HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-08-2006, 01:51 PM   #1
Chelee

Neulasta?

I was given the sheet that explains how Neulasta works...and how often it should be given. It says you should have a Neulasta shot after each full chemo session.

So I was wondering why I did not recieve one after my first full chemo of Herceptin, Taxotere, and Carbpotin? My wbc dropped to 116 over a two week period before my doctor decided to give me the Neulasta.

I have read many posts on this board and others that seems to support that information sheet put out by Neulasta that it should be given after EACH full cycle of chemo.

Has everyone here been getting their Neulasta every time they get a full cycle of chemo? It would seem that would be the best way to do it to avoid the body's immune system to drop so low to pick up all and any infections.

Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 01:59 PM   #2
RhondaH

My last dose of dose dense TEC was 5/18/05...

and I had Neulasta the day after EVERY chemo I had. Take care and God bless.

Rhonda Hoffman
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 02:49 PM   #3
Diane H

I had neulasta for every chemo treatment except the first and the last.. Some people do not need the neulasta, they wait until after the first treatment to see how you do and if your counts fall a certain amount then they start it. For the last treatment the assumption is you will bounce back on your own as you will not be receiving more treatment. Hugs, Diane
Diane H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:42 PM   #4
Lee

I haven't needed it.

I receive taxol/carbo/herceptin 3 wks on/1 wk off, and have for almost 5 cycles now, and I haven't needed a shot of Neulasta because my blood counts haven't dropped down to the point that I needed it. I don't think it is just automatically given every time unless you are receiving a dose dense regimen or your counts drop every time.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:45 PM   #5
Liz J.

Neulasta

Hi Chelee,

I received Neulasta two days after each chemo. Every three weeks I would get chemo (CAF) on Monday and get Neulasta on Wednesday. Although I had Neulasta after the first chemo, I had developed rash, infection, fever etc. by that weekend. I had to have boosters 2 times the following week (for white count) along with antibiotic, powder and ointment. After that I had one or two bouts wih boosters for the white counts and I think also 2 times for the red. I think it was the 3rd and 5th rounds. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Hugs,

Liz J.
Liz J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:58 PM   #6
newgg

Dense dose X 4 ......A/C on Thursday and shot of neulasta each Friday.
newgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 08:21 PM   #7
Bev

Hi, I had neulasta day after 2nd chemo because first treatment had lowered WBC to 1.6 (must be a different scale) WBC's came roaring back to 6, higher than normal 4.

After 3rd chemo WBC went back to 1.6. Onc said it was up to me as eventually the count would return to normal. Neulasta made me feel worse (flu-like) than the chemo so i only had the one.

Good luck, BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 08:32 PM   #8
Sandy H

My oncologist prefers to wait and see if it is needed. He is very willing to give it if needed. I have have had no problems with my blood counts. I have had plenty Herceptin, Taxol and Carboplatin 6 weeks on and 2 weeks off. Its just another drug for our body and if we don't need it then why have it. On the other hand if it prevents problems then maybe, it makes sense to use it. I rather not have it until I need it. I am not speaking for anyone else. hugs, Sandy
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 08:55 PM   #9
sassy

I had Neulasta after each dose dense A/C. It was explained to me that Neulasta was more recommended for the two week interval treatment than for three week interval.

Sassy
________
Live Sex

Last edited by sassy; 08-22-2011 at 08:42 AM..
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:03 PM   #10
karenann

I received Neulasta the day of each of my dose dense chemo.

Karen
karenann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:43 PM   #11
Yorkiegirl

I had Neulasta the day after each of my 4 dose dense AC. But when I had my 4 dose dense of Abraxane I needed the Aransep as my RBC were effected and not my WBC.

Vocki
Yorkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:56 PM   #12
tousled1

I did not receive Neulasta on my first chemo round but did receive it the day after chemo for the next three rounds (A/C). Next week I start 4 round of Taxatore. Not sure if I will get Neulasta or not.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:52 PM   #13
sherri

I had it the next day after chemo every time.
sherri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 08:56 AM   #14
JohnL

Most people here in the UK get it with first AC, FEC or Taxotere chemo - if budgets allow. I think it still costs about $3,000 a shot?
JohnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 12:11 AM   #15
Chelee

Thanks to all that replied about the Neulasta. I see its a bit different with everyone...although it does seem like more people get it after chemo then not.
I know my wbc was down...way down after the first two chemos...which is why I wondered why he didn't give me the Neulasta right away?

I landed in the hospital for 10 days and I am still at home sick. My count was down to 116. I did get the Neulasta shot but it was way past due as far as I am concerned. The Neulasta information sheet says to give it after each full chemo infusion. He knew my counts were low...and didn't do it???

Finally he had me get a shot of Neulasta and I was concerned I would end up with that bone pain everyone talks about. But I got lucky and didn't notice any bone pain at all. (Knock on wood) Then of course my wbc was off the charts. I just hope I can get going again after all this down time. I wish he would of just given me the Neulasta the first time he saw my counts so low.

Thanks again to all that replied. Much appreciated.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 05:40 AM   #16
tousled1

Chelee,

Thank your lucky stars that you aren't experiencing the bone pain. I must admit my bone pain was worse when I got the neupogin shots (1 every day for 5 days) than on the neulasta. I believe my bone pain is so severe because I had a spinal fusion in Dec 2004. Good luck to you.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 09:45 AM   #17
Andi

I had the Neulasta shot one day following my 4 dose dense a/c but did not receive it when I was taking weekly taxol + herceptin. My blood counts stayed normal.
Andi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 07:40 PM   #18
Sherryg683

I have never received neulasta and my wbc have gotten pretty low. My Oncologist wants my counts to raise by themselves and not get dependant on a drug to do it. I get my big chemo dose every 3 weeks and by the time I get to it, my counts have raised themselves on their own, so I don't need the shots. ...sherryg683
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 07:54 PM   #19
sadie

Question Neulasta bone pain

What kind of bone pain did everyone experience with Neulasta?
2 days after I received the injection, I got the most severe pain throughout my whole torso!
I was expecting something like arthritic pain; but this was like a pulsating pain starting at the top of the torso and pulsating downward (almost like a heart beat). It felt like the alien was going to be popping out of me any second!
With each "pulse" it would work its way downward until it settled in just the lower back for a few more pulses until it weakened to nothing. The whole thing lasted approx 15 seconds. This feeling would come and go for the next few days. The 1st day was the worst (2 days after the injection).
I only received it after my 3rd AC treatment. Thru a mutual friend, I know someone else who experienced something quite similar. Yet, I've never read about anyone in these msg boards experiencing that.
Was this reaction not a normal one?
sadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 09:31 PM   #20
Jade

Post Hi Sadie!

Neulasta is the one-shot medication which I received after my first EC chemo by mistake as it wasn't covered (don't know if it is now) by our provincial medical plan, after that I received Neupogen which is (to my understanding) the same thing only administered over 7 days, one shot per day. With both medications, 7 days after the first shot I experienced the bone pain you are talking about, the pulsing... The pain in my hips/pelvis/tailbone felt like someone was trying to pull me apart, north & south, like my tailbone and whole upper body was being pulled up and something was pulling down on my hips and legs. The first time I foolishly went for a walk thinking it would help, but by the time I made it home from around the block I could barely walk. No one had told me about this pain so you can imagine, the first thing I thought was "IT is in my bones". The kids were asleep, I was trying to decide whether to go to hospital, got on the "Nurses Hotline" who advised me to go to Emerg, and then I thought "you know what, if it IS in my bones it's not gonna make any difference if I'm home or in the hospital tonight", (the pain wasn't excruciating, just weird and scary and debilitating, but not morphine level) so I stayed home and went to bed. The next morning the pain was gone. That first time was the worst (with the Neulasta). After that with the Neupogen I had what you describe, the pulsing and tugging would last about 30 secs, on and off for about 3 days. My onc said it's the body repairing itself, the platelets forming etc. Pain for a good cause!!
It's the C-word that's the alien within.
All the best to you Sadie,
Jade
Jade is offline   Reply With Quote