HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Old 03-13-2009, 01:49 PM   #1
Unregistered

One view of what NICE is, and how it decides in the UK

I thought it might be helpful to post an overview for those not familiar with what happens in the UK regarding the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) and how it comes to its decisions.

Bear in mind that I am no expert in these matters, just an interested bystander whose 'other half' has been through what many of you here have been through with HER2 BC. I have pulled together these comments from what I have found during my searching the internet. I believe what I say here is reasonably accurate but feel free to correct me if you know better (and I'm sure some of you will).

NICE is the independent organisation responsible for providing national guidance on the promotion of good health and the prevention and treatment of ill health, at least this is what it says on their website. It is not always publicly viewed as independent of the government by many people who feel that they are under pressure to meet costs first and decide on treatment second.

NICE uses a Quality Adjusted Life Year (QALY) to asses how a treatment measures up and if it is over a certain threshold, currently £20,000 ($28,000 US) it will go out for appeal on whether or not to proceed, if it is over £30,000 ($42,000 US) it normally says an outright NO.

One interpretation of QALY would be how much lifespan a person would be prepared to give up to deliver one year of perfect health from the current state of ill health. By comparing QALY values before and after treatment one could calculate the benefit delivered by a given treatment to a given person.

The cost of a treatment may be relatively easy to calculate but because people may be at different ages when they receive treatment, the gain may be different according to age. A heart operation on a small child may deliver many more years of quality of life than the same operation on a 76 year old man. By taking the cost of treatment and dividing it by the years gained an overall cost benefit ratio can be determined as the 'cost per quality-adjusted life year gained' or CQG.

NICE has pledged to speed up its appraisal process so that guidance is ready between three and six months after a drug is licensed. Currently the process can take up to two years.

Nice uses independent expert committees to evaluate new drugs for use on the NHS and they use a complicated calculation balancing the cost of the drug against how effective it is at improving length and quality of life.

The calculation arrives at an additional cost per "quality-adjusted life year" over and above
the price of existing treatments and if that figure is more than £30,000 then the drug is
generally not approved for use.

But the new rules will allow this level to be breached after a public consultation found most
people agreed that greater weight should be given to drugs that provide extra months of life for terminally ill patients.

It must be remembered that all of this is done for all drugs and the NHS budget has to cover all treatments not just cancer.

Now specifically there have been two recent decisions by NICE which have been brought up on this forum.

Firstly the Tykerb (often known as Tyverb in the UK) where they have come up with what is called a Final appraisal determination (PDF document) which can be read here.
You can see more comments on this here and here. Basically this document says that NICE is going to say NO to Tykerb. This can be appealed but is going to need a lot of people supporting this but I think it will need evidence as well as numbers.

Secondly the new Advanced breast cancer: diagnosis and treatment clinical guidelines which was published in February 2009. This is the document which says that Herceptin will be withdrawn from patients with advanced breast cancer. There are two sets of documents one for health professionals and another for patients both of which can be found here.

Both of these decisions mean that it unlikely that any NHS Hospital in the UK will consider giving either Tykerb or Herceptin for advanced breast cancer in future.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:50 PM   #2
hutchibk

Thank you for spelling it out in terms for all to understand how morally corrupt it is to approach health care mainly from the perspective of financial calculations and formulas and how much of a "limited pie" can be devoted to various health segments and age groups of a population (essentially screwing the sick and elderly, and those of us who have MANY good years left with advanced treatments and pharma support). Bureaucrats and collectivism be damned!

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."

Last edited by hutchibk; 03-14-2009 at 08:56 PM..
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:50 AM   #3
Laurel

Sadly, I fear this is our way...

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:56 AM   #4
Christine MH-UK

Thank you for providing such a clear explanation

You have provided a generally accurate description of what NICE is and does, but it should be noted that the NICE guidance for herceptin doesn't completely block the use of herceptin for stage IV patients. What is states is "For patients who are receiving treatment with trastuzumab for advanced breast cancer, discontinue treatment with trastuzumab at the time of disease progression outside the central nervous system. Do not discontinue trastuzumab if disease progression is within the central nervous system alone," which is rather different from what you state.

It should also be added, too, that NICE feeds into a general culture of delay. As you mention, it is designed to provide guidance. Technically, the primary care trusts can prescribe drugs after they are licensed but before NICE has provided guidance on whether they should be used. In practice, the PCTs generally tend to drag their heels and many may not just wait until NICE has ruled but delay introducing the drug for as long as possible thereafter.

It's not just that QALY is used, but also that the figure is so appalling low that is the problem. I don't think that many people in Britain are aware that NICE has put a value on a full-quality year of life at just 20,000-30,000 pounds. The figures used are at about the same level as annual median earnings for individuals, so don't even include activities that have an economic value but aren't included in income, such as volunteer work and essential caring activities. I have heard that some US insurers use QALY figures to decide what to cover, but the values used are at least 100,000 dollars a year, which is over twice individual annual median earnings, and that these can go up to 200,000 a year in practice. I don't know where the cutoff should be, but 20,000-30,000 pounds just doesn't make any sense. I think the QALY estimate for Tyverb/Tykerb was £60,000/year, so I don't see it coming into use in Britain any time soon.

Another aspect I think that has to be taken into account is that cost is only half of cost effectiveness. If Tykerb cured stage IV cancer, Glaxo could charge an arm and a leg for it and patients could still get it under QALY rules.
Christine MH-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:00 AM   #5
Ellie F

Hi Christine,totally agree with what you have said about NICE. Have just had a second opinion about my bc at a UK centre of excellence. Interestingly the oncologists there are challenging the decision not to authorise tykerb and are also very unhappy about the decisions regarding herceptin for advanced breast cancer.He encouraged us to continue the petition and try to get more political support . Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:35 AM   #6
Unregistered

Please take a look at my post in the Petition thread at http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin...6&postcount=29.

Exactly what I have said we need the oxygen of publicity, we need every single UK resident to contact their MP to to something about this. There is nothing that any individual can to do change what NICE does, it is governed by what they are required to do by the government. The only people who can appeal the NICE deterimation (as it is currently called) are those consultees in the process so we have to hope some or all of them will.

As to the comment re herceptin being used for treating the central nervous system it is well known that herceptin does not cross the blood brain barrier and so why continue to use it for the central nervous system when tykerb is a better drug.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:26 AM   #7
Ellie F

Agree the issue of herceptin, NICE and CNS seems to make no sense at all when research shows tykerb is more effective. It doesn't even seem to make economic sense!
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote