HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-03-2011, 11:36 AM   #1
twosenuf99

In the hospital and need advice

I am hoping someone can help me.

I saw my Plastic Surgeon last Thursday and she noticed I was beginning an infection in the area of my incision on the non-affected side. She put me on Bactrim until I saw her a week later.

Unfortunately over the weekend things got worse the infection spread across my chest and fevers were running wild. Called the doctor Monday but she was in surgery all day so she asked me to come in on Tuesday morning. Went to the appointment and ended up in the hospital with a PICC line in and am now on Vacomycin. They ran blood work and found there is not enough antibiotic in my system so they have upped the meds. Already was informed I am going home with the PICC line and antibiotics.

My question is the doctor may take the expander out tomorrow morning "wash" it and return it to my chest or just remove it altogether since my infection is no better no worse since I was admitted. Has anyone had this procedure done???? Obviously I know if she takes it out and leaves it out I can not have it put back in until I am all done treatment which will not be until 2013. I am not sure I want to jump to surgery since they realized I have not been getting the proper dose of meds. Is it wise to ask the doctor to hold off on the surgery to give the meds a little longer to work at the new dose or just do it and be done. Obviously I do not want to jeopardize my life with an infection and she said since the implant is a foreign body it may not allow my body to heal but I hate the thought of more unplanned surgery. I was originally supposed to have my port replaced tomorrow and start my next round of chemo next Monday but that is now all put on hold which gives the cancer a chance to come back while I am fighting this infection..

Someone please throw me some advice. I am just not sure what to do..

Thank you very much
Tracy
Diagnosed right Invasive Ductal Breast Cancer which spread to my lymph node 5-13-2011.
Between Stage 2 and 3 with tumors grade III. ER/PR- but Her2neu+++
PET Scan clear
Breast MRI showed 2 masses in left, 5 in the right and 2 in the lymph node.
Biopsy of left mass benign
Joined clinical trial which required second biopsy of one of the right masses
Port placed May 27, 2011
Began Chemo (Taxol, Herceptin and Tykerb) on June 1, 2011 - September 12, 2011
Bi-lateral Mastectomy with reconstruction (expanders) October 3, 2011
FEC 12 weeks
Radiation 6 weeks
Herceptin 8 months finish September 2012
Exchange surgery August 3, 2012
Been NED since October 2011
Lymphedema right arm since Nov 2013
twosenuf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
CoolBreeze

Re: In the hospital and need advice

I'm so sorry to hear this is happening to you. It is not uncommon though, I've heard of it happening to a number of woman.

I do think it's appropriate for you to ask for anything you want from a doctor. Then they give you their medical opinion and you go from there to make your decision. I know women who have had to have their expander taken out for a few months to let their body heal and the infection clear up - that is quite distressing, I am sure. I'm not sure why you think you would have to wait until 2013 - it's a good question to ask your doctor. To my knowledge, as soon as chemo is done you can have surgery, I had surgery on herceptin - several times. But, you should err on the side of what your body needs to heal.

Good luck to you - let us know what happens.

08/17/09 Dx'd.
Multifocal/multicentric IDC, largest 3.4 cm, associated ADH, LCIS, DCIS
HER2+ ER+/PR- Grade 3, Node Negative

10/20/2009: Right mastectomy, reconstruction with TE
12/02/2009: Six rounds TCH, switched to Taxol halfway through due to neuropathy
03/31/2010: Finished chemo
05/01/2010: Began tamoxifen, the worst drug ever
11/18/2010: Reconstruction completed
12/02/2010: Finished herceptin
05/21/2011: Liver Mets. Quit Tamoxifen
06/22/2011: Navelbine/Zometa/Herceptin
10/03/2011: Liver Resection, left lobe. Microwave ablation, right lobe - going for cure!
11/26/2011: C-Diff Superbug Infection, "worst case doctor had seen in 20 years"
03/28/2012: Progression in ablated section of the liver - no more cure. Started Abraxane, continue herceptin/zometa
10/10/2012: Progression continues, started Halaven, along with herceptin and zometa.
01/15/2013: Progression continues, started Gemzar and Perjeta, an unusual combo, continuing with herceptin and zometa
03/13/2013: Quit Gemzar, body just won't handle it. Staying on herceptin, zometa and perjeta.
04/03/2013: CT shows 50% regression in tumor, so am starting back on Gemzar with dose reduction, staying with perjeta/herceptin/zometa. Can't argue with success!
05/09/2013: Discussing SBRT with Radiology due to inability of bone marrow to recover from chemo.
06/07/2013: Fiducial placement for SBRT
07/03/2013: Chemo discontinued, on Perjeta, Herceptin and Zometa alone
07/25/2013: SBRT (gamma knife) begins
08/01/2013: SBRT completed
08/15/2013: STABLE! continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
06/18/2014: ***** NED!!!!***** continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
01/29/2014: Still NED. continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin. Zometa lowered to every 3 months instead of monthly.
11/08/2015: Progression throughout abdomen and lungs. Started TDM-1, aka Kadcyla. Other meds discontinued. Remission was nice while it lasted.

5/27/18: Stable. Kadcyla put me right back in the barn. I have two teeny spots on my lungs that are metabolically inactive, and liver is clean.

I’m beating this MFer. I was 51 when this started and had two kids, 22 and 12. Now I’m 60. My oldest got married and trying to start s family. My youngesg graduates from Caltech this June. My stepdaughter gave me grandkids. Life is fantastic.
CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
snolan

I developed an infection the day after they pulled the drains out on my L (involved side) My PS recommended that we take the expander out which would mean that I could not put it back in since I was going to have radiation. I wanted to try to save it and tried 3 bouts of antibiotics and was in his office 2-3xwk getting fluid drained out to no avail. My skin started to breakdown, this was during my chemo so I'm sure my body was not able to fight the infection. When he pulled the expander out he said I had a seroma under the expander which was feeding all the fluid build-up. It was very hard emotionally for me, I really did not want to have the other reconstructive surgery with a muscle transplant. But the fact that my skin was starting to breakdown I could no longer put my health at risk.
I have come to terms with the fact that I now have to have the muscle transplant surgery (going to do the latissimus flap) I have been without anything on the L since last October. It has been a long wait but I think in the long run I am healthy and am looking forward to surgery in Dec.
I figure if this is the worst I have to worry about ie delaying surgery, I'll take that to any alternatives we as cancer patients could be facing. Hope this helps and hope your infection clears up soon.
Suzanne
Tamox.
25 radiation tx
Removal of expander on L due to infection. Tried to save it had 3 bouts of antibiotics and went to see plastic surgeon 2-3x wk to get drained. Saving it was my idea not his. But lost it anyway.
Reconstruction set for December 21st,2011
Finished chemo 12/2010
Finished Herceptin 8/26/11
Reconstruction 12/21/11
Expanders exchanged for silicon 3/19/12
Nipple reconstruction 5/18/12
Nipple tatooing- 7/9/12- All done yay!
11/22/12-Went back to get scar tissue stretched to even the outside of breast, didn't work due to it being radiated skin.
snolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
StephN

First of all I am surprised your doctor did not send you to emergency if you let her know you had high fever and spreading infection! These days infections are nothing to LET GO even for another day.

If you have been on a hard chemo your body is much less able to fight infection let alone a form of "superbug."

Now you are in a more serious position, and it might be useful to know exactly which kind of infection you have. Some are VERY difficult to be fully rid of. Especially if they want to leave in the PICC line, it seems they may expect you to come back.

These are the kinds of questions I would want answered before moving on to the expander question. We have had a few women post here over the years that infection developed and it seems most of them had to leave it out for a while.

Sorry to hear you have this setback.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:31 PM   #5
Vicky

I'm so sorry to hear Tracy- what an ordeal to go through! I'm sending lots of healing vibes your way!

I don't know if this will help or not as my situation is a little different. I had a mastectomy in August, while still on chemo. (I will more than likely always be on some kind of chemo and initially surgery was not recommended.) But my tumor was coming through my skin so it had to come out. While I have not had infection, I have had a really hard time in keeping my incision closed and having the tissue underneath heal completely. I just went to my surgeon again today and was referred to a wound clinic for ongoing care. I've had two surgeries to clean out the wound, re-stitch it, and yet it reopens. My immune system is just too compromised from chemo apparently.

My doctor also said this is exactly why he hesitated when I asked about reconstruction... he too talked about the implant as a "foreign body" and said it may have made my situation all that more difficult to deal with. But he always left the final decision with me.

Its a really personal decision and I just wish you well no matter what you decide!
6-14-11 CT scan after 3 cycles shows NO liver spots, reduced spinal met from 18mm to 13mm and right breast mass from 4.4 to 4.2 cm.
8-12-11 Mastectomy rt. breast.
10-11 scans reflect stable cancer
12-11 MRI reveals area of concern in brain, CT scan reveals 3mm spot on lung. Watch and wait and rescan in a few weeks. Round 13 TDM1 complete.
2-21-12 Scans reveal progression in lungs with 4 new small mets. Officially off tdm1. Start halaven and radiation for single brain met, 1 spot in spine.
3-13 stereotactic radiosurgery for single brain met.
5-31-12 Halaven stopped due to low blood counts. Start tamoxifen and cont. Herceptin 1x3 weeks.
7-11-12- brain mri shows shrinking brain met and no new lesions. Cont. Herceptin and Tamoxifen
10-2-12 Stable tumor markers. Continue Herceptin and Tamoxifen
4-9-13 progression in lymph node under arm and new lung spots. Stop Tamoxifen. Add Xeloda to Herceptin.
6-10-13 Stereotactic radiosurgery to two new brain mets. Stop Xeloda due to lung mets progression. begin Tykerb 7-2-13.
10-29-13 Begin radiation to my lungs and one lymph node under my arm. Stop Tykerb until completion and then recommence.
1-31-14 Progression in lungs. Oophorectomy performed.
2-18-14 Begin Arimidex and continue Herceptin
7-7-15 progression with spots on colon, in pelvic region, and in lungs. Begin Taxotere, Perjeta and Herceptin.
11-15 Switch to weekly Taxol, and continue with Perjeta and Herceptin.
12-23-16 PET scan shows Complete Response with no new spots. Continue on with TPH indefinitely.
3-16-16 Still no evidence of disease, break from Taxol. Continue on with Perjeta and Herceptin.
Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:40 PM   #6
twosenuf99

Coolbreeze

Thanks for the help. I only thought I could not put the expander back in since I have 3 months of FEC coming up and then 6 weeks of radiation and then I will be on Herceptin for a year.

I saw the doctor tonight and she has me on the schedule for tomorrow for 1pm but said she will be back in the morning to make a final decision. Yes my biggest problem is this is a setback to treatment but I am also thinking she is cutting into the same incision that is already infected to me that doesn't make much sense but she knows what she is doing.

Again thanks for the response.

Tracy
Diagnosed right Invasive Ductal Breast Cancer which spread to my lymph node 5-13-2011.
PET Scan clear
Port placed May 27, 2011
FEC 12 weeks
Radiation 6 weeks
Old 11-03-2011, 06:58 PM   #7
twosenuf99

Suzanne

Wow I am sorry you had such a hard time with recovery. Sounds like you think the way I do- give it your all or nothing. I am however glad you are feeling better about the path you are on now. I know I will basically do whatever the doctor feels appropriate tomorrow. Thanks for the message and my thoughts are with you as you continue your journey.

Tracy
PET Scan clear
Port placed May 27, 2011
FEC 12 weeks
Radiation 6 weeks
Old 11-03-2011, 08:20 PM   #8
Pray

Hi Tracy,

I am so sorry you have to go through all of this. The only thing I can ad is my ps said they will only use an incision twice because they have to take away some of the skin all around the old incision to get a straight angle. Rarely do they do a third because they risk making an uneven form. I hope this helps. Gods blessings to you. I pray all goes well for you. Please know that you are in my prayers.

Your Friend,

Nancy
Her2 +3
4/12 nodes
6 rounds TCH
Herceptin 12 months 3weeks
Rad. 30 tx
Tamoxifin 6 months stopped
Arimedex stopped 9/12 (side effects)
Aromasin 10/12
Pray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:25 PM   #9
candlegranny

i am ready for reconstruction surgery. I lost my left breast Jan 29, 2010. I healed really well after the radiaton, that took 6 months to heal. I have to find a PS to go see. I think I will call my surgeon and ask him avout a referral to a PS. My surgeon is a breast care surgeon onlyl I know he takes them off..dont know if he does the reconstruction or now. I am ready for a boob. I want to wear tank tops and not worry about my fake one peepng out. Am I bad for that. but wait when i get the new one i want the old one modified to be like the new one... uplifted rounded out.. did anyone else ever do that?
2.7 cm 18/31 nodes
mets to just above collar bone ( 2 nodes showed in PET)
ER- PR - / Her2 +++ (IHC) Stage 111 C
ki-67 60% nottingham score 7
A/C chemo mar 22,2010 DD
herceptin & taxotere DD june 1,2010
finished taxotere july 12, 2010
finished herceptin 16 May 2011
PET Scan 9 Aug 10, cancer in neck is gone! NED
33 Rads completed 1 Oct 2010
PET/CT Scan 6 Jan 2011 NED
PET/CT Scan 3 Aug 2011
MUGA 59% 3/22/10 -63% 9/23/10 - 51% 1/4/11 - 55% 2/17/11 - 50% 8/3/11
26 Aug 2011 NED
20 Feb 2012 NED
5 Mar 2012 PORT OUT
12 July 2012 DIEP breast reconstruction
23 Aug 2012 NED
15 Nov 2012 new breast tweeked and natural breast uplifted and implant added
17 Feb 2013 NED
27 mar 2013 lipo suction to add fat cells to new breast in hopes for needed adjustment.

"Don't spend your time worrying about when or how you are going to die, spend your time figuring out how you are going to live today". ~Elizabeth Edwards.
candlegranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:00 PM   #10
Rich66

I know very little about reconstruction issues. But my Father had many infections. When possible, a tissue sample might be able to determine what bacteria is involved and what antibiotic it is killed by. Vanco is near the top of the antibiotic chain..but there are others in the same league like Daptomycin and Tigecylcline. Make certain blood tests are negative, i.e. NOT septic. If things are not resolving quickly, be sure an "infectious disease" specialist is onboard. Most hopitals have a few. If they haven't checked the bloodstream for infection, request it.
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:28 PM   #11
twosenuf99

Thanks Nancy, Candlegranny and Rich66,

I actually escaped the hospital last Friday in time for my kids 12th birthday weekend. They did confirm the infection is Cellulitis. Came home with the PICC Line and Vanco 1250 MG for 14 days. Saw the PS today and she is still hoping to save the expander but I saw the Onc today and she says she doesn't think it can be saved. We will see what happens. Still in alot of pain but dealing with it. Onc is pushing to start chemo again next Friday and she is pushing to replace the PICC Line with another port but I basically informed her today no surgery to replace the port until after the first of the year. Since we are starting chemo ASAP I want a break from the rest because mentally I am so ready to walk away and say no more treatment what so ever. Anyway enough of my griping.. Thanks for the advice, well wishes and good thoughts.. Always thinking about my new found friends here and what part of their journey they are on.
PET Scan clear
Port placed May 27, 2011
FEC 12 weeks
Radiation 6 weeks
Old 11-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #12
patz64

To Suzanne,

Had you considered a DIEP flap? They don't cut your muscles for that, but it is a very long surgery, because they do microsurgery to transplant fat and skin from your abdomen (but they leave the muscle alone, unlike a TRAM flap where they take the abdominal muscle). Also, I was told that with the latissimus dorsi flap, they often need to use an implant along with the flap because they don't get enough volume with just the muscle from the back.
I live in NJ, and flew all the way to San Antonio to have my DIEP flap done. Unfortunately I had complications, where the flap started to fail and they had to rush me in for emergency surgery, and then I had complications with my lungs. But I am happy with the results, and was very happy with the doctor. I did not want to have any muscles cut, and we never even tried an implant because I had a lot of damage from radiation that i had 4 years prior.
I just want to make sure you are aware of all your options.
Good luck with the surgery, and keep us posted!
Pat
5/2011-stereotactic biopsy: stage 0 carcinoma L. breast again, estrogen/progesterone negative. Nobody used the words Her2+ yet.
8/18/2011-travelled to Texas (I live in NJ) for bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction with DIEP flap. 3 days later, left breast turned blue...had emergency surgery to unclog vessel and try to save the flap. 24 hours after that, had another emergency surgery... took a vein from my left arm and re-routed it to the breast. Saved the breast flap but went into congestive heart failure because of all the IV fluids. Spent 10 days in ICU...8 days on a ventilator. Traumatic experience!!! Then was told it was actually Stage 2, Her2+, and I would need chemo.
Now back in NJ.
10/11/11-port was placed
chemo starting in about 2 weeks
patz64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:48 AM   #13
jra40

I'm so sorry to read your post and the struggles you are facing. I have no advice but just wanted to let you know that you are in my prayers

Jessica
3/15/11 - Began weekly Taxol/Herceptin infusions along with 750mg of Tykerb taken by mouth daily
6/28/11 - Finished last cycle of Taxol
7/27/11 - Breast MRI shows tumor has dissolved, remarkable reaction to chemo
8/31/11 - Lumpectomy, Sentinel Node biopsy. Node negative, clear margins, 7mm of cancer left over from chemo.
10/05/11 - Started radiation, 5 days a week for 7 weeks.
11/8/11 - Finished radiation
3/21/12 - Last Herceptin!
3/26/12 - Port removed!
Tamoxifen for 5 years
8/4/15 - Hysterectomy & bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy. Due to large fibroids. No cancer!
8/8/15 - Started Arimidex
jra40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:13 AM   #14
snolan

PS told me I don't have enough fat around my belly to do the DIEP (I disagree , plus he doesn't do that surgery nor does anyone in town I would have to travel to Houston, I'm from El Paso. Don't want to travel and the recovery time is quicker. I work in the health care field and need a quicker recovery so I can get back to work. I do struggle with the fact that I am going to have a weaker L arm as I am very athletic but I am also very determined and will work that L side out to get my strength back as close as I can.
Tamox.
25 radiation tx
Removal of expander on L due to infection. Tried to save it had 3 bouts of antibiotics and went to see plastic surgeon 2-3x wk to get drained. Saving it was my idea not his. But lost it anyway.
Reconstruction set for December 21st,2011
Finished chemo 12/2010
Finished Herceptin 8/26/11
Reconstruction 12/21/11
Expanders exchanged for silicon 3/19/12
Nipple reconstruction 5/18/12
Nipple tatooing- 7/9/12- All done yay!
11/22/12-Went back to get scar tissue stretched to even the outside of breast, didn't work due to it being radiated skin.
snolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:17 AM   #15
Soccermom

Snolan,
Don't want to be pushy BUT the Center for Resorative Breast Surgery has done thousands (literally) of Dieps and SGaps on women who were told "no way" by other Surgeons.
At the very least contact them and send photos and u might be pleasantly surprised,
Best wishes for swift healing and a successful recon!
Marcia
(www.breastcenter.com) also known as the NOLA Docs!
PM me if u would like to chat. I was a bilateral delayed stacked DIEP who no one else could reconstruct (2 breasts)
Soccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:00 AM   #16
Jaimieh

I had something similiar and I am sorry to say that I lost my implants but I went with NOLA and had flap reconstruction surgery. They will not do the surgery while you are having chemo (I believe) BUT they will do it while you are just on herceptin. I had 2 surgeries while I was just on herceptin. I was told locally that I didn't have enough fat and NOLA proved them wrong. Sorry that you are going thru all of this.
no angiolympathic invasion

Bi-Lat. Mast. 1/8/09
Exchange scheduled for 6/17/09
Lost implants due to unknown reason :(

Hip Flap 1/26/2010 in NOLA :) LOVE EM'

TCH x6 (6 done and I am hoping to never do it again )

Well so much for never...
Local recurrence May 25,2014 is left over breast tissue.
April 2 , 2014 lumpectomy
April 28, 2014- June 9, 2014 start AC x 4
Taxol x12
Perjeta x 6
Herceptin x 18
And 33 rads just for fun. NOT!!!
Jaimieh is offline   Reply With Quote