HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #41
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
My Wife Rachel Was Just Diagnosed With HER-2+ Breast Cancer (Please Help ...)

A friend/cancer survivor told me recently about Claritin and Neulasta.

When I was on chemo Neulasta or Neupogen were only given if your white blood cell count was too low to get chemo. Now they offer this as a regular course of treatment.

I do recall bone pain which I accepted as I knew I needed to boost my white blood cells and I "wanted" to get chemo. It was necessary. It was my lifeline. Pulling me through rough waters, to get to my goal...

Now I understand they have discovered that Claritin taken the day before (Neulasta shot) and once a day for a full week -- helps to prevent bone pain.

This article is a year old but interesting.

Claritin and Neulasta | We interrupt Walbridge's regularly scheduled program...

With a great attitude Rachel, and a super loving husband -- you will do well I believe. Still, I will add some prayers in your name, envisioning you bathed in radiant white Light of healing...

To better days... one baby step at a time... one day at a time... there is a light at the end of the tunnel...!

Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:49 PM   #42
NEDenise

Re: My Wife Rachel Was Just Diagnosed With HER-2+ Breast Cancer (Please Help ...)

Ben,
Prayers headed up for you and the beautiful Rachel!
I'll be thinking of you both tomorrow.
Denise
4/12/11-A/C x 4, then T/H x 4, H only,Q3 weeks
8/26/11 finished Taxol!!!
10/7/11 mastectomy/DIEP recon
11/11 radiation x28
1/12/12 1st CANCER-VERSARY!
1/12 Low EF/Herceptin "Holiday" :(
2/12 EF up - Back on Herceptin, heart meds
4/2/1212 surgery to repair separated incision from DIEP recon
6/8/12 Return to work :)
6/17/12 Fall, shatter wrist,surgery to repair/insert plate :(
7/10/12 last Herceptin
7/23/12 Brain Mets %$&#! 3cm and 1cm
8/10/12 Gamma knife surgery, LOTS of steroids;start H/Tykerb
8/23/12 Back to work
12/20/12 Injure back-3 weeks in wheel chair
1/12/13 2nd CANCER-VERSARY!
1/14/13 herniate disk in back - surgery to repair
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
5/3/13 Start Avastin to shrink necrosis
5/10/13 begin weaning steroids
6/18/13 Brain MRI - Avastin seems to be working!
6/20/13 quarterly CT - chest, abdomen, pelvis - All Clear!
7/5/13 finally off steroids!!
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
7/13/13 Symptoms return - back on steroids
7/26/13 Back on Avastin - try again!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
9/9/13 Brain MRI - fingers crossed
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:28 AM   #43
Aussie Girl

Smile Re: My Wife Rachel Was Just Diagnosed With HER-2+ Breast Cancer (Please Help ...)

Hi, Ben and Rachel, I am new to this site and that may explain why I can't get the paragraphing to stay in the post. I am 50 years old and was just diagnosed in mid June with node negative Her2 positive ER negative invasive duct carcinoma with a large field of DCIS. My tumour was 31mm (invasive) with 49mm DCIS, but no LVI. I had left mastectomy after initial lumpectomy, because of the size of the DCIS. I am Australian and I happen to be a pathologist in a rural town. I am usually presenting breast cancer cases at multidisciplinary meetings, not being presented as a case at the meetings! I work in the laboratory next door to the oncology unit. So this is an Australian viewpoint for you, although it seems you have made most of your decisions by now. 1. Is TCH the best chemotherapy regimen for her? Do we really need chemo? - Yes and yes. Chemotherapy has been proven beneficial in large trials for early HER2 positive cancer. Our therapy is heavily influenced by Dr Slamon's work, also. In Australia, AC-TH therapy is still used for early breast cancer, particularly if there are positive nodes, but TCH is increasingly used because of the lesser cardiac toxicity. I've chosen TCH and yes, I'm scared but what choice is there - I've got to get any remnant of my little monster zapped so I can live to hold my grandchildren in my arms. Given that my kids are only 14 and 17, that's at least 10 years away (I hope).... and yes, I did go in afterwards to look at my own pathology slides! TH alone isn't really used here much in this setting. Most chemotherapy drugs are paid for by the Australian government. For TCH the government won't supply Neulasta unless your neutrophils count falls below a certain level. It is supplied routinely for AC-TH. The government lags a bit behind the medical evidence sometimes, but it is great how much it pays for. Takes time for new treatments to be added, though. 2. Should we have the second surgery to get clear margins? Would it be better to try radiation to get clear margins? - Absolutely. Radiologist love clear margins. If can't be cleared surgically by adequate margins, radiotherapy may still be required. Radiotherapy is so well targeted now with few side effects in most cases. It's considered a walk in the park compared to chemo here. 3. Should the left nipple also be removed during the next surgery because of the Paget's on the right. Does the skin around the nipple need to be removed from the right side? - The left nipple definitely does not have to be removed. The risk is negligible. BTW It was not recommended for me to have my other breast removed, despite my breasts being difficult, because of fibrosis. However, I did briefly consider it. I do not have a family history and I am older than Rachel. My remaining breast will likely have to be screened with Ultrasound and MRI, given my 3cm lesion was impalpable and not detectable on mammogram (picked up at breast screen on US). But as a perk of my job, I don't have to pay for my MRIs, which may have influenced my choice. My oncologist considered this a personal choice, to be based on how anxious I would be about having repeated screening. 4. The surgeon plans to put in a neck portacath during the next surgery to be used for chemo. Is this the best type of catheter to have? - Almost everyone gets a portacath for this chemo in Australia. Mine is called a Power Port and sits on my outer chest near my right shoulder (at the time of mastectomy). Felt like it was inserted with a sledge hammer but now after 2 & 1/2 weeks, feels fine. Will make life much easier. One other different thing here is that BRCA testing is only offered to a small proportion of patients with breast cancer, based on family history, age of patient and type of tumour (more likely if early onset, triple negative cancer and patient has a first degree relative with cancer.) You have to have been seen by a clinical geneticist to have the government pay for the test, but you can pay for it yourself if you have $3000+ to spare. TOPO II isn't used here and OncotypeDx type genetic testing isn't commonly done. Ki67% is used by some labs but not others - considered a bit unreliable as yet, except for research, and in my oncology unit, grade, tumour size, margins, nodes, mets, ER, PR and HER2 status along with clinical factors are the keys to determine treatment. I didn't mean to write this much, sorry. I hope Rachel goes well with her chemo. Mine starts on August 12.....am enjoying myself and the winter sun in the meantime.
Aussie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #44
NEDenise

Re: My Wife Rachel Was Just Diagnosed With HER-2+ Breast Cancer (Please Help ...)

Aussie Girl
Welcome aboard!
After reading your premier post, I can tell you are going to be a great addition to our community!
Denise
4/12/11-A/C x 4, then T/H x 4, H only,Q3 weeks
8/26/11 finished Taxol!!!
10/7/11 mastectomy/DIEP recon
11/11 radiation x28
1/12/12 1st CANCER-VERSARY!
1/12 Low EF/Herceptin "Holiday" :(
2/12 EF up - Back on Herceptin, heart meds
4/2/1212 surgery to repair separated incision from DIEP recon
6/8/12 Return to work :)
6/17/12 Fall, shatter wrist,surgery to repair/insert plate :(
7/10/12 last Herceptin
7/23/12 Brain Mets %$&#! 3cm and 1cm
8/10/12 Gamma knife surgery, LOTS of steroids;start H/Tykerb
8/23/12 Back to work
12/20/12 Injure back-3 weeks in wheel chair
1/12/13 2nd CANCER-VERSARY!
1/14/13 herniate disk in back - surgery to repair
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
5/3/13 Start Avastin to shrink necrosis
5/10/13 begin weaning steroids
6/18/13 Brain MRI - Avastin seems to be working!
6/20/13 quarterly CT - chest, abdomen, pelvis - All Clear!
7/5/13 finally off steroids!!
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
7/13/13 Symptoms return - back on steroids
7/26/13 Back on Avastin - try again!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
9/9/13 Brain MRI - fingers crossed
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote