HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-17-2008, 10:55 AM   #1
Lani

the ball bounces back: opinion on whether metastatic spread from core biopsy changing

AACR 2008: ABSTRACT #LB-95: Evidence for increased metastatic dissemination after core needle biopsy of breast cancer in an in vivo model of human tumour metastasis
[American Association for Cancer Research]
The standard of care in the investigation of clinically or mammographically detected breast cancer is a core needle biopsy. Several studies have demonstrated tumor cell displacement along needle tracks and into draining lymph nodes following core needle biopsies. The clinical consequence of this observation remains the subject of ongoing debate. We hypothesized that the biological tumor response to core needle biopsies would result in increased tumor growth, vascular migration and distant spread of viable malignant cells. To test our hypothesis we used MDA-MB435 cells grown on the chorio-allantoic membrane (CAM) of 8-day-old chick embryos. Our results demonstrated that core needle biopsy significantly increased the overall metastatic burden in a number of distant organs [Fig 1]. Additionally, evidence was seen for a biopsy induced trophic shift in the pattern of metastatic dissemination observed in the biopsied chick embryos when compared to the pattern of metastases observed in non-biopsied tumors [Fig 2]. Our experimental results support clinical reports of tumor cell displacement into lymph nodes following core needle biopsies. Additionally, these findings suggest that the change in pattern of increase in metastasis observed in biopsied animals is related, at least in part, to a biological alteration (trophic change) in the breast cancer cells and or tumor microenvironment resulting from the core needle biopsy, rather than being entirely a consequence of mechanical displacement of cells into the surrounding vasculature.
http://www.docguide.com/news/content...D0060C157(less technical coverage)
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:52 PM   #2
StephN

Hi Lani -
I had missed this one. The book of abstracts for the AACR conference is at least as big as the Seattle phone directory! We tried to focus on breast cancer related sessions and posters, but there were dozens!

My question: Is the thinking turning to going from a needle to excisional biopsy and NOT taking the accepted second step of a core biopsy?

One reason I ask is that my needle biopsy missed my tumor and I was sent for a core biopsy next. The needle missed as my body was surrounding my tumor with normal fatty and fibrous tissue in which the tumor was embedded closer to my chest wall. The core biopsy was also inconclusive so I then had the excisional biopsy. This put off my deciding on an onc/treatment for about a month while waiting for the dx and pathology.

Maybe my case is a rare instance, but this is what happened to me. I had distant mets very quickly.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:58 PM   #3
Hopeful

Lani, your link doesn't work, as I think you got part of your sentence tangled up in it. It would be great if you could repair it, as I would like to read this report.

Makes me happy I backpedaled on the core biopsy and just went for the excisional.

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:35 PM   #4
swimangel72

This article makes me happy that I went for a mastectomy - even though the biopsy said my tumor was Stage 1. Later, when I finally found out that I was Her2+, I was even more happy I had the masectomy. (I'm still not-so-happy that I had the Diep reconstruction, what with the staph infection and abdominal incision, but ask me again in a year.)

ANYWAY - I remember when I had my needle-biopsy (sonogram assisted, vaccuum type) - I kept thinking, "I wonder if the needle will spread the cancer cells even further?" It does seem to make sense, even to a non-scientist like me - if they can duplicate this study, treatments will have to change to be less invasive. Thanks Lani for posting this info!
IDC Stage 1, Grade 1
ER+ 90% /PR+ 90% /Her2++++, BRAC1 & 2 neg
3/5/08 - mast with muscle-sparing free tram;
0/7 nodes clear; Stage 1 lymphedema in right arm
3/11/08 - MRSA infection in abdomen causes large hernia
4/11/08 - Oncotype DX score 22 (intermediate)
4/12/08 - Muga score 67%
4/23/08 - Chemo, Navelbine and Herceptin every 2 weeks
8/20/08 - Last Navelbine infusion! Yay!
1/22/09 - First mammo since dx - unaffected breast CLEAR!
1/30/09 - Second Muga score 63%
swimangel72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:51 PM   #5
Lani

another attempt--but I warn you...

I am lousy at "linking"

http://www.docguide.com/news/content...25742D0060C157
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:41 PM   #6
KelliD.

I had an excisional biopsy, but w/ a wire localization. Would that count, also as a needle maybe spreading the cancer?!
KelliD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:00 PM   #7
Becky

I have always felt "certain" that my micromets in my sentinel node were from my needle biopsy (which was inconclusive anyway). My breast was sore and totally black and blue (which means there was significant blood spread).

That's my thought on it. If I ever need another I will insist that they just remove the offending tissue.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:48 PM   #8
harrie

When my oncologist advised me to have chemo because of possible microscopic cancer cells in the bloodstream, one of my first thoughts was "wow, what about the cells that might have gotten away from core biopsy???!!?" Because I remember the 2 punches as the needle was inserted and the bruising afterwards.
Maryanne

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 02:04 AM   #9
RhondaH

Smile I remember my surgeon asking me before we even

KNEW it was cancer "so, do you want me to biopsy it or just take it out" as I told him, "I'm not THAT vain OR attached to it...so take it out" and he only did the excisional biopsy and later went in to clean the margins which were fine.

Rhonda

Dx 2/1/05, Stage 1, 0 nodes, Grade 3, ER/PR-, HER2+ (3.16 Fish)
2/7/05, Partial Mastectomy
5/18/05 Finished 6 rounds of dose dense TEC (Taxotere, Epirubicin and Cytoxan)
8/1/05 Finished 33 rads
8/18/05 Started Herceptin, every 3 weeks for a year (last one 8/10/06)

2/1/13...8 year Cancerversary and I am "perfect" (at least where cancer is concerned;)

" And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:09 AM   #10
Paris

Having had a core needle biopsy but being node negative by sentinel node biopsy do I have nothing to worry about?

With each bit of research and information sometimes creating more confusion for me it reminds me to live each day to the fullest.

Jamie
SNB Node Negative
Chemo Taxotere, Cytoxan 2/07-4/07
Herceptin Started 5/07
Exchange surgery 6/15/07
Herceptin stopped after 12 rounds due to herceptin induced cardiomyopathy
On heart meds 'til?
Age 40 at diagnosis
Cancer may have been a defining moment but it does not define me!
Paris is offline   Reply With Quote