HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-06-2007, 02:12 AM   #1
hermiracles

Severe reaction to 1st dose of Herceptin

Hello friends - I am just back from Hospital - yet again! - having had a severe allergic reaction to my 1st dose of Herceptin!

It was last Tuesday and I was half-way thru the infusion when I broke out in a cold swet. It was very scary. It was full-on rigors - my temp went to 39+degrees and I was freezing cold - had lock jaw and ended up with fluid on my lungs from the inflammation. I was terrified as was my hubby who was there watching it all with our 2 bubbas. The medical team were pretty shocked as well - apparently this sort of reaction is very rare and according to the literature "rarely fatal" !!??

Having spent the last 2 days in hospital feeling really ill - for supervision I had vision of never seeing my bubbas ever again and dying before I had any chance to prepare things for them if I do die - I was not in a very good head space.

Still I survived and I am home now - I can't believe the last few months. Its all happpening so fast. The Onc says they will review with the Herceptin manufacturers whether I should continue on the Herceptin (slower infusion with extra pre-med) or whether I should just switch to Tykerb. Meanwhile Im to have radiotherapy to my hip and possibly spine.

Im trying to stay positive but the reality is my head is so focused on my fears of death and my babies having no mamma. :-((

I live in a large country town - a friend is looking into possibly switching oncologists for me to someone in Sydney where maybe I would get more up to date care.

Feeling pretty scared at the moment. Grateful I can come here and talk with you folks.
Blessings all
Hermiracles
09/07 Stage 2 bilat. mastectomy R/ b. clear extens DCIS/IDC Paget’s 8 nodes clear ER(<5%) HER2+++ CT clear
11/07 Portacath - FEC
15/11/07 Stage 4 Emerg op - hip replacemt #NOF bone mets H/Taxotere
12/07 Rx to 'spots' on spine/R/hip/femur 3wkly H
2008 H+T mets to rib/sternum? Aredia CT clear! Cont. H + Aredia 07/08 1 wk Palliative Care - mets to lungs + ?1 to brain
09/08 Stop H complete Epirubicin 1wk PC new brain mets
10/08 2wks WBR 1wk PC 22/10/08 Tykerb/Xeloda 12/08 6 CEREBRAL METS COMPLETELY GONE! Rib mets down to <1cm.
01/09 Tumour markers normal! Rx to L/arm
03/09 LUNGS CLEAR (ALL NODULES GONE!), brain clear, liver clear. Bones stable! ~ THANK YOU GOD
07/09 Repeat CT Scan ~ ALL organs clear apart from bones which remain stable. I walk in gratitude.
hermiracles is offline   Reply With Quote