HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-07-2011, 08:27 AM   #1
KG1993

constipation then diahrrea.......give up

Was at mom's last night. (she has stage 4 bc) Had her 5th double chemo a week ago. She is really, really down in the dumps from the way she has felt since round 4.

Time line this chemo treatment:
Chemo on tuesday (number 5)
Had to have nurse remove impacted feces on Saturday (sorry for discrip)
Sunday-diahrrea still has it on Tuesday

Her guts are just so out of whack. She said last night she wakes up everyday wanting to just have one good day.

She also told me she can't believe how bad she feels and it seems to her other people who have had chemo do not feel as bad. She told me last night she will not live like this for the rest of her life, it is "no life". She said she j ust needs a good day every once in awhile.

She is not working, no way she could. Mom is 61 soon to be 62 and was diagnosed Aug 2011.

Any advice from anyone who has had similar symptoms or my stage 4 sisters would be helpful.

Thanks
KG
KG1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:39 AM   #2
PinkGirl

Re: constipation then diahrrea.......give up

Hi KG
First off, your mom shouldn't be comparing herself to anyone else.
Everyone handles chemo differently. Don't let her beat herself up
because someone else didn't have all of her problems.

The constipation can be wicked. I know that someone, I think it might have been Flori, suggested taking metamucil every day ... even with the Big D.
Did you get any advice from her nurse regarding the bowel issues ... I used Senekote S with tons of water and it worked for me.

Keep the faith. The treatments get harder to take as they accumulate.
How many will she be having?

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #3
ElaineM

Wink Re: constipation then diahrrea.......give up

Pink Girl is right. We should not compare ourselves with what other patients are experiencing. Ten people on the same drug can all have different side effects.
First of all you can look up the drugs she is taking and see if constipation and/or diarrhea are possible side effects.
The next step might be to report the problems to the doctor and ask the doctor or the chemo nurse what to do about the problems. Doctors and nurses often have suggestions or can prescribe antidotes for the most common side effects of chemo.
The combination of what your mom is eating or drinking and her chemo could be causing some of the problems.
Perhaps a nutritionist or a dietician can make suggestions about what to eat or not eat to relieve some of her symptoms.
If she doesn't want to do any of those things she might be able to ask a pharmacist for suggestions for the constipation and/or diarrhea.
Is there a support group nearby she might be able to participate in? Talking to other patients in the same boat might help. Often patients can offer each other support and tips for daily living.
Cancer treatment isn't fun, but it can be quite tolerable with a little planning and help from your mom's medical staff. A positive kick butt proactive attitude helps.
Good health to your mom.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #4
mollecat

I had double dose chemo too, Adriamycin and another one (can't remember the name right now). I was constipated too and went to the doc to make sure rectal bleeding was related to that only (didn't need any more problems that's for sure). Doc told me to take stool softeners two nights before the chemo treatment and then afterwards until stool became softer. Also, drink ALOT of water. I mean ALOT. I still do this (I'm still in treatment). Take water to the treatment w/ you and drink it. Also chamomile tea helped too. I hope this helps you - I completely understand what you're going through. Don't give up, take it day by day, that's what I'm trying to do too!
mollecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:07 PM   #5
Laurel

I recommend a high quality probiotic powder that is refrigerated. No pills, powder. Any health food store will have a bottle in their refrigerated section. Put a 1/4 tsp in 8 oz of water and drink. I do this 2 times daily. Basically I keep some probiotic powder in my water bottle at all times to relieve my heartburn. Works well.

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote