy, hysterectomy (LAVH)
A/C,Herceptin for 1 year completed 11/06
femara

Kimberly Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:23 PM   #10
Bev

Hi Maria,

Had mine out end of Feb, 3 months after completing H. The Onc thought it odd that I waited that long. My skin is still hard and raised where the cath and port were. Guess it will take awhile. I was never all that fond of my port because I don't have experience of doing chemo without port.

You could also not get it flushed and have it removed with implant surgery. I guess if you don't keep up with flushing schedule it becomes unusable after 2 months. Should you need it 6 months from now, they can pull the old and put in the new. If you don't need the port it can just sit there dormant without flushing until you do implant surgery. BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 10:49 PM   #11
bonnie

I had mine removed one week after my last Herceptin treatment. The onc told me before that I could have it removed, I was done, and yet when I saw the nurse practitioner, she acted shocked I was going to take it out so quickly. It was a little disconcerting to see her reaction but I wanted to remove it as soon as possible. I just thought if I had to start chemo over again, then I'd have another port put in. It was great to have it when I needed it but it was time for it to go. It was January 2005 that it was removed and to this point I remain NED.

Bonnie
bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 03:46 PM   #12
atdec05

Hi Bev,

My understanding was that flushing the port prevented blood clots. You either have to flush it every 2 months or remove it. You can't just leave it dormant.

- Anna

Stage I - DX 9/2005
ER/PR-, HER2+, grade 3, DCIS, IDC multi-focal (1.05cm)
DD 4 A/C finished Jan 31, 2006
Herceptin weekly finished Jan 31, 2007
recurrence to chest wall on last month of Herceptin
Stage 3B - 3/15/07 - 2 carcinomas in dermal lymphatic
Rads finished 6/5/07
12x TH finished 9/10/07
12/07 - Clear scan!
3/08 - 4 month Melatonin trial
1/09 - osteoperosis -
start Alendronate
2/09 - 4-month Simivastin trial
3/13 - take drug holiday after 5 years of Alendronate
atdec05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:51 PM   #13
AlaskaAngel

Hi All,

I'm stage I, no Herceptin, diagnosed in 2002 before it was commonly available. I kept my port, although admittedly if I lived in a warmer climate where I would be wearing the clothes more often that usually expose it I might not.

HER2's and triple negatives have more reason to need one.

Just FYI, I get my port flushed every 4 months at the same time I have blood draws as part of the Early Detection for Ovarian Cancer trial and the Early Detection for Breast Cancer trial. It has never, ever been a problem.

Also, don't assume that keeping port means it can be used for general lab draws. A lab draw and flush is spendier for one thing than a draw from the veins, so your insurance may not continue to pay for the port draw -- but also, the folks drawing general labs often are not trained or qualified for port draws so you may end up disappointed and having a draw from the vein instead.

Alaska Angel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:01 PM   #14
mts

Hi MCS,

I had my port removed 6 months after completing H. I figured to be done with it. If I should ever need a new one, Oh Well - I will cross that bridge if I need to.
When the surgeon removed it, it was a relief! Although my port served me well, I was glad to get rid of it. Perhaps you may want to reconsider removing it if you are going to see your onc every 3 months for the blood draws... Wait till you get to the every six month check-ups, and then get it out. It kind of does provide a "security blanket" feeling. And it is more practical to leave it in indefinately... There must be a place nearer to you for flushing- it's just flushing and practically any onc office can do it. Save the 3rd month for your reg onc...

Take good care,

MTS (the other Maria)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:56 PM   #15
LAURIE

I want to get mine removed as soon as possible. ( I finish Herceptin in Dec.) I have had blod clots twice already, and if I will need it again I am sure there will be a super port that is even better than what I have now. The nurses don't like my port either, it's seems to lay on it's side to much and is inplanted really deep. After I got my port I asked me surgeon about riding roller coasters and hand gliding with it, he said go ahead and try it, but I don't know if I would feel that comfortable with a harness with all that force hitting my port area. I still might ride this summer with this port in. I don't now if I can go a whole summer with no Cedar Point thrill ride.

Laurie
Diagonsed 8/10/06 (found own lump)at 35
Her 2 +++, er-/pr-
4 A/C 8-29-06 to 11-06
Lumpectomy, node dissection- 11/30/06
Pathology report stage IIIC
1 tumor 3 cm
10 of 15 nodes +
12 Taxol 12/18/06-03/06/07
Herceptin 12/18/06- 12/11/2007 done!!! yeah!!!
33 rads started 3/22/07, done!! yeah!! 5/07/07
Lymphedema diagonsed 2/1/07
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
port out 1/10/08
pregnant after 6 yeas of trying- due mid feb.
Ryder David Kessel Hunter born feb.6th 2009

LAURIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:35 PM   #16
theresaw

I just finished with my Herceptin today and I am having my port removed on Thursday. I just feel having it removed makes things complete, now I can start living pre bc. That's just my thought.
theresaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:21 PM   #17
Chelee

I saw my onc for the 1st time since my last herceptin and she said my yr of herceptin is up. To set-up a date right away & have my port pulled. (Wow..lets waste no time!) But I think my onc & surgeon were kind of in a hurry for me to pull mine because of the enlarged lymph nodes in that left axilla where the port runs through there. (Process of elimation to see if that is the cause of the pain I've had under my arm and those enlarged nodes.) I've complained of constant pain in axilla.

I felt a bit un-comfortable being told to have it pulled ASAP. I wasn't ready for that. Many keep theirs for a while just in case. But she wants mine out now and said there is no reason to keep it. So I guess I will be getting mine out right away rather I want to or not. I just assumed until I got to the 2 yr mark they might want to keep it in especially with my bc history. Positive nodes & all...obviously not. I have NO veins at all to use lab work or anything...so this will be interesting. (It would be nice if the pain in my axilla left though.)

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 07:09 PM   #18
Lori

I just had my port removed. I had my last Herceptin treatment in May '06. My surgeon told me I needed to wait one year after Herceptin. I was really bad about getting it flushed. I had it done every 4 to 5 months, but I never had a problem.
3/05 Chemo Ad/Cytox
6/05 Weekly Taxol/Herceptin
Continued Herceptin for 1yr
9/05 33 rads
5/06 Hyst. and bilat oph. due to susp. cyst on ovary
Tamox then Arimidex now Femara
NED scans every 6 months
Lori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 12:53 PM   #19
AlexisSL

Question re Port

Does everyone who gets Herceptin get a port?
AlexisSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 01:03 PM   #20
janet11

Probably not. But considering that how many times you would get stuck for an IV during a year of Herceptin treatment, I think you can see why it's desirable for most of us.

Dx July 2006 IDC 1.8cm, ER-/PR- HER2+ (FISH 7), KI67 High (60%) grade 3, TOPO II neg
Aug2006: lumpectomy, SNB (4 nodes neg), Stage 1
Jan 2007:
Finished 6 cycles of TCH (Taxotere, Carboplatin, Her ceptin). Then Herceptin every 3 weeks.
Feb 2007: Completed Radiation
May 2007: Stopped Herceptin due to low LVEF (49%)
July 2007: LVEF now 44% -- starting Coreg
May 2008: Heart NORMAL! Yippee.
janet11 is offline   Reply With Quote