HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-15-2005, 10:27 AM   #1
Sandy H

Herceptin/shortness of breath

I looked in previous postings but did not see this question. I had a muga scan done last week. It showed at 52%. I know that is with in normal range. I have noticed recently, I am short of breath climbing stairs and I am very tired. I will of course talk to my doctor but I like to see what others are experiencing. My other mugas showed .63 so I don't know how to compare this. I was told when I had this last muga done that they are being done differently. Has anyone experienced this with their muga showing just above 50%? I am wondering if I need a break from the Herceptin? My oncologist said that I had had lots of Herceptin but I know there are some here that have had much more then I have. Hugs, Sandy
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 10:51 AM   #2
TriciaK

Sandy, I think there was a thread running a short while back, if I remember right, about shortness of breath after herceptin. Several commented on it. I have noticed more shortness of breath now that I am on 3Xaweek herceptin. I would wake up about 4 AM feeling pressure on my chest and very short of breath, almost like a panic attack. I have oxygen available and it would help, but my husband was very concerned because I had had a heart attack in June, '04, just before lung mets were discovered. In fact, as some of you know, the lung mets(her2+++) were discovered because of the heart attack (a blessing in disguise since I'd been NED for close to 15 years and was not even of thinking of more mets, and I would probably not have found them in time) My last muga was 58, by the way. I talked to my onc about the latest shortness of breath and pressure and he was concerned about either more heart problems or a lung blood clot, but he suggested I try water pills for a week and see if they made a difference. They definitely did. The shortness of breath and pressure is gone now or at least rare and subdued. The other main thing I have noticed with the herceptin is a "drippy" nose. Claritan helps that. I do get tired more easily, but when I mentioned to my chiropractor that I've never felt so tired, he said "so you've never been 75 before, either, have you?" So that is my self-comment now, whenever! Actually, I amaze myself at how much more energy I have now than I had a year ago on navelbine and herceptin. So I count the blessings and deal with the rest! The shortness of breath is a concern and I hope you will check it out and check out the former thread on it, too. Hugs, Tricia
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 02:50 PM   #3
madubois63

Hi Sandy - It's been a while since I've been to this board. I saw your message and thought I'd say hello and add my two sense. I did experience shortness of breath and the pressure from the Herceptin. Three months ago, I dropped to a 47 (from a 56) on the MUGA. My onc gave me three months off from the Herceptin and my MUGA is now up to a 64 (YEAH). I will go back on the Herceptin soon with mixed emotions.
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol
Tamoxifen 4 1/2 yrs
Radiation - 32 x
Metastatic BC lung/liver 10/04
thorocentesis 2x - pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carbo
Femera/Lupron
BC NED 4/05
chemo induced Acute Myeloid Leukemia 5/06
Induction/consolidation chemo
bone marrow transplant - 11/3/06
Severe Host vs Graft Disease of liver
BC mets to lung 11/07
Fasoladex Herceptin Zometa Xeloda
GVHD/Iron overload to liver
Avascular Necrosis/morphine pump 10/10
metastatic brain tumor
steriotactic radiosurgery
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 05:24 PM   #4
Sandy H

Thanks Tricia and Mary Ann, that is what I am experiencing. I will call on Monday and see what my doctor says. So will just lay low the weekend and that will be easy to do as it is raining buckets here in Maine. hugs, Sandy
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 09:34 PM   #5
Lolly

Sandy, I was one who posted in the earlier thread that I've had some shortness of breath after my Herceptin. It hasn't been very severe, and only lasts a day, so I haven't worried too much so far. But, I just had a MUGA on Friday and will be interested (to put it mildly) to compare it to my last MUGA of a year ago, which was 55%. Previously I've had Echo's and they have always been in the mid 50's range. So it appears I stable at a "low normal" range, but as you know I just finished the vaccine trial and one of the concerns is the effect on the heart muscle, so I'll post the result for sure.
I've been on Herceptin for 4+ years (5 come January).

<3,
Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote