HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-30-2006, 02:31 AM   #1
R.B.

The traditional diet of Greece and cancer.

THIS THREAD IS PRIMARILY ABOUT THE THE EVIDENCE THAT EXCESS OMEGA 6 AND LACK OF OMEGA 3S SIGNIFICANTLY INCREASES THE RISK OF BREAST CANCER.

(I apologise for the "shout" but I think this is something worth shouting about - figures as high as a 70% for reduction in BC risk deserve a hearing)

WE NEED 1/2-2% OF CALORIES AS OMEGA 6 1-4 GRAMS FOR A 2000 CALORIE DIET WE EAT 8-13% OF CALORIES.

WE ARE SERIOUSLY OVERLOADING ON OMEGA 6.

THE BIGGEST CULPRIT OF EXCESS OMEGA 6 ARE HIGH OMEGA SIX VEGETABLE OILS,WHICH ARE MOST OF THE COMMON ONES FOUND THROUGHOUT THE FOOD CHAIN.

WE FEED LIVESTOCK ON GRAIN WHICH DISTORTS THEIR OMEGA 3/6 BALANCE BY A FACTOR AS HIGH AS 10 TIMES, AND THAT INCLUDES THEIR PRODUCTS EGGS, AND DAIRY. GRAIN FEEDING ALSO REDUCES ANTIOXIDANTS AND SOME VITAMINS eg K.

WE HAVE DEPLETED THE MINERAL CONTENT OF LIVESTOCK AND VEGETABLES OF MINERALS BY BETWEEN 20% AND 70% IN THE LAST 50 YEARS. http://www.mineralresourcesint.co.uk..._1940_2002.pdf

WE ARE AGAIN SEEING IODINE DEFICIENCIES IN SIGNIFICANT PARTS OF WESTERN POPULATIONS (EG AUSTRALIA 2005).
IODINE HAS A SPECIAL ROLE IN THE BREAST, AND DEFICIENCY MAY HAVE A ROLE IN BREAST CANCER.
EXCELLENT VIDEO http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37340
USEFUL PAPER http://www.articlearchives.com/medic...2297945-1.html Iodine and iodide: functions and benefits beyond the thyroid.
By: Rheault, Shana,Olmstead, Stephen,Ralston, Janet,Meiss, Dennis
EXCELLENT SOURCE OF INFORMATION ON IODINE - http://www.iodine4health.com/index.htm

VITAMIN D PLAYS A ROLE IN CANCER PREVENTION. VITAMIN D DEFICIENCIES ARE INCREASING DUE TO LACK OF MODEST SUN EXPOSURE. FACTOR 15 SUNCREAMS BLOCK 90% OF UVB. UVB IS NEEDED TO MAKE VITAMIN D.
EXCELLENT VIDEOS ON VITAMIN D. http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37448 and another on melanoma, sunscreen, ozone etc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeXtG...layer_embedded and one on the risk of cancer including BC with reductions of risk of up to 80% http://www.uctv.tv/search-details.aspx?showID=15767 .
(Caucasians who have not seen the sun for a while can make up to 50,000 IU of vitamin D in half an hour of full body exposure to sunshine, which suggests to me we were intended to get more than a few hundred units a day.)

AND THIS WILL MAKE YOU THINK ABOUT BEING TOO LIBERAL WITH THE SUNSCREEN
The Chemical Sunscreen Health Disaster http://www.skinbiology.com/toxicsunscreens.html

WE REMOVE OMEGA3S FROM THE FOOD CHAIN BECAUSE THEY DO NOT KEEP.

WE DO NOT EAT ENOUGH LONG CHAIN OMEGA 3. LONG CHAIN OMEGAS 3S ARE FOUND PRIMARILY IN OILY FISH. FISH AND SHELLFISH ARE ALSO GOOD SOURCES OF MINERALS AND IODINE.

I will try and revisit this thread for the first time since I wrote it in the next few days and amend it where my knowledge has moved on. I am removing the numerous appalling spelling errors with the assistance of an online spell checker. I am definitely a little word blind I think, as it is only with the spell checker that the errors stand out, or maybe it is the way I read - anyway my sincere apologies I had no idea there were so many spelling errors.

I have recently (2008) found I had a large jaw abscess which has now been removed. A capped tooth had died and caused an asymptomatic abscess. It must have been there some time, several years I would guess.They found the tooth abscess but not the jaw abscess about a year ago. I had complained about discharges and bad tastes, periodic worries about bad breath to doctors and dentists, but nobody had suggested a jaw abscess, or asked if it had ever been suggested that filling/caps were close to tooth nerves etc. It turns out the abscess had been leeching into the sinuses, which may explain a slightly fuzzy brain, anxiety etc . . . Fuzzy brain may have contributed to the above. It is minor compared with what you all go through, but does emphasise the importance of dental health. I have just had a CT scan, as I am not certain they have yet got all the infection. Update - the CT scan disclosed more infection where I said I believed it was; all of which has taken more than a year. Two further infections, one of which had resulted in a significant area of infected jaw bone, were found (late 2009), and both related to root filled teeth; a subject on their own. In summary all three of my root filled teeth had resulted in bone infection in the jaw.

[Since I started this thread I have written a book (2008) on Omega 6 and 3. It looks at a wide range of health issues including mental health. It only has a short section on breast cancer. It will be updated fairly soon with a simple summary and how to section.

It is called Omega Six The Devils Fat because EXCESS Omega six as well as having huge health implications arguably promotes societal changes in behaviour in the "Seven deadly sins" (extravagance later lust, gluttony, greed, sloth, wrath, envy, and pride - wikipedia). Fish (a source of Omega 3 and minerals) has been promoted in many cultures for 1000s of years. Those following Christian teachings would have eaten fish about 180 day a year. All of which is dealt with in less than a page.

Omega 6 arguably controls our ability to breed and links that ability to the fertility of the environment. Excess Omega 6 and lack of Omega 3, combined with a lack of vitamin D minerals and iodine, is arguably one of the greatest threats to human survival because all these nutrients are essential to brain function, and because excess Omega 6 subtly alters our behaviour towards more male characteristics, including, aggression, impulsiveness, and acquisitiveness as in territoriality, which are all seen in the breeding behaviour of male animals.

These nutrients are equally essential to wider health.

The book is a serious work with over 900 references

www.Omegasixthedevilsfat.com

RB

[added 26th Feb 2010]

More on food fats omega three and six.

RB

ABSTRACT

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_docsum

1: Eur J Cancer Prev. 2004 Jun;13(3):219-30. Related Articles, Links
Click here to read
The traditional diet of Greece and cancer.

Simopoulos AP.

The Center for Genetics, Nutrition and Health, 2001 S Street, N.W., Suite 530, Washington, DC 20009, USA. cgnh@bellatlantic.net

The term 'Mediterranean diet', implying that all Mediterranean people have the same diet, is a misnomer. The countries around the Mediterranean basin have different diets, religions and cultures. Their diets differ in the amount of total fat, olive oil, type of meat, wine, milk, cheese, fruits and vegetables; and the rates of coronary heart disease and cancer, with the lower death rates and longer life expectancy occurring in Greece. The diet of Crete represents the traditional diet of Greece prior to 1960. Analyses of the dietary pattern of the diet of Crete shows a number of protective substances, such as selenium, glutathione, a balanced ratio of n-6/n-3 essential fatty acids (EFA), high amounts of fibre, antioxidants (especially resveratrol from wine and polyphenols from olive oil), vitamins E and C, some of which have been shown to be associated with lower risk of cancer, including cancer of the breast. Epidemiological studies and animal experiments indicate that n-3 fatty acids exert protective effects against some common cancers, especially cancers of the breast, colon and prostate. Many mechanisms are involved, including suppression of neoplastic transformation, cell growth inhibition, and enhanced apoptosis and anti-angiogenicity, through the inhibition of eicosanoid production from n-6 fatty acids; and suppression of cyclooxygenase 2 (COX-2), interleukin 1 (IL-1) and IL-6 gene expression by n-3 fatty acids. Recent intervention studies in breast cancer patients indicate that n-3 fatty acids, and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) in particular, increase the response to chemopreventive agents. In patients with colorectal cancer, eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and DHA decrease cell proliferation, and modulate favourably the balance between colonic cell proliferation and apoptosis. These findings should serve as a strong incentive for the initiation of intervention trials that will test the effect of specific dietary patterns in the prevention and management of patients with cancer.

Publication Types:More on food fats omega three and six.

Last edited by R.B.; 07-20-2014 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: Update
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote