HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-19-2005, 05:54 AM   #1
JudyD

I had a lumpectomy -- tumor was small (1.8 c), early stage I, and not in my lymph nodes. However, tumor was high grade 3 and HER2+. Onc suggested enrolling in study for Early Stage I cancers in which Herceptin would be given as an antibody treatment with Taxol.

I had 4 Adriamcyin/Cytoxin treatments 21 days apart. Friday I had weekly treatment #6 of 12 of Herceptin/Taxol. Problem is: veins not cooperating. Takes 2-3 tries. A port put in originally (12/2) never worked -- caused excruciating pain -- was removed after one chemo treatment. I have a 2x2" scar/hard area which is above the incision line for the port. Surgeon said my body rejected the port. Others who have seen think maybe slight spillage or something occured. Onc does not want to put another port in because of unknown cause of problem. After the 12 Herceptin/Taxol treatments I am supposed to get Herceptin alone for 10 months.

Now my Onc says, "Remember when you entered the study, we said if problems occured of any kind you could drop out. The most important things are that your tumor was small, Early Stage I, and not in nodes." Onc said remember we do not know if Herceptin will work as an antibody treatment. Onc said it was my tumor with the HER2 gene and that reoccurrence rate about 17-20%.

Please give me any info you have. If my tumor was HER2+ what are the chances that I still overexpress this gene elsewhere? What can you tell me about HER2 in general and as it relates to my situation.------Judy D.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:30 AM   #2
*_Peggy_*

I also had a smallish tumor with no node involvement. Unfortunately, the HER2+, from what I understand, indicates an aggressive growth factor exists. The Herceptin is supposed to slow that down.

It sounds like you've had so many uncomfortable problems with your port and veins, I couldn't blame you for wanting to take a break from the needles but if this decision was up to me, I'd try to continue with the Herceptin.

Peggy in Florida
Old 04-19-2005, 08:53 AM   #3
Lolly

Judy, if you go to the green menu bar and click on HER2 Gene, you'll find much information on HER2 posivity. If you decide to stay in the study, think about a second opinion with a different surgeon or check with your current surgeon about a different placement for a new port; I had to have my port repositioned and the catheter threaded into a vein in my shoulder due to problems with my first port (different from your's). But, it CAN be placed in a different spot, and a different vein used; one lady I knew at my treatment center even had her port placed in her arm!
I do think it's possible you had spillage and not a "rejection", but at any rate if scarring in the first site prevents placement of another port, a new port site is possible.

<3,
Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 12:43 PM   #4
JudyD

Thank you for your responses, Peggy and Lolly. If you think of anything else, please advise. --JudyD
Old 04-19-2005, 01:18 PM   #5
anne

Hi Judy,
I am sorry to hear about your port troubles. I have to say that I also think the Herceptin is very important. You can try what they call a baby port that is what my mom has. I think that is more for small veins. Try to see another surgeon for the port if your's won't consider it. the other thing is that you are very lucky to have gotten the arm with Herceptin. There are many people really wanting it but have been chosen for the arm without it. All indications is that it is helpful in some way. But no one can decide for you, I can only imagine how difficult it is.
Good luck,
Anne
anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 03:59 PM   #6
linda

Dear Judy
I too had problems with veins and have a port. It works really well and avoid the worry about inserting the needles.I am on Herceptin. I would try to have the port inserted somewhere else or the baby port if possible as it just avoids the anxiety.
love
linda