HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2018, 12:02 PM   #61
Cathya

Re: almost 14 years NED breast cancer and apparently it's back in my lungs

You've all likely seen this information but I though it was worth posting and the author is apparently very thorough.

A CHRISTMAS / HANUKKAH / HOLIDAY GIFT BASKET FROM SABCS 2017

The Winter holidays - rather quietly - brought some extraordinary holiday Cheer and Hope in the way of powerful frontier-edge advances in the treatment of all forms of breast cancer, for ER+ disease, and for HER2+ disease, and for TNBC, and for BRCA-positive breast cancers. Below I give my choices of the best of these, with some critical - and optimistic - commentary of my own.

Breakthroughs in Endocrine Therapy
I have already written about the breakthrough results in endocrine therapy (for ER+ disease) stemming from the FDA approval of the selective CDK4/6 abemaciclib (Verzenio): exceptional survival outcomes even in later stage metastatic disease in heavily pretreated patients, outcomes higher than any other agent used in breast cancer to date; high rates of response; durable survival benefits; its combination possibilities with aromatase inhibitors and fulvestrant and PD-1/PD-L1 checkpoint inhibitors among others. Al this following the impressive efficacy of two other FDA-approved CDK4/6 inhibitors, palbociclib (Ibrance) and ribociclib (Kisqali).

SABCS 2017 now brings us further promising benefits of combining abemaciclib (Verzenio) with the checkpoint inhibitor pembrolizumab (Keytruda), where the JPCE trial found benefit in pretreated ER+ disease without adding any additional toxicity. In addition, the phase II neoMONARCH trial found neoadjuvant abemaciclib (Verzenio) plus anastrozole active in early breast cancer, dropping the rate of proliferation (Ki-67) to below 2.7%.

In addition, the MONALEESA-7 trial showed that ribociclib (Kisqali) improves PFS by 10.8 Months in ER+ pre- and peri-menopausal patients with advanced breast cancer: the median PFS was 23.8 months for women who received ribociclib (Kisqali) combined with either tamoxifen or a nonsteroidal aromatase inhibitor (AI) plus goserelin (Zoladex), compared with 13.0 months for those who received standard endocrine therapy, highly significant results for the challenging group of younger-aged breast cancer patients.

Breakthroughs in HER2 Therapy
We also saw some significant advances in HER2-positive disease. The Phase IB/II PANACEA trial found that the combination of the checkpoint inhibitor pembrolizumab (Keytruda) plus trastuzumab (Herceptin) can achieve an impressive disease control rate (24%) in trastuzumab-resistant, PD-L1–positive, HER2+ breast cancer patients, potentially adding another weapon in our arsenal of effective anti-HER2 therapies.

In addition a new formulation of trastuzumab (Herceptin), namely trastuzumab deruxtecanwhich is a highly potent antibody conjugate (like T-DM1 (Kadcyla)) was highly active in heavily pretreated patients HER2+ metastatic breast cancer patients, with a exceptional durable overall response rate (ORR) of 61.4%, extremely impressive given that this was in patients who had already moved through some of the most potent HER2-targeted therapies including trastuzumab (Herceptin) itself, and T-DM1 (Kadcyla), and pertuzumab (Perjeta), and also impressive was a disease control rate (which includes stable disease) of between 84.2% up to 100%!

With an FDA Breakthrough Therapy Designation, I expect to see regulatory approval quickly, adding an exceptional exciting and powerful new agent to anti-HER2 therapies for advanced disease.

Breakthroughs in TNBC Therapy
In the challenging TNBC arena, SABCS 2017 brought us what I consider to be four breakthrough advances.
One phase 1 study of TNBC patients who were already heavily pretreated found that monotherapy with an antibody drug conjugate (ADC) biological agent, ladiratuzumab vedotin (SGN-LIV1A), showed encouraging antitumor activity in a with heavily pretreated TNBC, with a 58.3% disease control rate (including stable disease). This brings a targeted biological agent into the TNBC therapeutic context, rather than just chemotherapies.

In addition, the ENHANCE1/KEYNOTE-150 Phase IB/II trial found the checkpoint inhibitor pembrolizumab (Keytruda) plus eribulin (Halaven) delivered impressive efficacy in patients with metastatic TNBC, with disease control rate of 36.8% in this highly challenging population.

Still another immunotherapeutic agent, sacituzumab govitecan / IMMU-132 (another antibody-drug conjugate (ADC) achieved an objective response rate (ORR) of 34% in patients with heavily pretreated metastatic TNBC, and better survival outcomes than available conventional chemotherapies in this context.

Finally, the CALGB 40502/NCCTG N063H trial found that third-generation taxane, nab-paclitaxel (Abraxane) - one of my favorite drugs for metastatic breast cancer - shows promising improvements in both overall survival (OS) and progression-free survival (PFS) compared to standard paclitaxel (Taxol) for patients with metastatic TNBC, with a 26% reduction in the risk of death.

Breakthroughs in BRCA+ Therapy,
Two advances in PARP inhibitors continue to expand our regimen stockpile against BRCA-mutated breast cancer: the Phase III EMBRACA Trial found that PARP inhibitor talazoparibimproved PFS in BRCA-positive patients, impressively reducing the risk of disease progression or death by 46% versus chemotherapy. And the MEDIOLA Trial showed that a unique combination of the PARP inhibitor olaparib (Lynparza) plus the immunotherapeutic checkpoint inhibitor durvalumab (Imfinzi) elicits a disease control rate of 80% (!) for pretreated patients with germline BRCA-mutated, HER2-negative metastatic disease. These are truly breakthrough findings in the treatment of BRCA+ metastatic disease.

HEALTH | HAPPINESS | HOPE
TO ALL!

Constantine Kaniklidis
Director, Medical Research, No Surrender Breast Cancer Foundation (NSBCF)
Oncology Reviewer, Current Oncology [journal]
Society for Integrative Oncology (SIO)
Member, European Association for Cancer Research (EACR)

Diagnosed Oct. 2004 3 cm ductal, lumpectomy Nov. 2004
Diagnosed Jan. 2005 tumor in supraclavicular node
Stage 3c, Grade 3, ER/PR+, Her2++
4 AC, 4 Taxol, Radiation, Arimidex, Actonel
Herceptin for 9 months until Muga dropped and heart enlarged
Restarting herceptin weekly after 4 months off
Stopped herceptin after four weekly treatments....score dropped to 41
Finished 6 years Arimidex
May 2015 diagnosed with ovarian cancer
Stage 1C
started 6 treatments of carboplatin/taxol
Genetic testing show BRCA1 VUS
Nice! My hair came back really curly. Hope it lasts lol. Well it didn't but I liked it so I'm now a perm lady
29 March 2018 Lung biopsy following chest CT showing tumours in pleura of left lung, waiting for results to the question bc or ovarian
April 20, 2018 BC mets confirmed, ER/PR+ now Her2-
Questions about the possibility of ovarian spread and mets to bones so will be tested and monitored for these.
To begin new drug Palbociclib (Ibrance) along with Letrozole May, 2018.
Genetic testing of ovarian tumour and this new lung met will take months.
To see geneticist to be retested for BRCA this week....still BRCA VUS
CA125 has declined from 359 to 12 as of Aug.23/18

Cathya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:50 AM   #62
Pamelamary

Thanks Cathy - a great article, summarising the latest advances. Any way you can provide a direct link? I would love to share with my Aussie groups, but am a bit of a Luddite.
Best wishes..... Pam
Radiotherapy, i year Tamoxifen, 4 years Arimidex.
Rediagnosed 2012: Multiple bone metastases.
3/12: began on Marianne trial - T-DM1 + Pertuzamab/Placebo.
5/12:Unexpected development of numerous bilateral liver mets. Came off trial.
Started Docetaxol/ Herceptin + Zometa.
8/12:Bones stable +major regression in liver (!)
9/12:Can't take any more Docetaxol! Start on Herceptin and Tamoxifen. Cross fingers!
Changed to Denosumab.
11/12: Scan shows stable - yay!
11/13: Still stable :-) !!!
1/16: All stable, but lowered calcium, so switched to Zometa 3 monthly.
2/19: Happily still stable on Herceptin, Letrozole and 3 monthly Zometa.
Pamelamary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:58 PM   #63
Cathya

Pam; I'm just looking and in the meantime found another article you might enjoy.

http://www.healthcareitnews.com/news...ncer-treatment

best wishes back at you,

Cathy

Stage 1C
Nice! My hair came back really curly. Hope it lasts lol. Well it didn't but I liked it so I'm now a perm lady
29 March 2018 Lung biopsy following chest CT showing tumours in pleura of left lung, waiting for results to the question bc or ovarian
Questions about the possibility of ovarian spread and mets to bones so will be tested and monitored for these.

Old 05-10-2018, 01:04 PM   #64
Cathya

Pam;

I've found the article and it was posted in full by a lady on the community.breastcancer.org site so I don't have a link. I think though that I must track down this guys so I can follow all of his articles.

Sorry about this,

Cathy

Stage 1C

Old 05-17-2018, 08:29 AM   #65
Cathya

HAPPY HAPPY!!!

Bones scan is clear. No bone mets. I'm going to ask about going on actonel as I think that protects against getting them. See the onc on the 24th.

ASCO begins June 1st!! Here's a link to peruse the abstracts.
http://abstracts.asco.org/214S/search.php?zoom_que...

Best wishes all,

Cathy

Stage 1C

Old 05-17-2018, 10:31 AM   #66
caya

Wonderful news!

So happy for you!

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:22 AM   #67
lkc Gumby

So happy for you ! Great news!!!

Dxed Stage IIIC May 05, 12 pos nodes
er/pr -neg,Her -pos
LVI
Right partial mast & partial axillary dissection-June14,2005
Right modified mast-no clear margins- June 30, 2005
DD AC x4
Taxotere X4 with Herceptin
Rads x 35( 5 fields )
Left prophylactive mast( atypia & hyperplasia found ),
put on Tamoxifen x 1 yr; D/ced due to endometrial thickening
bilateral recon (saline implants)May 06
Nipple recon July 06
metformin 2010
removal of implants due to severe encapsulation, insertion of gummies 2013
Reclast Q yr
NED!!!
lkc Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:42 PM   #68
Melissa

Cathy,

Great and I loved seeing your "HAPPY HAPPY!!!"

04/06, (42), 2cm tumor, 7/13 nodes, one positive node under clavicle
mastectomy/reconstruction
grade 3, stage lllb, er-65+, pr-90+, her2+++(80%)
4/AC, 12wks TH then 6wks rads
40 wks herceptin, and tamoxifen.
onc test tamoxifen resistance = poor metabilizer
04/07 ooph & on arimidex
08/07 completed herceptin

04/2022 - 16 year survivor!
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:36 PM   #69
tricia keegan

Great news!
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:46 PM   #70
Carol Ann

YAY!!! Happy Happy with you!!

Carol Ann
July 24, 2013: "Infected" Right Nipple and benign cyst removed, pathology report revealed Paget's, DCIS, and ILC 1.25 cm, ER+/Pro+/HER2 equivocal, Grade 2 under benign cyst, previous diagnostic mammo/ultrasound said I was perfectly healthy in both breasts.

Aug 18, 2013: MRI report says Left breast is perfectly healthy "consistent with previous studies".

Sept 2013: I insist on a bilateral mastectomy anyway. Too nervewracking to let left breast remain with higher risk after 3 cancers in right, nipple in right is already gone anyhow.

Sept 18, 2013: Bilateral mastectomy, 11 right nodes removed, ALL negative BUT -- ER+/PRO+/HER2+ tumor, 1.0 cm, Grade 2 found in a piece of "grossly unremarkable" breast tissue from prophylactic mastectomy of left breast, no nodes removed.

Oct 25, 2013: 13 left side nodes removed, ALL negative, Stage 1 across the board, NO RADS needed, YAAAAY! Port also installed.

Nov 25, 2013 Begin 6 rounds TCH.

March 10, 2014 Just finished 6th and LAST Chemo today, YAAAAAY!

March 24, 2014 Echocardiogram to make sure I'm still good for Herceptin every 3 weeks.

March 31, 2014 Echo results NORMAL, first Herceptin all by itself. Now if only my eyes would stop streaming from the Taxotere ... :)

April 21, 2014 Started Arimidex and therapy for "mild" lymphedema in left hand and arm

May 2014 Therapy completed, I have sleeves and gloves for both arms, a Flexi touch lymph pump to hook up to for an hour every day, and I've become an arm bandaging expert. :)

June 2014 Begin Fosamax to prevent osteoporosis; bone scan revealed osteopenia

Nov 17, 2014 FINAL Herceptin!

Dec 4, 2014 My right thigh muscle has been extra achy for days ... I discover a blister rash cluster on the side of my right thigh while taking a shower. Port appointment cancelled until Dec 17, my doc is working me in tomorrow afternoon to see me and the rash. My muscle at least feels less achy.

Dec 5, 2014 Yep, I have shingles. Boo! I start acyclovir and also have a prescription for a painkiller just in case for over the weekend.

Dec 17, 2014 Port is OUT!

January 2016 Shingles again and this time it started where my left breast (where the hidden HER2+++ tumor was!) used to be. My onc nurse got me a same day appointment to see my doc when I called and told her I had a rash on the site. The antiviral meds are working once again, though, so that is good news. :)
Carol Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:21 PM   #71
Laurel

Whoop! Whoop!!!! That is great news!

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:52 PM   #72
Cathya

Thank you so much everyone!!! I was so surprised and happy. Now I just have to wait to hear about the ovarian cancer (hope my ca125 drops over the next couple of months) and how the Ibrance and Letrozole is working....in 2 1/2 months. Yuk waiting.

Cathy

Stage 1C

Old 05-24-2018, 10:09 AM   #73
Cathya

OMG I just got some fabulous news!! My CA125 was 292 in early March, 359 in April and today it had DROPPED to 62. This means (so far as we know) that it was high due to the bc mets in my lung lining and secondly that the treatment I have been on for 3 weeks is working. Normally the CA125 is used to identify a recurrence of ovarian cancer (my biggest worry) but sometimes if your bc recurrence is in the lining of an organ it rises....as it appears to have done in my case. So now I have hope again as treating ovarian cancer and bc at the same time would be very difficult as the treatments counteract each other. Wow, I am so happy today. Still stage 4 but happy none the less.

God bless you all and I hope you all have some good news to celebrate. I bought ice cream. hahaha

Cathy

Stage 1C

Old 05-24-2018, 02:46 PM   #74
Carol Ann

YAY fabulous news!!! Ice cream AND cake, I say!!

Carol Ann
July 24, 2013: "Infected" Right Nipple and benign cyst removed, pathology report revealed Paget's, DCIS, and ILC 1.25 cm, ER+/Pro+/HER2 equivocal, Grade 2 under benign cyst, previous diagnostic mammo/ultrasound said I was perfectly healthy in both breasts.

Aug 18, 2013: MRI report says Left breast is perfectly healthy "consistent with previous studies".

Sept 2013: I insist on a bilateral mastectomy anyway. Too nervewracking to let left breast remain with higher risk after 3 cancers in right, nipple in right is already gone anyhow.

Sept 18, 2013: Bilateral mastectomy, 11 right nodes removed, ALL negative BUT -- ER+/PRO+/HER2+ tumor, 1.0 cm, Grade 2 found in a piece of "grossly unremarkable" breast tissue from prophylactic mastectomy of left breast, no nodes removed.

Oct 25, 2013: 13 left side nodes removed, ALL negative, Stage 1 across the board, NO RADS needed, YAAAAY! Port also installed.

Nov 25, 2013 Begin 6 rounds TCH.

March 10, 2014 Just finished 6th and LAST Chemo today, YAAAAAY!

March 24, 2014 Echocardiogram to make sure I'm still good for Herceptin every 3 weeks.

March 31, 2014 Echo results NORMAL, first Herceptin all by itself. Now if only my eyes would stop streaming from the Taxotere ... :)

April 21, 2014 Started Arimidex and therapy for "mild" lymphedema in left hand and arm

May 2014 Therapy completed, I have sleeves and gloves for both arms, a Flexi touch lymph pump to hook up to for an hour every day, and I've become an arm bandaging expert. :)

June 2014 Begin Fosamax to prevent osteoporosis; bone scan revealed osteopenia

Nov 17, 2014 FINAL Herceptin!

Dec 4, 2014 My right thigh muscle has been extra achy for days ... I discover a blister rash cluster on the side of my right thigh while taking a shower. Port appointment cancelled until Dec 17, my doc is working me in tomorrow afternoon to see me and the rash. My muscle at least feels less achy.

Dec 5, 2014 Yep, I have shingles. Boo! I start acyclovir and also have a prescription for a painkiller just in case for over the weekend.

Dec 17, 2014 Port is OUT!

January 2016 Shingles again and this time it started where my left breast (where the hidden HER2+++ tumor was!) used to be. My onc nurse got me a same day appointment to see my doc when I called and told her I had a rash on the site. The antiviral meds are working once again, though, so that is good news. :)
Carol Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 01:24 PM   #75
Donna H

Great news! Enjoy that ice cream!
Donna H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:43 PM   #76
tricia keegan

So happy for you Cathy and celebrating with you!
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:59 PM   #77
Cathya

Carol Ann, Donna and Tricia;

Thank you so much for joining me in celebrating this great news. My oncologist is also looking into adding biophosphonates to my regime as a deterrent to future potential bone mets and for the effects of Letrozole. Plus I got a prescription for Bactroban ointment which others having my treatments run under their noses and a little inside to protect against infections if flying, shopping malls, etc. It would be good for chemo patients too I would think as Ibrance is considered by some as an oral chemo.

I will be watching the Asco news in the next couple of weeks for news but keep my treatments in mind if you ever need them. I'm finding the side effects minimal.

God bless you,
Cathy

Stage 1C

Old 05-25-2018, 03:19 PM   #78
Becky

And biophosphanates seem to also have a slight chemo affect too. Very happy about all your news over the last week's. Just wasn't online to say yay

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 05:47 AM   #79
Laurel

Doing the happy dance for ya, Cathy! Terrific news!

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 07:52 AM   #80
Cathya

Becky and Laurel;

Thanks so much. Apparently a similar situation with the rising CA125 was featured on Greys Anatomy a few weeks ago. I wish I'd seen it haha. I do hate being the "weird" patient though.

Cathy

Stage 1C