HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-01-2005, 07:11 PM   #1
Jane

Frequency of scanning after chemo?

Hi -
I'm new to group and i have a question: once you were finished with chemo/radiation, how often do you get scanned to check for any mets?

I'm 46, was dx in March 2005 with Stage 3 breast cancer in right breast, 6 out of 15 lymph nodes positive, 6.5 cm tumor, ER+, PR+, HER2 3+. I had a bilateral mastectomy in April 2005.

I'm finished with 8 rounds of chemo and will begin 6 weeks of daily radiation in December. I'm also receiving Herceptin and will get some kind of hormone therapy as well (but not Tamoxifen, as I was on it for 3 years before getting my cancer dx.)

My oncologist says she wouldn't do periodic body scans after i'm done with radiation - unless I request it.

This seems strange to me. Any comments/observations?

Thanks very much.
Jane
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 07:24 PM   #2
Becky

Jane

Did you get any scans to begin with (CT of abdomen, lungs and chest as well as a bone scan)? If not, you should get these done and maybe a brain MRI. You should get this done again in 6 months which will be your one year anniversary and get it done at least once a year for awhile.

Welcome

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 07:33 PM   #3
Jane

becky,

thanks for your answer.

I did get a baseline CT of abdomen, lungs and chest as well as a bone scan. The original found a tiny "hot spot" on a back rib so i was scanned again in six months (October 2005). That most recent bone scan was all clear.

jane
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 08:14 PM   #4
PatS

I was diag. stage 3 in July 2002 and get a bone scan and chest/abdomen/pelvis ct scan once a year. It does seem to vary though. I've heard others say their oncs don't do any scans unless they have some type of symptoms.

Pat
PatS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 07:18 PM   #5
Lori

Smile

Jane,

I wondered the same thing about scans. My doctor is doing the same thing, waiting until rads are done. I had the initial scans, and will have more next month (10 months after the first). My surgeon did order a chest x-ray, which came back clear, but those are unreliable.

Lori
(stage 3, er+pr+her2+++)
Lori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 07:31 PM   #6
sassy

Jane,

I too am 46 and was diagnosed Feb 05, stage 2, had left mast, er+,pr+her2+++, 5 of 14 positive nodes. Have finished 4 dd a/c, 12 taxol/herceptin, continuing herceptin for balance of 1 year. Doing rads now, 22 of 33 complete. Will go on AI after rads. I had all tests and scans before beginning treatment, no metastisis. My onc also says no tests or scans are planned, only if symptoms present. He tells me this follows ASCO recommendations. Not sure how I feel about this. Constant follow up tests could be reassuring, or possibly a constant source of worry.

Sassy
________
WetLana

Last edited by sassy; 08-22-2011 at 08:33 AM..
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 09:56 PM   #7
kristen

Hi Jane,

The post above is right, the onc's are following ASCO's recommendation on scans. Yearly your supposed to get a chest and mammogram.

I don't like it either, and have an onc. who is very sensitive to the patients peace of mind and well being. My BS wanted me to have mamm's every 6 monts for the first 2 years and see her every 3 months for check ups. The onc. I saw her every 3 months for the first 2 years for blood work and check ups. And now going to both every 6 months until year 5. We will be running Tumor markers and chest and mamms' at those times. My neurologist, runs a MRI of the brain every 6 months because I have headaches previous to BC and just wants to be careful that we don't miss anything. I think we will continue to do that for a while yet. At the end of 2 years just to give me peace of mind, I got my onc to get me a PET/Ct scam reason restaging of BC and found it all clear! That has been the greatest gift she could have ever given me, otherwise I have never had one.
It sounds like your onc, will give you what you want. I tell myself everything is fine, but still find myself worrying until I get the results, but so far so good, and plan on it being that way. My onc, thinks symptoms will reveal themselves before any tumor markers or scans will show anything. I think it's hard for them to understan that it's hard for us to trust these bodies of ours again. Best to you.
MRM: 11/07/03
TX: TCH-BRICG Study-6 tx's; 12/15/03
Herceptin; til 12/14/04
Rads: 30 days
BRCA neg
S-Gap: 12/15/04
Oct 05: LAVH
NED
kristen is offline   Reply With Quote