HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-13-2004, 02:58 PM   #1
Steph N.

Hi fellow survivors and supporters -
I have had this problem since just prior to my diagnosis of liver mets in early Jan 2001. My ENT cauterized it, but this did not help much as I was back on some heavy chemo. When my blood counts were lowest it was worse.
Tried nasal gels, saline and antibiotic in salve form. Left side eventually healed, but right side is still a problem. Spring allergies are making it worse again. I avoid the spray allergy med as this also exacerbates the problem!
Any ideas would be most welcome.
Old 03-14-2004, 12:52 PM   #2
jessica

I had problems w/bloody nose also back when I was on chemo.They dry air of winter seemed to really irritate my nasal passages, so used the saline spray to keep everything moist and then would also saturate a piece of cotton w/saline and stick it in each nostril.I know, sounds gross, but it brought me some relief.I suspect the daily coumadin may have added to the problem...
I've also discovered that as my hair has grown back, including the hair in my nose, the sensitivity in my nostrils has decreased and the nose bleeds have stopped.
Wish I could have been more helpful.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:26 AM   #3
Terry

Steph, I started with the bloody nose several weeks after starting chemo all the way through to the end. I swabbed vaseline on the inside of each nostril each morning and evening and it helped tremendously. What happens is the inside of the nose scabs up and then continues to break open, hence the bleeding. The vaseline prevents the drying up, scabbing, and bleeding.

Hope it works for you!
Old 03-15-2004, 12:05 PM   #4
Steph N.

I do use a salve that is in a petroleum jelly type form, and this had been the most helpful.
But, think I will get a little tube of vasoline who I next stop at the pharmacy, which will be very soon!
Thanks for all the ideas.
Jello, I am not too certain about, but will look for some that is not full of sugar and tastes good.
Tree pollen time is in full swing in this part of the country and I feel it!