HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2006, 08:07 AM   #1
madubois63

Talking BC Barbie from Matell

Okay, so I've been following a thread on the new Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Barbie on the young survival board. http://www.youngsurvival.org/community/bulletin-boardMattel is donating $250,000 to Susan G. Komen from the proceeds of the doll. The doll costs about $25 each. Wal-Mart Barbie AdIt's pretty funny what everyone is saying...does she come with prosthesis, scars, black toe nails, a wig/scarves, an IV line, a toilet to puke in...??? I've been having fun reading this for the last 2 days, so I thought I'd bring it over hear for new prospective...post away!!!

Maryann
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 09:06 AM   #2
StephN

Thumbs down What irony

Thanks for pointing this out, MaryAnne.
I sure hope some of the others here take a look at that thread. Brings out a range of emotions.

A few quick thoughts.
If they wanted to do this for "awareness" some changes needed to be made to Barbie. If they want to call her a "Breast Cancer Barbie" they need to GIVE her breast cancer IMHO. If they want her to be a SURVIVOR and looking this way, they should say that is what this doll is.

Maybe they think that this will make the BC "words" more familiar to little girls who have a greater and greater chance of getting the disease. But by glamorizing the disease with THIS representation, I think the WRONG MESSAGE is being sent.

As for profit motive. Exactly - the maker WILL make money and so will the retailers. How many of these cookie cutter dolls are being made and sold through countless retailers?? And they only want to donate $250,000???
I am sure they have 50,000 outlets, not mention online sales. Komen MIGHT be getting ONE dollar for every doll sold.

Can someone else make sense of this for me?? Think I will get one and rip her hair out and send it to the Komen headquaters ...

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 09:17 AM   #3
Jeanette

Talking Doll

I think mattel is donating $2.50 for each doll sold , with a minimum of $250.000
Jeanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 09:59 AM   #4
Tracy

She is not actually called "BC Barbie", it says on the box "Pink Ribbon" and I believe she is the Susan G. Komen Barbie Doll. I think she is supposed to be a supporter, not exactly sure though.

Looks like she is called "Pink Ribbon Barbie" according to the Walmart ad.

Last edited by Tracy; 08-13-2006 at 10:02 AM..
Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 11:02 AM   #5
karenann

My wonderful 13 year old daughter and her dad bought this doll for me for my birthday. My daughter came up with the idea and spent her own money on it. It means the world to me and I display it proudly on my mantle.

Hugs,
Karen
karenann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 11:36 AM   #6
StephN

Wink Took another look ...

Due to Karenanne's post I took a better look at the ad for the doll. I had done that quickly then read the thread on the other site.
Looks like she IS supposed to be a supporter. That is a better viewpoint, but a supporter can wear other colors so the pink ribbon stands out more. (You can enlarge the pic in the ad.)

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 11:48 AM   #7
VaMoonRise
Deceased

BC Barbie from Matell

She was definitely made to be a symbol of support and not as a depiction of a woman with BC.

I personally think it is great any time something is done to bring about more awareness.

BC gets more attention and more funding than any other type of cancer out there. I am tremendously grateful for any effort or monetary gains whether it be one cent towards finding a cure or $250,000. Companies, individuals etc., are not required to give a damn thing and those that do should be commended and appreciated not torn down just because someone thinks they could have given more or done more. I know it may not seem like it is enough until a cure is actually found but I for one refuse to bite the hand that extends forward in an attempt to save us.

Nicola
VaMoonRise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 01:59 PM   #8
RobinP

BC Barbie, haven't seen it yet but it sounds like a good idea. Maybe this is just the ticket to raise cancer awareness, especially amoung young teens who will soon be young women.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:52 PM   #9
AlaskaAngel

Thumbs down

While I've read the posts about the positive aspects to this and acknowledge that it can raise awareness and money, the idea still seems very unpleasant to me. At the same time, I think it is very innocent that a child would buy this doll in honor of her mother, and I don't think my feelings are incongruent at all.

Maybe if Barbie was not such an impossible vision of perfection for the children who play with her to ever achieve, and the source of so much lack of confidence, and the source of so much need to buy whatever it takes to look like her, it would have more positive meaning for me.

Cancer doesn't make women feel like Barbie at all. I think Barbie only emphasizes the importance in our culture of having perfect breasts. I have to agree with Steph's first impression. If the maker of Barbie wants to donate money for breast cancer they don't have to tie it to an icon of false image to make money on the side.

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 01:23 AM   #10
sarah

While I agree it's great that people donate anything and that awareness is good, it may just be a feel good trendy thing with lots of free publicity that in the end helps Mattel make $22.50 a doll! It would be nice if they were only taking the cost or just a tiny bit more than cost and donating the rest to cancer and with no limit. Still anything is better than nothing. After all think if 1 million companies did the same thing!
sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 06:47 AM   #11
fitztwins

Wink very interesting

On my bc.org board, many of the women were really upset by the doll. The posts here are much more positive. I agree, raise money and awareness are a win-win.

Janis

Enjoy Every Sandwich

dx 12/2004, er/pr+ her2+++ Stage IIIC
AC/Taxol dd 4/4,33 Rads,
Herceptin ( every 3 weeks) 5/05-5/06,
Tamoxifen 1 year
Femara 2 years
dx with Mets to pelivs bone 6/08,
herceptin, 6 tx Taxotere, rads, zometa
fitztwins is offline   Reply With Quote