HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-18-2009, 04:22 PM   #1
Lani

triple therapy yields better results than standard of treatment for Stage IVs

ASCO 2009: ABSTRACT #1020: N0337: Phase II study of capecitabine in combination with vinorelbine and trastuzumab for the first or second treatment of HER2+ metastatic breast cancer [American Society of Clinical Oncology]
Background: Trastuzumab-containing regimes have dramatically improved outcome of patients with HER2+ breast cancer. Efforts to improve efficacy and tolerability of combination regimens with this monoclonal antibody are important for patient care. Thus, we conducted a multi-institutional phase II study of a triplet combination in patients eligible to receive either first- or second-line treatment for HER2+ metastatic breast cancer (MBC).
Methods: A phase II study designed to test that the true confirmed response rate (CRR) was at most 45% versus a true CRR of at least 65% was done (March 2005-June 2008). This design required that at least 25/45 confirmed responses in evaluable patients for the treatment to be considered promising. Patients received capecitabine 825 mg/m2 po (days 1-14), vinorelbine intravenously (IV) 25 mg/m2 days 1 and 8 every 3 weeks and trastuzumab IV 8mg/kg day 1, week 1, and then 6 mg/kg q 3 weeks. Tissue and blood have been collected for future studies on biomarkers.
Results: 47 women were accrued, one patient cancelled participation prior to receiving any study drug, and another had a major protocol violation. 45 patients were evaluable and 30 (67%) achieved a confirmed response, (26 patients, 58% had a confirmed partial response and 4 patients, 9% had a confrimed complete response). Median progression free survival was 11.3 months (95% CI 8.4-23.2 months), median overall survival was 27.2 months (95% CI: 26.6-NA months), and among the 30 responders, the median duration of response time was 15.5 months (95% 7.7-26.1 months). The most common grade 3 events include neutropenia 61%, fatigue 13%, skin reaction-hand-foot 11%, and leukopenia 11%. Alopecia was not noted with this regimen.
Conclusions: This triplet combination is effective, safe, and is promising in patients with HER2+ MBC. A phase III study should be conducted to compare the best doublet with this triplet combination whether this would lead to better clinical outcomes.
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:17 PM   #2
Rich66

Any thought on whether this could work with someone who technically progressed on Capecitabine?
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:50 PM   #3
jml

How funny, Rich...as I scrolled down to read your response, I was asking myself "I wonder if this combo would work for me..."
I progressed while on Navelbine + Herceptin, but wonder if adding Xeloda would bring NED around...?
jml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
Rich66

I guess the question is whether the combo is additive or has synergy.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:31 PM   #5
Sheila

Jessica
I was thinking the same thing...i progressed on Xeloda, just wondering if it was added to the Navelbine I am on now it would work again....

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:11 PM   #6
StephN

Thumbs up

The "triple therapy" idea has been around for many years.

For my raging mets I was put on a three-drug approach which included Herceptin and Navelbine mentioned in this study, with the addition of Taxol. (Capacitabine was still in development then.) I believe this was called "anti-microtubule" trial, with the addition of Herceptin for those of us HER2 positive.

These drugs did the trick for me. I took them on a weekly basis, and had red and white blood cell production support. It was a hard go, but worth it in the end. I happen to know that there are at least 2 of us still alive, and we both had Herceptin in addition to the other two drugs.

At the time, I was posting about this in 2003, most of the other members here said their docs did not support this type of chemo as it would impair "quality of life" too much. All these drugs were approved then and could have been given to anyone who wanted them.

Glad I bit the bullet and went ahead with that combo.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:30 PM   #7
Rich66

Yeah Steph,
You are certainly one of the success stories I come back to.
Capecitabine is known as antimetabolite..similar enough to Taxol?
For what it's worth, mom "progressed" on Xeloda in a couple of lung spots, not an overall kind of thing.
I wonder if the situation is heterogeneous, requiring blocking different pathways here and there. i.e. maybe the combo with Xeloda could work.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:54 AM   #8
Rich66

Thinking more about this since there seems to be steam behind the idea of cancer stem cells being ER-.
Still don't have answer on whther additive effects make it worthwhile even if Capecitabine alone didn't do the trick. Anyone else ask their oncs?
Old 06-08-2009, 11:51 AM   #9
Nancy L

Rich,

Can you please provide a link to the literature discussing the hypothesis/research that cancer stem cells are ER-?

Thanks
Nancy L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:43 PM   #10
Rich66

Resistance to Endocrine Therapy: Are Breast Cancer Stem Cells the Culprits? Ciara S. O’Brien1, Sacha J. Howell1, Gillian Farnie1 and Robert B. Clarke1
(1) Breast Biology Group, School of Cancer and Imaging Sciences, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, University of Manchester, Wilmslow Road, Manchester, M20 4BX, UK
Robert B. Clarke
Email: robert.clarke@manchester.ac.uk Received: 16 December 2008 Accepted: 10 February 2009 Published online: 28 February 2009
Abstract From a developmental point of view, tumors can be seen as aberrant versions of their tissue of origin. For example, tumors often partially retain differentiation markers of their tissue of origin and there is evidence that they contain cancer stem cells (CSCs) that drive tumorigenesis. In this review, we summarise current evidence that breast CSCs may partly explain endocrine resistance in breast cancer. In normal breast, the stem cells are known to possess a basal phenotype and to be mainly ERα−. If the hierarchy in breast cancer reflects this, the breast CSC may be endocrine resistant because it expresses very little ERα and can only respond to treatment by virtue of paracrine influences of neighboring, differentiated ERα+ tumor cells. Normal breast epithelial stem cells are highly dependent on the EGFR and other growth factor receptors and it may be that the observed increased growth factor receptor expression in endocrine-resistant breast cancers reflects an increased proportion of CSCs selected by endocrine therapies. There is evidence from a number of studies that breast CSCs are ERα− and EGFR+/HER2+, which would support this view. CSCs also express mesenchymal genes which are suppressed by ERα expression, further indicating the mutual exclusion between ERα+ cells and the CSCs. As we learn more about CSCs, differentiation and the expression and functional activity of the ERα in these cells in diverse breast tumor sub-types, it is hoped that our understanding will lead to new modalities to overcome the problem of endocrine resistance in the clinic.

Full article:
http://www.springerlink.com/content/.../fulltext.html