HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-12-2013, 11:45 PM   #1
linn65

It has been a good week, until today

I couldn't focus today, my body aches, tingly hands and to top it off my emotions went from 0 to 10 I think. I had my herceptin on Tuesday and it seems it builds up in my mind, body and spirit. Then I have a couple hour cry, and I am drained. I work on doing proactive things ; cleaned house, visited a friend, and went to nursing home to see my dad recovering from open heart. Also, my son is home from college 7 hours away and he stopped in my office for 10 minutes and he was off.. But he told me ex husband and his new livin GF bought all new appliances, making our old two car garage there bedroom, putting on a new deck and life is good/great couldn't get any better. Then I had emotion over that. 20 year marriage and divorced for 5. In this last year of me going thru treatment he has been the happiest in his life. I have had so much reflection this year. Knowing our son will never have a family unit, our grandchildren will have to go too different grandparents. Then the feeling of loneliness with cancer in my own head. I have more self doubt and question everything i do and I have done. Geez , is herceptin bring on full blown PMS. I have to do better and this isn't working for me.
7/20/12 biopsy done. ER+ 30 PR -, HER+++,k167 80% Grade 2
9/2012 biopsy on lymph node - showed malignant

9/2012 Pre-adjunctive TCH chemo.

12/6/12 MRI after Pre-adj.
Results: Modest Decrease in size of left breast malignancy As well as the associated satellite lesions and auxiliary Adenopathy compared to prior study. Doctors hoped for better but good response it didn't grow.

12/18/2012 left masectomy with axillary nodes
Size 3.2 CM, Nottingham score 9/9
Grade 3, no evidence of in situ carcinoma
Areas of angiolymphatic are identified
Carcinoma is 0.5 cm from inked deep
Margin of excision
Attached axillary lymph nodes: metastatic
Carcinoma in 6 of 8 nodes.
Size of largest node 1.5 cm
Extracapsular
ER + 73%, PR+2%, HER2+

2/27/13 6 weeks of IMRT radiation finished

2/2013 Started on Tamoxifan 5 years.

8/2013 will take last Herceptin, 17 treatments total every 3 weeks.

BRCA1 & BRAC2 - Negative

August 28, 2013 DIEP flap on the left breast.
February 2014 Nip & Tuck
March 14, 2014 nipple reconstruction and removed port.
August 14, 2014 lump in lymph nodes under arm and above clavicle. Stage IV
August 28, 2014 herceptin And projeta starting and port put back in.

3/18/15 stopped arimidex.
3/18/15 progression....Tdm1
linn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:35 AM   #2
Jackie07

Re: It has been a good week, until today

Lynn,

I feel for you.

It's unavoidable to experience the pain again when you are confronted with the reality. He's having a good time/life and you are not. He's busy building new stuff and you are still trying to heal - both physically and psychologically.

Your reflection and resolve will carry you through. I read your post in awe! What an amazing woman!

Sending you good vibes from the wild, wild West...

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:56 AM   #3
linn65

Really? That made me cry because you don't think I am crazy for having these feelings. Why does it hurt me so much? Because I can see a future for them, and mine is messy and it could be messy again, and I can't dream in my head of a future for me. So I am feeling sorry for myself, and I need to toughen up. Does herceptin cause more emotion the week or?

Results: Modest Decrease in size of left breast malignancy As well as the associated satellite lesions and auxiliary Adenopathy compared to prior study. Doctors hoped for better but good response it didn't grow.

Margin of excision
Extracapsular
ER + 73%, PR+2%, HER2+

BRCA1 & BRAC2 - Negative

February 2014 Nip & Tuck

Old 07-13-2013, 02:24 AM   #4
Jackie07

When I was undergoing chemo treatment (Taxatere, Carboplatin, Herceptin), it took me 4 days to recover after the infusion. I had infusion on Thursday afternoon around 4:30 pm. I went to work fine on Friday. Then I collapsed on Saturday and slept whole day Sunday. Then miraculously I was good to go back to work on Monday morning!il (though still tired easily)

It's natural for us to have self-doubt during treatment. Our body is busy fighting the disease, it's hard for us to spare our energy on anything else. And yes, we get much more sensitive than usual during this time period. Having tears is actually not a bad thing. Sometimes a good counselor can help us sort out things. It won't hurt to talk to a professional if you are still feeling like a mess.

I was introduced to a term called 'unresolved complex' - I was crying like a baby when a job counselor casually asked me: "How did you lose your job?" The job loss had happened more than 2 years prior and I'd already been working full-time - though not in the professional field I'd been trained for. The job counselor told me that I had unresolved complex and insisted that I see a psychiatrist! "So now I'm crazy?" I sobbed even more!

But I knew I needed help, so I got a referral from my family doctor (couldn't help crying while making the phone call) On the appointment day, the staff in the department seemed to have conspired together: everyone I met would ask me the same question: "So how did you lose your job?"

After I'd shed tears and told the story for the 4th (?) time, the question suddenly ceased to bother me ...

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 07-13-2013 at 02:59 AM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:55 AM   #5
Cat

You are VERY normal. Our lives have been put on hold in many ways while we watch the changes that happen with others. I agree you should call your Dr. I saw a psychologist for awhile and it helped to talk about those things no one wants to hear. She also suggested wellbutrin and I'm sure it helps without removing my emotions. Good luck
bilat mastectomy w/TRAM
32 rads
9/08 recurrance 4 sternal nodes
mediastinoscopy, able to remove 3
taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin, x6
continue herceptin indefinately
5/10 recurrance in same node/area
mediastinoscopy, removed nodes
added tykerb
27 rads
10/18/10 PET shows inflammation no active disease
8/2011 recurrence one right mediastinal node, xeloda and proton radiation to node.
D/C xeloda due to toxicity
12/5 PET scan clear
2/2012 colon blockage, breast cancer
(never thought it could go there! thought I was constipated)
start abraxane, herceptin, continue tykerb
10/2012 Kidney ablation (renal CA!)
3/2013 CT and biopsy R kidney (BC met to R kidney)
4/4/2013 Begin Kadcyla
7/30/13 Craniotomy cerebellar mets, 1.7cm 3cm
Sept 4-6 post op cyberknife
Sept 23 ablation right kidney (blow up pesky breast ca met)
Oct headaches MRI Oct 10 (only surgical changes ! Yay!)
Short of breath. CT, pulmonary function, echo
New crap in right lung heart good. Pooh!
12/13 DC kadcyla. Begin halaven
2/14 MRI brain NED Yay!
4/3/14 CT mostly stable but breast mets r kidney growing
4/16/14 ablation right kidney again
Continue halaven, tykerb
dc halaven gemzar?
2nd opinion May 14
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #6
karen z

Hi. I got divorced the morning of May 10th, 2005 (after a 23 year old marriage) and found out later that afternoon (through a mammogram/sonogram/frank radiologist) that I had breast cancer (my internist had found the lump). I had no time to even think about my divorce or understand that it had really happened as I was immediately thrown into "cancer land". About one year later (after the more difficult part of my treatment was over....still doing Herceptin) I found myself crying almost non-stop. I saw my internist (who was quite knowledgeable about anti-depressants) and, for the first time in my life, I started to take one. That and "talk therapy" (during those times I have gone) have helped a lot. I still am not really "over" my divorce. It is not that I think we made each happy (really the opposite) but I am still emotionally attached and he is my daughter's dad (and he is a great dad). My ex-husband and I remain friends but I do not think I will every totally get over that specific loss .......as I will never get over the death of my dad when I was eight or the death of my mom. What I am trying to say (while rambling) is that I think your feelings are very normal (I do think the less specific details you get of your ex-husband's adventures the better- not saying a moratorium on information but the specifics might lead you to think more about them more or imagine more) and that you might try talk therapy (shop around for a good therapist) as well as something for depression. Remember that you do not have to take an anti-depressant forever and remember to check everything with your oncology team. That just reminded me. My hospital has a cancer wellness program that is available to anyone who is a current or former cancer patient (at my hospital or others). Do you have such a center near you? Often, such centers include a lot of activities with others going through (or having gone through) the same thing as you and are free. Ours has free consults with a nutritionist, a counselor support groups and on and on (yoga, drumming, mindfulness training). See if you can find something like that and go. Good luck and keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.
karen z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:32 AM   #7
CarolineC

Hi,

For one thing, you are trying to deal with the physical side effects of having Herceptin and Tamoxifen and I want to reassure you that I went through the same emotions as you. The week I would have my Herceptin for early stage treatment and I was on Tamoxifen I would notice more, let's say, emotion. Now, during my ongoing treatment, I am on Letrozole and I still notice more susceptibility to being emotional and my immune system (ie allergies) will be more sensitive as well the week of my Herceptin treatment.

Your hormones are being hit as the Tamoxifen lowers your estrogen levels. That is a physical effect as well as an emotional one.

I see in this last week that the only thing you did for you was visit a friend. Seeing your dad in the hospital after what he has gone through is stressful. You love him and you hurt for him. Work is stressful, cleaning the house might clear your mind, but it's still work. Then you hear about your ex's supposed great life. You will have a great life as well, and you are doing everything you should to ensure that happens-look how far you've come!

Everyday I am so envious of the people who live in the land of the living carefree, including the ones who have had their cancer treatment and are looking at everything in the rearview mirror and I think, after four years of dealing with this illness, some people's support has expired. They're tired. I'M tired.

I am part of an in-person support group that helps me and I am proud to be a part of this one-you guys get it.

I hope each day gets brighter for you and that you focus on doing WAY more positive to balance out the negative. You are not alone.
4 x AC, 4 x Paclitaxol and H (Neupogen for 7 cycles), Herceptin complete Nov 10
Mar–Apr 2010 25 Rads
Apr 10-Oct 11- Tamoxifen
Oct 11 – 3 cm met to sternum
Oct 11-Letrozole for 3 mths, start Clasteon-bone remodeller
Nov-Dec 11 - Happy 50th Birthday -20 rads to sternum
Jan-April 2012 Taxotere/Herceptin-6 cycles (Neupogen for 5)
Herceptin every 3 weeks-Letrozole added Nov 2012
CarolineC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #8
linn65

I typed a long reply and all of a sudden I was logged out and it disappeared. And it's too much to type over, 😔

Recap of what I wrote: I miss family; eating to loud, being to loud, or going in the other room so I can watch my own program. All my family have family, and I wake up to a quiet house. I have always been busy and cancer stuff has me slowed down. Then when I am feeling really good I push and want to go hard because I don't know I will feel the next day.

Now, two treatments left....you might as well say I am done with treatment and I am NED and really most Checked out after TcH. I get it everyone has family and lives. I came to this board because its a safe place for me. It's okay to be whatever I want to be, and it seems everyone understands. I tell people the feelings I had they don't know what to say. Or you are being negative and you need to think positive and you have more important things to worry about you have cancer. Or tell me all your complaints but then say but you have cancer I shouldn't complain. Then I have to go into reassure mode when visiting. Idk maybe it's just life.

Tamox does something to your estrogen but what does that do? And herceptin does something to your hormones but what does that do?

Margin of excision
Extracapsular
ER + 73%, PR+2%, HER2+

BRCA1 & BRAC2 - Negative

February 2014 Nip & Tuck