HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-14-2006, 08:39 PM   #1
Unregistered

Herceptin and Aromasin

Hi,

My name is Barb. I am registered but cannot remember my password. Anyway, I would like to hear from those of you who are doing Herceptin as well as Aromasin in combination with having the ovaries removed. I was diagnosed stage IIIa, with 6 out of 14 nodes, Her2nu+++, ER 90%, PR 10%. Had a lumpectomy, dense dose Adriamyacin/Cytoxin (4) and Taxol (4), then radiation. Periods came back after chemo. I tried to do 7 months of zoladex - made me out of my mind. Took out both ovaries a year ago, and started herceptin every 3 weeks for a year. Have been tolerating the herceptin okay for 6 months - just having some trouble with weight gain, and redistributed body fat!

I just saw my Onc that follows me at the Mayo (I get my herceptin here in Dayton, OH) and he says I have to do the Aromasin too. I know I shouldn't probably question it too much, but is one more expensive pill to add to my stuff to take. I thought by taking out the ovaries, I would be okay. I want to know if there is a test they can do to monitor whatever it is they are blocking (whatever estrogen is left in the adrenals, etc.) I know there is a standard pill to take, but does it ever something that becomes toxic, because of excessive levels in the body? What are the side effects of the herceptin and aromasin together? Am I really getting a big benefit on top of already having the ovaries out?
I have been on the herceptin now for almost 6 months for prevention - have another 6 months to go. Today, I am 3 years clean. I just want to make an informed decision. Thanks all. Barb H.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:17 PM   #2
mamacze

Hi Barb,
It sounds like you have been through the mill and are just getting sick and tired of all these treatments. I have been on Herceptin since May 2004 but I have never been on Aromisan so I cannot help you with that one. As you know you have come to the right place; I am sure one of the ladies here can help you.
Good luck!
Kim from CT
mamacze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 10:52 PM   #3
Lyn
A Living Legend

Hi there, I have been on Aromasin with Herceptin for a while, and it definately works as an eostrogen blocker. Whenever I have my PAP smear test I have to use a cream called ovastatin for a week before, as I show an irregular result if I don't, meaning without it the cream, there is no eostrogen and makes it look like there is a problem when there isn't. I have had to stop the Aromasin this time around because my onc wants the cancer cells to grow so the chemo can knock them out, well the cells grew and the chemo didn't do its job. One time when I was waiting for radation for some enlarged lymph nodes in my neck, I was taking the Aromasin and the lumps disappeared so the Aromasin does do some good work and I didn't need the rads that time. I have had no side effects what so ever with it, hope this helps, also Aromasin is aparently better than Tamoxefin.

Love & Hugs Lyn
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 08:09 AM   #4
kk1

Hi Barbara;

I am on herceptin and aromasin and it works well for me, stage IV and Ned for almost 2 years. The audio links below are very good and might help you make you decisions. This is a great site for information. You can go to www.peerviewpress.com and then type in the topic you want in the search box and it will return all sort of peer reviewed multi-media web viewable presentations as well as text.

http://www.peerviewpress.com/search....e=PVP&edition=

what did you mean zoladex made you crazy? I am premenopausal and get zoladex shots.

kk1
kk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 08:16 PM   #5
HavahJ

I'm on both

I am on herceptin and aromasin also with no problems with the combination. I don't think I get any effect from the aromasin. (If aromasin is taken with a cox-2 inhibiter suppose to be a good combination). Herceptin and aromasin are very different drugs, a hormone stopper and a targered biologic. I am followed by Mayo also - which Mayo do you go to?
HavahJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 03:53 PM   #6
Unregistered

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the input. The zoladex shots made me feel very moody and I had a very bad time on it. I will say since I had my ovaries out, I am on a low dose of zoloft (50mg), which has me somewhat stable. The Mayo Clinic that follows me is in Rochester, MN. I really feel like they saved my life. The year I was diagnosed, my Mom, then me, then my sister were all diagnosed with breast cancer within 1year - so we went to the Mayo Clinic to get some answers. What is unbelievable is that is was determined to be 'environmental' and not genetic - but I don't know the cause. Also, they found out my surgeon here in Dayton did not get clean margins, so 2 weeks after my last dense dose chemo with 8 TXs of AC/Taxol, I underwent a 2nd surgeon to get clean margins, before doing the radiation. Also, the Mayo was who recommended the Herceptin for a year (I had been off chemo since Jul 2003 before starting Herceptin Sep 2005). Thank you all for your support.

Barb