HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
Cath

Just need to vent - scared

I saw my oncologist today for my 3 month check up. It's been one year since I had my last Herceptin. I once again asked if I could get my port out. I ask every time I see him. He said no after asking me if it was bothering me (it isn't). I've been receiving a PET scan every 6 months since I was diagnosed (July 2011) and I have to have another one in November. My oncologist is the greatest but today he had a student with him and he talked about me as if I wasn't even there. He said I was highly at risk for my cancer to return (didn't say that to me but to the student). I guess I kind of figured that out since he wouldn't let me have my port out and with doing a PET scan every 6 months but hearing him say that kind of scared me. So guess I am just writing for any reassurance. I know there's no guarantees but I really didn't need to hear that. I'm scared enough as it is. Oh well..............it is what it is. Thanks all for listening.

Routine mammogram 6-29-11
Ultrasound 7-5-11
Biopsy 7-11-11
Right modified radical mastectomy 7-18-11 with 7 out of 24 lymph nodes positive
Stage IIIC, Grade 3, Estrogen + 100%, HER2 +
Had 5 tumors in right breast, none of which showed up on the mammogram (What showed up on mamm was a lymph node)
Lymphatic vascular invasion
Lymphedema right arm (started shortly after surgery)
TCH started August 15, 2011
Finished Taxotore and Carboplatin 11-28-11
Radiation x 36 - finished Feb. 3, 2012
Herceptin weekly for 1 year - finished 8-13-12
Arimidex started Feb. 2012 for 5 years
Left prophylactic total mastectomy March of 2012

Arimidex stopped August 2014 due to side effects
Aromasin started Sept. 2014
Cath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #2
KDR

Re: Just need to vent - scared

I would've stopped the doctor right there. I would've asked "if that be the case, why don't you still have me on Herceptin, wouldn't that be prudent? Please ask the student to leave, I must discuss this ALONE with you. You have never mentioned that to ME before." I really resent when doctors "change" or are "different" when students are around. And knowing me, I might have added, "Wow, you really talk about me differently when there's company."

You are a person, somebody's child...ask him/her how he/she would feel if he/she were left to feel like a specimen on a table to be talked about!

Ooooh, I'm so mad.

No excuses on this one.
Diagnosed: June 2010, liver mets. ER-/PR+10%; HER2+++.
July 2010: Begin Taxol/Herceptin. Eliminate sugar from diet. No surgery or radiation.
January 2011: NED
April 2011: Progression in liver only. Other previous affected areas eradicated. Stop Taxol/Herceptin after 32 infusions.
May 2011: Brain MRI: clear.
May 2011: Begin Tykerb daily, Xeloda twice per day for one week on, one week off, and Herceptin.
November 2011: Progression in liver. All other tumors remain eradicated.
December 2011: BEGIN TRIAL #09-093 Taxol, MCC-DM1 (T-DM1), Perjeta.
Trial requires scans every six weeks, bloodwork and infusions weekly.
Brain MRI: clear.
January 2012: NED. Liver mets, good riddance!
March 2012: NED. Developed SMA (rare blood clot) in intestinal artery and loss of sight in right eye due to optical nerve neuropathy. Resolved when Taxol removed this month.
Continue Protocol of T-DM1 weekly and Perjeta every 3 weeks.
May 2012: NED.
June 2012: Brain MRI: clear.
June-December 2012: NED.
December 2012: TRIAL CONCLUDED; ENTER TRIAL EXTENSION #09-037. CT, Brain MRI, bone scan: clear. NED.
January-March 2013: NED.
June 2013: Brain MRI: clear. CEA upticking; CT shows new met on liver.
July 3, 2013: DISASTER STRIKES during liver ablation: sloppy surgeon cuts intercostal artery and I bleed out, lose 3.5 liters of blood, have major hemothorax, and collapsed lung requiring emergency resuscitative thoracotomy, lung surgery, rib rearrangement and cutting deep connective tissue, transfusion. Ablation incomplete. This life-saving procedure would end up causing me unforgiving pain with every movement I make, permanently, otherwise known as forever.
July 26, 2013: Try Navelbine/Herceptin. Body too weak after surgery and transfusion. Fever. CEA: Normal.
August 16, 2016: second dose Navelbine/Herceptin; CEA: Normal. Will skip doses. Watching and waiting.
September 2013: NED, Herceptin only. CEA: Normal. Started Arimidex.
October-November 2013: NED. Herceptin and Arimidex. CEA, CA125, 15-3: Normal.
December 2013: Something brewing. PET lights up on little spot on liver; CEA upward trend, just outside normal. PET and triphasic liver scan confirm Little Met. Restart Perjeta with Herceptin, stay on Arimidex. Genomic sequencing completed for future treatments, if necessary.
January 2014: Ablate Little Met on the 6th. Happy New Year.
March 2014: Brain MRI: clear. PET/CT reveal liver mets return; new lung mets. This is not funny.
March 2014: BEGIN TRIAL #10-005 A(11)-Temsirolimus plus Neratinib.
April 2014: Genomic testing indicated they could work, they did not. Very strange drug combo for me, felt weird.
April 2014: Started Navelbine and Herceptin. Needed something tried and true, but had significant progression.
June 2014: Doxil and Herceptin.
July 2014: Progression. Got nothing out of it. Brain: NED.
July 2014: Add integrative medical hematologist-oncologist to my team. Begin supplements. These are tumor-busting, immune system boosters. Add glutathione, lysine and taurine IV infusions every three weeks.
July 2014: Begin Gemzar, Herceptin & Perjeta. Happy.
August 2014: ECHO perfect.
January 2015: Begin weekly Vitamin D Analog infusions. 25 mcg. via port.
February 2015: CT: stable.
April 2015: Gem working, but not 100%. Looking into immunotherapy. Finally, treatments for the 21st century!
April 2015: Penn Medicine. Dendritic cell immunotherapy.
KDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
'lizbeth

Karen,

I love how you would have handled this. You are a fast thinker.

Cathy, that just was such a bad example for the student to learn to treat patients disrespectfully. I am so sorry that you were put through that.

Maybe its time to shop around for a more sensitive and progressive oncologist. After all - you deserve the best caused you've survived cancer treatment! I don't know if you are going to survive that oncologist, he's awful.

I have a funny story. My husband saw another oncologist while ours was deployed. The doctor was trying to impress a cute intern. So he draws a line with his finger and states "With this cancer everything goes along just fine and then Boom! It's all downhill" Down goes the finger.

My husband and I looked at each other with wide eyes. Scared the crap out of us for years. He's still here, lol, must still be on the going along line.

So if your oncologist is that rude, he's probably wrong too. You'll be around and healthy for a long, long time. You'll show him, lol!

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #4
caya

I agree with Karen on this one Cath...

There is no excuse for this behaviour... Quite frankly, I don't know if I could trust him again after this. At the very least, if it was me, I would send him an email to vent and/or get an appointment with him ASAP to discuss everything.

Sheesh, did this guy flunk Bedside manner 101?

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
Paty

Dear Cathy,

I can immagine your fear. I have been through that so many times just by looking at my oncologist face when he examines each of my control reports, let alone discussing the agressiveness of our bc with another health professional. We are all at high risk, but don't think about it and just erase the thought of your mind. Try to be in peace, that is what we really need, you have received a good treatment. I have friends who have had positive nods and it has been years since they were diagnosed and they are doing fine. Put your life in the hands of God and trust that everything is going to be fine. Do not worry about 'venting' every time you need it, that's is why we are all here for. Lots of love,

Paty
ER-PR+,her2+++
6 FAC
32 Rads
Dx. Lung fibrosis due to radiation
Ended 1 year herceptin in March, 2008
Paty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
tricia keegan

Cathy I'm sorry you had that experience which would have angered me no end, I had my port out a month after my last herceptin and my Onc only does scans in the event of pain or symptoms as why risk the extra radiation small as it is??
Your Onc is not calling the shots here, you are, it should be a team effort and in your case I'd be looking for a new Onc, insisting my port come out (you pay his bills after all) and refusing these six monthly scans unless there's a good reason for them!
You'll read here many times that Herceptin has changed the whole dire diagnosis for those of us who were fortunate to have it with early stage BC, it sounds like your Onc is living in the past to me, and while of course the risks of recurrance are still there we need to go forward with confidence and live our lives, not be reminded of the risks from the person we trust to keep us safe!!
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #7
Cath

Thanks everyone for your support. I knew if anyone would understand it would be all of you.

Ultrasound 7-5-11
Biopsy 7-11-11
Had 5 tumors in right breast, none of which showed up on the mammogram (What showed up on mamm was a lymph node)

Old 08-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #8
starwishn2

WOW... I am angry as well! I changed oncologist's several years ago, when I was dealing with platelet issues, because of the way she treated me and talked about me (called me her "problem patient"). I have been so much happier with my current oncologist. You deserve to be treated with the utmost respect! Maybe if you don't feel comfortable switching right away, you could at least go to another oncologist that is highly recommended, (for their knowledge and empathy) for a second opinion. I agree - if your doc thinks you are high risk - why aren't you on Herceptin?? What is he waiting for.

Hang in there!!
Jeri
ITP playing nice
Diagnosed 3Jul2012 BC

2 cm - Grade 2 - Stage IIB
HER2+++

ER+/PR+
bilateral mastectomy 20Jul2012
Metastasized cancer found 1 lymph node
expanders placed during surgery
TCH chemo "cocktail" started 24Aug2012
every 3 weeks - 6 treatments
Herceptin - 18 treatments
LAST treatment Taxotere & Carboplatin 7Dec2012 -yay!
Continue with Herceptin 26Dec2012

Started Arimidex 01Jan2013 (for 5 years)
Surgery to remove expanders/reconstruction 18Jan2013
Infection in left breast from reconstruction/infection in most nails - SO many meds! 22Feb2013
Left implant not playing nice.... might need to remove and try again - blah! 04Apr2013
3Jul2013 - one year since diagnosis - booo cancer!

15Aug2013 LAST chemo infusion!! YIPPPEEE!!!
13Sep2013 2nd reconstructive surgery.. the FOOBs are looking good!

starwishn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:18 PM   #9
NEDenise

To quote Shakespeare...
"Out, out damn port!"... or something like that!
Seems to me that YOU know more about what's good for you than anyone!
Denise
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:47 PM   #10
karen z

First, I would set up another appt. with your oncologist asap and have a serious talk with him about his behavior in front of the student and you as well as your treatment plan (re continued Herceptin, etc). I would also tell your doctor that you do not ever wish to be "observed" by students again without your permission ahead of time. Docs usually ask if observation is o.k. and you have the right to say "no thanks". I don't know where you live but I think it would likely ease your mind as well as be a good idea to get a second (or even third) opinion about whether other doctors would be doing anything differently or doing more at this point in your recovery. At the very least, your doc has proven that he is incredibly insensitive. I would be pretty annoyed at his behavior (o.k., hurt and angry).
karen z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:13 AM   #11
sarah

Cathy this is upsetting. I agree with Karen, why aren't you still on Herceptin?
I would get another opinion and tell the new onc what the old one said. It would be good to know why he thinks it's likely to return and where he thinks that would happen. At least he's testing you on a regular basis.
take care
health and happiness
sarah
Old 08-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #12
'lizbeth

I love the advice everyone has given. I personally have a hard time being assertive, but being a cancer patient started changing that.

I like the idea of a 2nd opinion. This doctor is not working for you, and you are paying him! the problem is "He's just not that into you." Break up, find Dr. Right

My husband gave me a book by CNN Senior Medical Correspondent Elizabeth Cohen titled "The Empowered Patient"

Here is her advice on finding Dr. Right:

1) Take the doctor on a test drive.
Interview prospective doctors to see if you like the doctor and the staff. Some doctors won't do a "meet and great", so instead go in with a small problem and see how she handles it.

2) Keep your eyes open during the visit.
Is the office full of frustrated patients who have waited for hours? Is the staff attentive? Does the doctor rush you through the visit? Does she interrupt you halfway through your sentences? Are there pharmaceutical reps getting in to see her before you?

3.) Ask how your doctor handles illnesses that occur after hours.
We don't get sick on schedule. What's the plan if you need your doctor on a Saturday, or at midnight? Is she or one of her partners on call? Or will she refer you to an emergency room? While you're checking this out, ask whether during normal office hours you'll be seen by your doctor or one of her partners.

4) Google your doctor.
You can check the medical board for your state to see the status of lawsuits or disciplinary actions. I've personally seen this for a local plastic surgeon (not mine, another.)

5) Do a gut check: Do you like this doctor? Do you think she likes you?
Whether it's a doctor, a date, or a co-worker, we all have pretty good inner barometers for whether we like them or they like us. Listen to that voice. Don't see someone if you don't feel comfortable with her, or if you suspect she isn't comfortable with you. You could be depending on this person through some pretty tough times, and you want to enjoy a good relationship.

Or you can give your oncologist a second chance, but you need to set a strong boundary. He's got to show you a significantly more respect.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #13
Becky

I broke up with my first oncologist. Not everyone knows (or remembers) my story but when I was diagnosed, Herceptin was not yet available unless you were Stage 4. I did dense dose AC followed by taxol. Then radiation. A few weeks after radiation was done, Herceptin did become available and the top oncologists recommended any woman who was 6 months or less from their last chemo to go and get it. I was 3 months out and ironically, had my first post treatment appointment with my oncologist the day after the announcement of Herceptin's availability. We talked and he said I was wrong and it was 6 months from diagnosis. I too was not that assertive even though I sought out other opinions initially and was very informed because of my own research and this board. I paid to see the ASCO webcast the day before LIVE so I knew I was right and told him so. He said my insurance probably won't pay for it (they did) but I said I didn't care. So.... he tells me, I am going to take your blood and monitor your tumor markers - I am going to watch over you (I already knew that everyone gets the CA27/29 everytime you go but this would be my first one). He said he would see me every 3 months. Off he goes! So, I called my initial second opinion medical onc at Sloan Kettering and she gets right back. Yes, she remembers me and yes, Sloan is giving the Herceptin but you must meet the criteria of less than 6 months post your last chemo (weeks later this was changed to 2 years). Since I didn't have my chemo there, she would need me to bring in my medical records. I made an immediate appointment. I called the current onc office and asked for a copy of my records asap. The next day, when I was picking my records up, my onc saw me (and I had just been there the day before) so he asked if I was okay. I said, I am now. Sloan is giving the Herceptin and I need these records to prove that I am 6 months or less from my last chemo.

You know what he said to me? He said, "Becky, all you had to do is ask me to give you the Herceptin." I almost wanted to hit him. I told him I was very clear yesterday. So he says, think about it but he wanted me to get a base line ECHO and gave me a script and made me make an appointment. I did go to Sloan and scheduled Herceptin there about a week after I was supposed to see him but he gave me the Herceptin (so I cancelled at Sloan because it was a far way to go for Herceptin). But here's the catch on when and why I changed oncologists. Remember the tumor marker test and how he was going to watch over me? Well, about 3 weeks go by (3 weeks of weekly Herceptins) and I have an appt before the treatment. And it occurs to me about the tumor marker so I ask, what was my tumor marker reading (I get copies now) and he looks and looks in my chart and goes out of the room and back in and says that it was not run. The nurses will take blood before Herceptin and it will get run. Well, I just lost it with him. I reminded him of the appt and how he was going to watch over me and the tumor marker and no Herceptin and then, the marker wasn't even run? And he says, well Becky, I have alot of patients. Oh man. Can't tell you how I felt - except, you have one less patient now. I switched to his young, new partner who I had heard fantastic things about (and he is fantastic and fantastic to this day).

It was uncomfortable breaking up since I was going to the same medical practice and saw him in the hallways(and saw him alot since I had just started my year of Herceptin) but I never have and never will regret it. My current onc makes me feel like I am his only patient and he is like us (totally up to date on everything and he knows I am and asks ME questions). When I see something cool research wise, I send it to him.

So break ups happen and it changed my life. I also changed gynecologists and family doctor (many times on this until I found the right one). People tend to go to a doctor because it is their doctor - even if they don't like them or can't communicate with them. I say they are employees who you hire to keep you well or to save your life. It's just gotta work - period. You don't stay with a maid who doesn't clean your house the way you want or go to a store whose employees ignore you. Doctors are the same. Someone I have hired to potentially save my life - this is the most important employee.

If a discussion with your doctor does not have the outcome you want and you don't feel comfortable, hire a new one. I did and so do many others.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:32 PM   #14
jaykay

Well said, Becky. I "interviewed" oncologists when I was first diagnosed (after surgery). The one I chose was not the most convenient but was the one who made me feel like I was her only patient as well as having the credentials and specializing in breast cancer. 13 years later we are still together.

Cathy, I think I would have totally lost it if I had been in your shoes. You are an adult who has gone through the bc battles and deserve to be treated with respect. Your doctor sounds like he treats you like a child. I won't tell you what I think you should do; others have expressed that far better than I could. But it's probably time to break up with him!

Best

Janis
BRCA 1 and 2 negative
October, 2012: Bi Mast with tissue expanders, port placement
Final Path: IDC 2.8cm, DCIS, 1/4 sentinal nodes positive (@#$%). Stage IIB
Nov 29, 2012: Begin TCH/6x/every 3 wks, H for 1 year/every 3 weeks.
March 14, 2013: Finished chemo
April 9, 2013: Begin radiation 28x
May 22, 2013: Finished rads
June 1st, 2013: Started Aromasin for 5 yrs.
July 15, 2013: Switched to Letrozole (Femara). Probably for the rest of my life
October 16, 2013: Exchange surgery
October 31, 2013: Finished Herceptin
December 5, 2013: Port removed
Glad this year is over!
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:25 PM   #15
Jackie07

As a patient who had experienced 'undiagnosed' recurrence for 4 years, I actually feel your doctor is one worth retaining. He obviously is concerned with your welfare. He was probably just trying to to give you the information (that you are at high risk for recurrence) in a more implicit way since you'd been anxious to get the port out.

It is standard practice to keep the port for one year after treatment ends. I had my first port out a year after treatment ended (my 'good' arm is actually the bad arm because I'd had paralysis after my first brain tumor surgery more than 20 years ago) Because it's always hard to draw blood from my arms - showed my 'stabbed' finger to my oncologist one time, so I kept the port more than a year after the treatment for the recurrence had ended (at 22 weeks). I was told to get my port 'accessed' every six weeks and I faithfully followed the schedule until I became tired of the nagging - he acted like I was afraid of having recurrence again or having attachment to the port or something ...

Eventually I had the port removed (at about the standard one year after completing treatment = two year after my recurrence diagnosis) by the original surgeon when I received notice that she's leaving the area. And I've got a new oncologist since my oncologist had moved to a hospital near where he lives - about the same time the surgeon had left. My new oncologist is young and nice and does not have the bias that I might be hypochondriac ... [The technicians have been able to use a very thin needle (butterfly?)to access my left (weak) arm - the last two times they were even successful at the first poke!]

Correction: I think I might have kept my 2nd port more than 3 years after treatment had ended.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 08-09-2013 at 06:51 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:02 AM   #16
Cath

Thanks everyone for your concern and advice. I really like and trust my onc and do not want to change. He has been great to me through this whole ordeal and after thinking about what happened I "know" he made a slip up when talking to the student. He would have never hurt or scared me on purpose. I know sometimes words come out of my mouth and afterwards I can just kick myself. Also in all fairness, I probably am at high risk as my 1st PET scan 2 weeks after my mastectomy was questionable. It lit up under my right arm and lit up in one node on the opposite side of my cancer. My onc felt it had a low SUV so thought it was probably inflammation but couldn't be sure. Since then all PETs have been good. I hate the scare every 6 months of getting the PET scan but feel he is watching me very carefully. I know I can demand my Port out but I trust his judgment. So guess it's my fault that the port remains in. As for staying on Herceptin, I had to take the weekly doses as he felt the 3 week dosage would be too hard on me. My ECHO's went down each time I had them so he did not want me to stay on Herceptin forever. Thanks again for all of your replies. It's nice to have people stick up for you especially ones who know what I'm going through.

Ultrasound 7-5-11
Biopsy 7-11-11

Old 08-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #17
lkc Gumby

Hi Cath, You and I were both dxed with stage IIIC BC and the reality is we are at a higher risk then lower stages initially. The paying field does level off with time.

With what occurred with your doc, I think the doctor simply missed the mark when discussing your case with a colleage in front of you. It happens and is regretable, but does not negate his overall care of you.
I remember my first 3 month appt with my unbelieveably talented surgeon who blurted out" wow, who wouda thought?!" meaning he was surprised that I hadn't progressed. I was shocked, but I knew he was the best and now to this day, I joke with him. Doctors are human. It's not what they say it's what they do or don't do that really matters. Having said that I think we all need to feel totally comfortable with our docs, as I think this trust is imperative to us getting well. If you don't trust your doctors judgement or if you fel he is not treating you with respect then its time to change.

Regarding the port. It may not physically bother you, but if you feel it's trapping you from moving on, insist on it's removal. I did and I am happy it was out. After all, in theunlikley case of a recurrence a port placement is simple.
I wish you all the best!

Dxed Stage IIIC May 05, 12 pos nodes
er/pr -neg,Her -pos
LVI
Right partial mast & partial axillary dissection-June14,2005
Right modified mast-no clear margins- June 30, 2005
DD AC x4
Taxotere X4 with Herceptin
Rads x 35( 5 fields )
Left prophylactive mast( atypia & hyperplasia found ),
put on Tamoxifen x 1 yr; D/ced due to endometrial thickening
bilateral recon (saline implants)May 06
Nipple recon July 06
metformin 2010
removal of implants due to severe encapsulation, insertion of gummies 2013
Reclast Q yr
NED!!!
lkc Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:12 AM   #18
'lizbeth

Well you need to talk to your oncologist. I let things go and it really caused me a lot of unnecessary pain and stress. I advise that you need to let him know how you were affected by the last appointment.

When you are ready give the office a call, and schedule an appointment.

Go with your instincts. If you don't feel you need the port, then it is coming out. It means you won't need it. The doctor may not know but your body does. We are women, we have good intuition.

Have him do the follow up, but I believe you will be just fine.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #19
Lien

Hi Cathy,

I agree with those who said the behavior was unacceptable, but if he is a good doc, and if you trust him, it might be best to just mention how you felt after his words. You wouldn't have to confront him, but just let him know that his words hurt you. If he is a good doc, he will understand and apologize. You could say something like: You know, last time when I was here, you were talking to a student, and you said that I had a high risk of recurrence. Somehow that really hit me very hard. I was upset for a couple of days afterwards, even though I knew in the back of my mind that my prognosis wasn't stellar. After two years I had begun to relax a bit, and your words brought back the fear and anxiety. It was also quite a shock to hear you talking to the student as if I wasn't there. Could you please not do that again?" If he starts to argue, just tell him: "I can't change how your words made me feel at the time." And just leave it at that.

I also think that he is being careful by leaving the port in. I read in your signature that your tumor wasn't visible on the mammo. Do they use the port for the Pet scans? Do they use it for taking blood samples? I am pleased he is doing regular Pet scans, so he can nip any recurrences in the bud.

Your risk of recurrence was probably highest during the first couple of years after diagnosis. After two years, you are over the first hump. At my two year appointment my doc shook my hand with a big smile on his face and said: "Congratulations! You made it past the first two years without a recurrence. That's a good sign."

I have been in Cancerland for 9,5 years now, and I know many people were diagnosed with stage III initially who never had a recurrence. I even know several people who were diagnosed initially with stage IV and returned to NED status. We don't know who will recur, so we might as well live as if we belong to the happy few who never recur. That way, we will at least have had a good time for a while.

I'm not saying that's easy to do. It took me quite a while, even though I had a more favorable diagnosis, but believe me, mine was scary to me.

I hope all the suggestions you received have been helpful and have given you some peace of mind.

Hugs

Jacqueline
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:30 PM   #20
Adriana Mangus

Well said Pati!

Love,

Addie
2003- Recur to rt lung.July 16 ( B-Day!)
Her2+++ Er,Pr, Negative
2003 - Aug04--Navelbine + Herceptin
2004- 2007--
NED - Herceptin, only
2007 Feb-April Xeloda added to hereceptin
2007-May Back on Navelbine+Herceptin
2008-Feb-Mar 15 Ses Rad to Rt. Lung
2008- Oc 17 Add Tykerb to Herceptin
2009- June-- Discont Tykerb
2009 July 7--Current Taxol + Herceptin
2009 Dec--Discontinued treatment due to progression. Looking into cyberknife.
2010-Aug Accepted to TDM1, no SE, except liver count went up.
2010-2011 September got kicked out of the trial, due to a small spot found on lung.
2011- 2012 September thru early 2013 on Herceptin
2013- March Bone density shows small spot on 5th rib.
2013 - April 4th appt with onc. will post after discussing course of treatment.
2013-March-April Cyber knife to brain and radiation to rib. Chest --base line before chemo-CT-Scan stable for lung issue. CA2729 Normal.
2013 April Herceptin- TDMI
2013 Sept Herceptin + Perjeta . CA2729 within normal range. Brain and Pet scans October 31st. will post results.
2013 October Brain MRI- mixed response. Will see Onc/rad on Halloween.
2013 October/November Brain-MRI nothing new. Repeat MRI next year in May.

2013 December Continue Herceptin and Perjeta. Stable at the moment.
2014 February Brain MRI -clear!
2014 January Added Taxotere to Perjeta+Herceptin.
2014 March Stopped chemo-chest ct-scan next.

2014- March Scans shows tumor's larger, CA2729 higher. Discontinue Herceptin.
2014 April Perjeta+ Halaven
2014 April CA2729 went down 60 points after one cycle. Cough does not want to go away.
2014 June Continue on Perjeta + Halaven-- no more cough. Stable
2014 June Back on Herceptin + abraxane
Adriana Mangus is offline   Reply With Quote