HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-08-2006, 08:28 AM   #1
marymary

Bone Scan Yesterday

Yesterday I had a bone scan. My doctor's been after me to have one and most recently I've had a pain in my back/side, underneath my lowest rib.

I managed to get a look at one view of the scan and sure enough, there was a little light in this spot. The tech said it is where my lower rib connects with my spine, and is more likely to be arthritis. I do have some degenerative disease: an old spot on my foot (dancing?), hips were lightly glowing (dancing, gardening?). I am just all aglow! One other "weirdness" is the long upper bones in my legs, the Femur(s) are darker than the others. The technician said that if he didn't know better, he'd say I was a runner. I am not a runner, but I do keep pretty active. The Tech and I were just trying to be very glib and we both agreed it was time to cut back on my tennis (in my dreams!).

A PET/CT is scheduled for Wednesday, so maybe I'll know more then. I want so badly to get in the U of Washington study, so hopefully these little lit areas are just degnerative changes. It is very difficult not to worry, especially when there's a persistent pain in my back/side. I wonder if arthritis could be the cause. The nurses suggested I take Advil, 600 mg. 3x's/day. That's a lot of Advil.

I can't feel my liver and there is no pain at all when I push in that area.

These tests are so anxiety producing. It's hurry, hurry, hurry to arrive on time, wait and wait to begin the test (which takes all day) and then wait and wait some more to find out if there are any trouble spots.

I am dreading hearing bad news, dreading being back on chemo, besides Herceptin, that is. If this is cancer then it's progressing on Herceptin. I know, I know, I am borrowing trouble. Don't we all have enough already?

Sign me,

Worry Wart

(mary)
marymary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 04:49 PM   #2
Carol.hope

Hi Mary. I'm no expert, but since no one else has replied to you yet, let me at least say that I can certainly relate to the stress of waiting for all these tests and then the results. Sounds like you handle the process really well, with the joking, for example. But then a good cry might help, too, huh?!

What I want to offer is some alternatives to Advil (ibuprofen). I took a lot (800mg 3x/day) for back pain, which my MDs said was ok, for several years. It was my vitamin I. I could not imagine having to go off it for months after my spinal fusion surgery. After my cancer diagnosis, I found some info that shows possible links between ibuprofen and cancer. So I'm off it for good now.

What helps me is a whole bunch of supplements, of which it seems the MSM makes the most difference in pain. I take 4 grams 2x/day. (start with 500mg and build up). As for the anxiety, I have to keep reminding myself to breath deeply and try to get to that meditative state. I have a little "biofeedback" toy from Sharper Image that helps (put two fingers in and hear the pitch go up with your anxiety, and work on lowering it). Also, calling a supportive buddy for a good cry really does seem to help (the buddy has to agree first to a certain amount of time not to interrupt or try to get you to stop!).

I'll breathe a little for both of us, during this terrible waiting time. Isn't it good to have this web site to go to? Healing thoughts to you. - Carol

dx June '05 at age 55
Stage 1, 1.5cm
ER+++, PR--, HER2+++
Lumpectomy, A/C, T/H
Herceptin stopped due to low LVEF (35%)
2010: NED, but continuing major chemo brain injury
www.BeyondChemoBrain.com
Carol.hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 05:05 PM   #3
dawn

Hi, I know how you feel. i just had my bone scan on July3rd. They told me it would take 7-10 days to get results back to my onc. Im on pins and needles until this week so I can phone in and ask whats going on, is it good or bad. I just keep telling myself everything is going to be fine and until someone tells me differently, Im not going to let myself belive otherwise.
Here's to yours coming up aces also
Dawn

Mar 2006Stage IIIA, Her2/Neu 3+++, Er & Pr positive, 8 of 18 pos 03/14/06: Mastectomy 04/19/06 started Chemo adriamycin, chlophosphamide, taxotere 25 rads
Nov 1, 06: 3 years Tamoxifen, Herceptin (1yr)
Jan 2009 Femara mets to bone aromasin and aredia
June2009: Full Histerectomy
2/22/2010 6 spots in liver 2 mm-10 mm: switched to xeloda and Herceptin will continue with Aredia J
Scan February 2011 new onc, switch to abraxane
April 2011 NED clear organs, 3 spots on bone scar tissue.
Scans August 2mm spot on liver and lungs. now on to tykerb/xeloda
Dec 2011 scans nothing on lungs, liver down to 1 2 mm spot. j
une 2012 another spot on liver on to cisplatin/gemzar.

dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 05:13 PM   #4
Patty H

I'm not sure about bone scans but this last year I learned after a c-scan or a pet scan, I can go the next day where I had the test and ask for a written report. This sure helped me. I still have to wait till I see my Dr. to discuss them, but I can read and this way I am ready to talk to my Dr. and I know what to ask etc. Patty H
Patty H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 05:15 PM   #5
Carol.hope

Here's a link with some alternatives to ibuprofen. R.B. keeps telling us to take fish oil - here it is again! http://www.mercola.com/2005/jun/16/pain_killers.htm- Carol

dx June '05 at age 55
Stage 1, 1.5cm
ER+++, PR--, HER2+++
Lumpectomy, A/C, T/H
Herceptin stopped due to low LVEF (35%)
2010: NED, but continuing major chemo brain injury
www.BeyondChemoBrain.com
Carol.hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 06:23 AM   #6
tousled1

Mary,

I know how you feel waiting for the results of tests and yet having more scheduled. Just remember, the tech is only a tech, it's the doctor who reads the tests. I've had bone scans, CTs, PET scan, MRIs, etc. I always asked the tech how it looked and the reply was always "your doctor will receive the results in a day or two." Just hang in there and try and think positive thoughts.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote