HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-24-2007, 05:31 PM   #1
Liz J.

Question Actonel vs Fosamax

Hi All HER2 Family.

I was prescribed Fosamax about a year ago as a precautionary measure. I normally take what is prescribed without question, but I checked out Fosamax on the web and found so many issues along with many law suits from severe side effects. My last bone density was in 1/07 and it came out ok so I just take my calcium with D. My DRs. are insisting that I take the Fosamax. Now, my mother-in-law was prescribed Actonel. She is 79 and a former smoker. I am just trying to find out if one is safer than the other. I checked the web but it got too confusing. Is anyone taking either and if so how are you doing on it? Please advise.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Liz J.
Liz J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:04 PM   #2
Jean

Liz,
I am taking actonel, I am taking an AI and my onc. said due to the AI
I need to take the actonel. We choose actonel since it is easier on the
stomach. I had a bone density test in 2005/and one in 2006 I had improvment while on Actonel. I had a very slight bone loss on my right hip which has improved while on Actonel. I also take calicum and of course
eat foods high in calicum. Will be due for another bone density test.

Best of Luck,
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:42 AM   #3
tricia keegan

Jean do you take Actonel weekly like fosamax?? I'm thinking I may ask my onc to switch me to this as I believe it would be easier on my stomach, I still have to take nexium daily to relieve problems I've had since chemo ended.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:02 PM   #4
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink My Fosamax Experience

During chemo I was dx w/osteopenia (the beginning of osteoporosis). I was alarmed, naturally. My GYN conferred w/a friend of his who was a rheumatologist(?sp) and he suggested I be put on PROPHYLACTIC DOSAGE OF FOSAMAX. HALF DOSAGE. This was 100 yrs ago when you took it daily! I then went to weekly. I think they now have mnthly.

Anyway, after 6 yrs (bond dens tests ev 2 yrs) I was told my bones were beautiful and to discontinue the Fosamax. I had no idea ones' bones could improve, I had hoped to retard further deterioration. This is fabulous. And remains still true. And, of course I do the calcium 600 w/D 400 twice a day. I have also been advised to take D3 1,000 for bones by my nut/onc (nutritonal oncologist guru/expert/healer) BTW!
BE WELL!
Andi

'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote