HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-02-2009, 12:29 PM   #1
DianneS

Tamoxifen and CYP2D6 metabolizer

I am considering Tamoxifen. However I am learning that there is a test, the CYP2D6 metabolizer status, which can tell whether Tamoxifen would improve outcome based on your metabolizer or cause/promote cancer growth in poor metabolizers.

Anyone have this test? I would like to know more about it!!

Thanks,
Dianne
8/9 Richardson/Bloom test
ER+ weakly positive
Alred Score: 4 (suggesting I would strongly benefit from hormone therapy)
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Surgery: Sept. 9, 2008 -Modified radical mastectomy, right breast. I chose to have a simple mastectomy on the left. Began Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin November, 2008. Finished T/C March 2009. Finished #16 Herceptin Sept. 09. AI's and Tamoxifen made me sick. Began natural Tamoxifen which is Quercetin, I3C and a combo of other supplements. I am also a DES Daughter. There is now a link between DES exposure in utero and breast cancer!
DianneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
DianneS

Re: Tamoxifen and CYP2D6 metabolizer

Aw shucks. I was hoping to get some response. Hasn't anyone been tested before they went on Tamoxifen to see if they are weak, strong or? metabolizers? I just need to know if you were tested - and the test is called the CYP2D6, was it done by bloodtest or cheek swab?
Thanks,
Dianne
ER+ weakly positive
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Surgery: Sept. 9, 2008 -Modified radical mastectomy, right breast. I chose to have a simple mastectomy on the left. Began Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin November, 2008. Finished T/C March 2009. Finished #16 Herceptin Sept. 09. AI's and Tamoxifen made me sick. Began natural Tamoxifen which is Quercetin, I3C and a combo of other supplements. I am also a DES Daughter. There is now a link between DES exposure in utero and breast cancer!
Old 10-03-2009, 06:56 PM   #3
WolverineFan

I have not heard of this test, but will finish my chemo this Tuesday (yeah!!). I am assuming my onc will discuss Tomixfen in my appt with her on Tuesday, so I will ask her about it. Thanks for the heads up.

3/35/2009 - Diagnosed, age 39
5/7/09 - Mastectomy and reconstruction started. Two tumors found. Tumors were side by side. DCIS tumor was 2.8 cm, ER-, PR-, grade 2. Invasive tumor was 1.1 cm, poorly differentiated, grade 3, ER+90%, PR+95%, HER2+3. Thankfully, no node involvement.
5/29/09 - Second surgery resulting from difficulty healing from mastectomy.
6/2/09 - Began Herceptin treatments
6/23/09 - Began Taxotere and Carboplatin treatments along with Herception every 3 weeks.
10/06/09 - Completed Taxotere and Carboplatin - Yeah!!!
10/27/2009 - Herceptin maintenance and began Femara
12/10/2009 - 2nd stage reconstruction surgery
2/2010 - Body rejected saline implant
3/18/2010 - Second stage reconstruction using silicone implant
5/4/10 - Completed Herceptin - YEE-HAA!
May '10 - Body rejects silicone implant...taking a break.
11/29/10 - Hysterectomy
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 04:42 PM   #4
Debbie L.

Being a good CYP2D6 metabolizer doesn't guarantee that Tamoxifen will be effective for an individual. But it's looking pretty sure that Tamoxifen does not do much for the other (much smaller) group - the poor metabolizers.

I've heard it said that one way to do this is just to take the Tamoxifen and see if you get side effects like hot flashes. If you do, you can be assured that you're a metabolizer. If not, maybe then it's worth getting tested, as there are many metabolizers who do not get side effects - the other way round (no se's) doesn't tell you anything for sure.

But this whole question is awaiting more evidence. That's why docs are slow to move on it - they're waiting for better information. That said, I don't really see a downside to doing the test, unless it's really expensive. Do you know how much it costs?

And while we're on the topic, there was one study (SABCS 08?) that found an association between response and se profile for AI's, also - although I don't think they have any idea what the mechanism would be there, as they do with the CYP2D6 theory for Tamoxifen.

Debbie Laxague

Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:36 AM   #5
schoolteacher

I have had this test. I requested the test after learning about it here on the board.

I have the genes to be a good metabolizers. In December, I have been on Tamoxifen for a year.

Amelia
schoolteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:09 PM   #6
DianneS

Hi,

I called the company that does the testing - Genelex. They are sending me a specimen kit; basically a cheek swab that I do at home then send it back to them for analysis. They will send a report to me and my doctor as well. The cost is relatively cheap - $295 and it takes about 2 weeks. I asked for a STAT test so it's $100 more. But I am seeing my doctor soon and need to know if I'm a candidate for Tamoxifen or not. I am weakly ER positive.

At any rate this company Genelex sounds very interesting. The DNA that they are testing for me will tell me about other drug interactions as well. You get a 30-90 day trial subscription to their website which lists all of the drugs and how they interact with your DNA - after that period you can either pay $24 a year for the service or drop it. Not only drugs are to be listed on the software but anything you take - supplements, herbal, whatever. They can very much interact with drugs.

I live in Canada and the cost of the test is not reimbursed, but I can't complain as everything else to do with medical here is free....but I think some insurance companies in the States will pay for it. The fellow I spoke to said that the slowness in getting this test available to everyone is largely controlled by the huge pharmaceutical companies in the States (no brainer there!) who don't want people to know how their drugs interact. He said drug interactions are the 4th leading cause of death (I think it's 4th) so I think this information is good to know.

The number for Genelex is 1-800-523-6487. I called the Mayo Clinic but they wanted me to have 'an account' before they would continue! I thought they were not for profit....anyway if anyone has info about Genelex or wants more info I'd be happy to share what I know.

Dianne
ER+ weakly positive
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Old 10-08-2009, 01:29 PM   #7
AlaskaAngel

Post Re: Tamoxifen and CYP2D6 metabolizer

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...608#post211608
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:35 PM   #8
TSund

Ruth had the "tamoxifen metabolizer test" upon recommendation of our onc, who is a pretty well known researcher. Makes sense to me to have it.

What's interesting to me is that the research of tamoxifen vs AI's did not include this test, which potentially flaws the data some and bring the results of the two drugs even closer together. That being said, Ruth will be switching within 6 months or so.

Best,

Terri
Breast MRI showed 2 enlarged nodes, not palpable
100%ER+, 95%PR+, HER2+++
6x pre-surgery TCH chemo finished 9/15/7 Dramatic tumor shrinkage
1 year Herceptin till 6/08
MRM 10/11/07, SNB: 0/4 nodes + Path: tumors reduced to only a few "scattered cells"
now 50% ER+, PR- ???
Rads finished 1/16/08
Added Tamoxifen,
Finished Herceptin 05/08
NOW is the time to appreciate life to the fullest.

Last edited by TSund; 10-08-2009 at 04:37 PM..
TSund is offline   Reply With Quote