HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-13-2007, 03:57 AM   #1
R.B.

Vitamins and supplements inc CoQ10 - yes or no discussion

Flori said that she was seeing A Kenneth Conklin. I looked on google and found this very interesting discussion of supplements in treatment including a contribution by him. He is described as an integrative oncologist.

You may like to print it out and take it with you if discussing supplements including CoQ10.

As usual I post this to inform debate and am not sufficiently informed to to comment on merits.

I am afraid beyond the abstract you will have to read it as it is detailed and covers quite a lot of ground.

It also provides further links and references which you should be able to find using Google.

RB

http://caonline.amcancersoc.org/cgi/eletters/55/5/319

Abstract

However, if a drug causes a side effect by a mechanism other than that which accounts for its antineoplastic activity, selective protection is possible. For example, the cardiotoxicity of anthracyclines most likely results from oxidative damage to mitochondria and displacement of coenzyme Q10 from the electron transport system of the inner mitochondrial membrane (not inhibition of topoisomerase II), an effect that is selective for mitochondria of cardiac cells (4). Supplemental coenzyme Q10, in both preclinical and (limited) clinical studies, appears to prevent this toxicity without interfering with antineoplastic activity.
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 03:01 PM   #2
dorinda

so in plain english is it ok to take coq10 during chemo. i didnt ask my onc, i just figured it was ok since some of you ladies take it. i also take milk thistle, fish oil and b12 sublingual. oh well i will ask my chemo nurse.
nov 2006 dx. with bc. 3 tumors removed from left breast lumpectomy done. her2 postive er+pr-. scans showed extensive spine mets(to many to count) ,3 tumors on left rib,one tumor on skull and 3 tumors on liver. stage IV from get go. dec.2006 started chemo taxol and herceptine wkly. zometa monthly. rescanned in march 2007, liver tumors shrinking a little. bones to early to tell but pain is gone in my back. rescanned in june 2007. liver mets gone, bone scan looking better but still alot in my spine. still on taxol and herceptine. zometa monthly. rescanned in august due to ca 2729 going up. liver still good , mets in ribs and skull gone but multiple areas still on lumbar and sacrum. mri of brain august 07 negative for mets.I AM BELIEVLING GOD FOR MY HEALING.
dorinda is offline   Reply With Quote