HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Clinical Trials
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-08-2005, 10:29 PM   #1
Lolly

I had my last dose last week, so this post is a little late. Everything went smoothly, as usual, the staff there is so wonderful they make it seem so routine rather than the incredible thing that it is, a CANCER VACCINE!!!
Over 25 years ago, my husband's father was diagnosed with advanced melanoma, and as you can imagine the treatment was brutal. I remember thinking, "some day, maybe there'll be a easier way, maybe it'll be as simple as getting our flu shots". Little did I know a vaccine would actually be a reality and that I would be one of the lucky ones chosen to help bring this new therapy along. Life is wonderfully mysterious.

<3,
Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 05:04 AM   #2
Cheryl

and you are wonderously inspiring and brave. Thank you.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:43 PM   #3
al from canada

Congrats Lolly,

You are also one of my personal "hall of fame (ers)"

When do you get the final work-up results, immune response analysis?

Also. have they talked about booster shots?

Linda is still working on reducing her liver tumor load and we will probably be requesting CAT scans for August....that will tell alot.

All the best,
Al
Old 07-14-2005, 10:46 PM   #4
Lolly

Thank you Cheryl and Al.

Al, I got to see a graph of my T-cell response at the fourth visit; that was pretty neat, especially since they had been busy little guys. After the blood draw this month, the remaining blood draws will be done by my chemo nurses and sent to Seattle, so I'll be staying in touch with the trial folks by e-mail to hopefully learn how the T-cells are doing...They aren't able to provide copies of the blood analysis, as it's considered "proprietary data" and won't be released until all the data is in. Maybe some info will be released at the next SABCS? Until then, I'll share any info they give me.

"Booster shots" were talked about in the context of another trial, if I'm not mistaken. I'll be sure and ask about that this month.

I'm keeping you guys in my thoughts and prayers that Linda will get the go-ahead to enter one of the trials; You've worked so hard to get this far and we're all pulling for you.

<3,
Lolly
Old 07-15-2005, 09:37 AM   #5
al from canada

Thanks Lolly,

Al
Old 07-24-2005, 11:44 AM   #6
Bruce

Lolly ---- Congrats on completing the Vaccine portion of the trial. I have one question and maybe you know the answere. Will you be taken off herceptine over time to see if your Immune system will now be able to fight the cancer by itself? or maybe there is another part of the trial that is working on that aspect. Thanks again for your wonderful updates and courage to undergo all that you have. You are a true survivor and winner in everybody's mind who are particepants on this board.
Bruce
Old 08-04-2005, 02:08 PM   #7
Lolly

Bruce, sorry this is late as I didn't see your question till now!

I've thought about that, and hope someday I'll feel confident enough to stop all treatment for awhile as I think it would be good for my immune system to have a chance to "fly solo" and I'm more than curious to see if the vaccine would make a difference. BUT, that's a way's down the road and my oncologist, although he would support me if I decided to test myself, is not encouraging that yet. The Tumor Group has mentioned also that "someday maybe you could stop Herceptin" but they are very careful to not influence my treatment decisions. So, don't know, but would sure like it if that could happen some day :)

<3,
Lolly
Old 08-07-2005, 10:41 AM   #8
Bruce

Lolly -- Thanks for your reply. I think staying on herceptin is the right thing to do and as long as there are no real bad side effects its a good thing. Thanks for all your doing.
Bruce
Old 08-12-2005, 10:43 AM   #9
Anna

I'm thinking about possibly going on the vaccine trial ( currently on Xeloda and Herceptin)
but I'm on a break from the Xeloda due to some side effects.

Is it possible to travel to Seattle for the trial how long would I have
to stay there at a time?
I've heard that there are 6 vaccinations and due to that I think
it would be possible for me to fly over there each time.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:51 AM   #10
Lolly

Anna, you can definitely travel to Seattle for each visit. The first visit takes about 7 hours with all the preliminary stuff, so that's an overnighter, but the remaining visits take only 2-3 hours so it would be possible, depending on where you are, to fly in, have the vaccine and fly out the same day. There are shuttle services from the airport to the University, and also if you need to stay over some of the hotels offer shuttle service to UW also.

Contact Patty Fintak with the Tumor Vaccine Group to help determine your eligibility for one of the trials, they have several going:

Patty Fintak, M.A.
paf3@u.washington.edu

Also, here's a link to the Patient Family Housing Guide for UW:
http://www.uwmedicine.org/Facilities/UWMed...ousingguide.htm

Depending on your stage and status, there are several possible trials for you; the one I qualified for involved 6 vaccines, and Michele U was enrolled in one which involved only 3 vaccines. Definitely contact Patty and get the ball rolling if you feel you might qualify. Good luck!

<3,
Lolly